Digital File Duplicates are my Rumination

There has to be a better way to do this than physically checking every file name in a search against all other storage mediums!

Problem:

My NAS has begun to fill up, which is currently a DNS 320L with a single WD RED 2TB storage drive. The theory was just go and buy another drive and drop it in as there are two bays, unfortunately on reading the manual found that this would delete all the files. So bought another WD RED 2TB and a Seagate  SSHD 4TB, to enable a transfer of the current data on the NAS across to, which took nearly two days to complete over the network! Then I could fit the new drive and run the DNS 320L set-up allowing me to have 4TB of NAS storage (the maximum is 8TB so there is some room for my digital life to grow).

But during the above process some files would not transfer, so I thought if there was Windows program that could compare the files by digital signature not just the file name?

Then wouldn't it be possible to remove the drive from the NAS and plug it into my main rig and run the comparison program?

Question:

Are there any recommendations for Windows programs that do the comparing task for my digital life?

Thus saving me from "chewing the cud" so to speak...

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

Glarys utilities 5  has a duplicate finder built into it, so does Ccleaner....from what i remember the Ccleaner one works well and lets you check before deleting.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

14 hours ago, super_skank said:

Glarys utilities 5  has a duplicate finder built into it, so does Ccleaner....from what i remember the Ccleaner one works well and lets you check before deleting.

I actually am familiar with the cCleaner product for the cleaner process, and was looking for a program that's only purpose is duplicate finding. Being that this is going to be used for my archive I would actually purchase one if it was operationally acceptable.

But I have not seen the Glarys utilities 5, you say it is worth a look, have you used it at all?

Thanks for the reply...

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

6 hours ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

I actually am familiar with the cCleaner product for the cleaner process, and was looking for a program that's only purpose is duplicate finding. Being that this is going to be used for my archive I would actually purchase one if it was operationally acceptable.

But I have not seen the Glarys utilities 5, you say it is worth a look, have you used it at all?

Thanks for the reply...

Glary's is a very good suite, similar to CCleaner, but has a lot more features.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----