HELP FAST PLEASE. PC Died, reinstall didn't work.

LukeS

Hey, so yesterday night, my HDD decided to die. My laptop is not even 2 years old and it just died. No recovery possible after I tried to externally remove files with a BlacX USB whatevthing (Luckily for me, after having my old laptop do the same exact same thing but because of a fall, I stored most all my files on onedrive (RIP all my photos and music though)).

The old specs were:

Windows 10, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB HDD. Inspiron 15 Series 3000

New specs are:
???, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 250 GB SSD. " "  " "

The problem I have encountered is that after I tried to install Windows 8 using:

It does not acknowledge that I ever had a windows key/does not work. Basically I sucessfully installed Windows 8, but it's the 90 day trial. I was hoping it would automatically accept a windows key written in the BIOS??!! (I read that it should...?). It doesn't offer a Windows 10 upgrade like I hoped, and has put me on the trial, not on the actual thing. How do I get my normal OS to work?

Also, I have to plug in my laptop via eathernet because apparently the new install does not recognize my Dell wifi's chip. Anyone know the drivers I need?

ALSO, what other drivers do I need to install?

I got finals this week so one of the worst times for my PC to die on me.

Thanks!!

-LukeS

yup. Had a very bad past 3 months. So this is nothing compared to everything else. Just a stupid road bump. lol

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

Hmmm... I seem to have downloaded the eval pack (cuz linus told me to in the video)... I need the actual Windows 8.1 start up. Anyone know where to find that. AND I ALSO NEED MY PRODUCT KEY.

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

You can't easily get your product key but you can download the recovery image from Dell's support. It should pick up your Windows 8 key during setup so you don't have to enter anything.

9 hours ago, PalladianPD said:

You can't easily get your product key but you can download the recovery image from Dell's support. It should pick up your Windows 8 key during setup so you don't have to enter anything.

Can you give me a link please?

EDIT: I found where to download it, but it won't let me because my warrenty expired 2 months ago?! Geez.

Do you use 8 pro or home? In ether case, get a product key from *somewhere* and download the iso from Microsoft. Alternatively you can try to get a clean iso *somewhere.*

11 hours ago, LukeS said:

Can you give me a link please?

EDIT: I found where to download it, but it won't let me because my warrenty expired 2 months ago?! Geez.

This link expires in 24 hours: http://software-download.microsoft.com/pr/Win8.1_English_x64.iso?t=4fda015f-4805-4651-b44c-812b72481d13&e=1460505571&h=0bfe0e591864ee1082e6eb3e02be3bd9

Created using an iPad user agent at the following URL: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows8ISO

Burn to DVD or use the official USB creation tool listed on the website.

(or extract the ISO to a USB and follow Linus' tutorial)

When you install, just continue past where it asks you for a key and install it.

Then go to Settings > Update & Security > Activation and activate it online.

(or run "slmgr /ato" from an administrator CMD prompt)

It should pull your key automagically, and activate for you, assuming nothing changed in your BIOS.

Windows 8/8.1/10 keys are [usually] embedded in the BIOS, and the OS should automagically detect and activate said keys through Microsoft.

If your machine doesn't automagically activate, reply back and we'll need to dig deeper into your BIOS using RWEverything to make sure the key is actually there.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)