Use Tv as Monitor?

nuttysandwich
Go to solution Solved by That_Random_Guy,
1 minute ago, nuttysandwich said:

i'm not much of a professional but i do get pretty competitive in gaming

you will not be competitive with a tv. tvs are not monitors

Should I use a Tv as a Monitor. Right now i have a 27 inch monitor but now i want a 32 in, I found that 32in tv are cheaper than monitors. Should i do it?

depends really. tvs are definately not monitors. they usually have a high latency. yes you can technically use one. i used a 40inch vizio for over a year. but tv 120 refresh rate is not 120 refesh rate on a monitor. at most you will get is 60hz. But yes you can do it if you want, but a tv is not a monitor so dont expect it to perform as one

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

2 minutes ago, That_Random_Guy said:

depends really. tvs are definately not monitors. they usually have a high latency. yes you can technically use one. i used a 40inch vizio for over a year. but tv 120 refresh rate is not 120 refesh rate on a monitor. at most you will get is 60hz. But yes you can do it if you want, but a tv is not a monitor so dont expect it to perform as one

as far as gaming and video browsing went how was that?

2 minutes ago, nuttysandwich said:

as far as gaming and video browsing went how was that?

what kind of games? `-`

casual gaming is fine on TVs

here's our lord and saviour on the topic

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

browsing was no problem. gaming was ok for being a casual. you wont be doing anything competitive with a tv. for general gaming and web browsing then it should work ok. Like i said the main problem is latency. my 40inch vizio had about 8-10ms latency, some tvs will have more and some will have less. i personally didnt have any problems using a tv for a long time, but you can definitely feel when a monitor has high latency. worse aim and slightly delayed mouse movements. just do a bit of research and try to find out how much latency the tv will have. i wouldnt get one that has any more than 8ms. 

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

Just now, Moonzy said:

what kind of games? `-`

casual gaming is fine on TVs

here's our lord and saviour on the topic

Rise of The Tomb Raider, L4D2, Project Cars, GTA 5,

Personally, I use the Samsung T24C300, a 24 inch tv/monitor. IPS panel, 1080p, 60Hz,....

For my needs it fits me well; I don't need more than that. Colour is ok, latency is ok. Sure, it isn't for competitive gaming or hardcore photo or video work. But it is fine for me.

So unless you are a professional in any sense, it will be fine.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

tomb raider, gta5, and maybe l4d2 should be fine, tho project cars you may see a bit during very extreme moments may show a tiny bit of lag.

should not that i dont really care about linus videos

Also like i said before just try to find out what the latency is. wouldnt do anything over 8ms

1 minute ago, Lukiewookie said:

Personally, I use the Samsung T24C300, a 24 inch tv/monitor. IPS panel, 1080p, 60Hz,....

For my needs it fits me well; I don't need more than that. Colour is ok, latency is ok. Sure, it isn't for competitive gaming or hardcore photo or video work. But it is fine for me.

So unless you are a professional in any sense, it will be fine.

1 minute ago, nuttysandwich said:

1 minute ago, That_Random_Guy said:

Agreed. If you really need low latency, TVs aren't for you.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

9 minutes ago, nuttysandwich said:

Rise of The Tomb Raider, L4D2, Project Cars, GTA 5,

ROTR should be fine

L4D2 should be fine as well `-` unless you're competitive

project cars might get you sick, the latency of TV is quite high

GTA5 should be fine

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately