Do you need more than 128gb ssd on a laptop?

Pooherino ツ

Just curious, do you ever need more than 128gb? since everything is mostly on the cloud now, all my documents are on google drive, and my photos are on icloud, and backed up by google photos. Do u have more than 128gb ssd on ur laptop? and what u use it for?

For my workload, I definitely need more. I like to do a lot of development, I have many programs on my laptop that do require some space (4 GB and up), I also have multiple Operating Systems, and I run virtual machines quite often. Lastly, of course, some games :)

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

I have all my videos files on my computer, so I've got 6.5 TB.

My boot drive is an 500 GB hard drive with Windows and a few games. I've used 133 GB so far.

If you've got very little stored locally, then I'd imagine 128 GB is ok. My minimum is 256 though.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

3 minutes ago, Lukiewookie said:

For my workload, I definitely need more. I like to do a lot of development, I have many programs on my laptop that do require some space (4 GB and up), I also have multiple Operating Systems, and I run virtual machines quite often. Lastly, of course, some games :)

what kinda of program? and which os u run?

I just have Windows 10, Office, Java Runtime, Adobe Reader, CrystaldiskInfo, and a few other trivial things installed, and I'm already at 130gb consumption on a 240gb SSD. 

If I had any games, compilers, or serious apps installed -- or any need to store video for editing, then I don't even know if 240gb would be adequate. 

I'd aim at getting at least in the 240-256gb range these days in a new machine.  If not for capacity, then simply on account of the 120gb drives having so few chips (and hence read channels) that their performance is rather poor.   SSD performance and longevity really gets hit hard if one loads up a SSD to capacity.

2 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

I just have Windows 10, Office, Java Runtime, Adobe Reader, and a few other trivial things installed, and I'm already at 130gb consumption on a 240gb SSD.

If I had any games, compilers, or serious apps installed -- or any need to store video for editing, then I don't even know if 240gb would be adequate. 

I'd aim at getting at least in the 240-256gb range these days in a new machine.  If not for capacity, then simply on account of the 120gb drives having so few chips (and hence read channels) that their performance is rather poor. 

why so much? I have office 365, Spotify, evernote, plex, Netflix, mailbird and crossy road :P, and only used 28gb

7 minutes ago, Pooherino ツ said:

what kinda of program? and which os u run?

I run Windows 10 as my secondary software, then I have Antergos Linux as my primary OS. I partitioned my drive so that each OS has 150 GB for Software etc. and then I have 700GB storage partitions accessible from both OSs for data storage purposes.

For development, I have a pile of programming languages on both OSs, and a lot of IDEs (Eclipse, PyCharm, Visual Studio, ...) on both. 

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

128GB is fine if you can always guarantee that you will have access to the cloud and you don't game/video edit, but you're reliant on stable and fast internet for everything. If it works for your usage scenario, go for it, but I feel like the $20 more for double the storage is worth it for the wiggle room and for storing local restore points. 

i7-4790K | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 | G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)

Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 | Corsair 350D | 256GB Crucial MX100 / 1TB WD Blue | Corsair RM 650 | NH-U12S
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9XN2dC | http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=Deil_Grist

8 hours ago, Pooherino ツ said:

~snip~

Greetings Pooherino ツ :)

My two cents on this: it really depends on how much storage you are actually using. If you have everything you need on a local or online cloud  system and your applications that you work with don't exceed that storage space I see no reason why you would need more storage space. The OS with the drivers and updates is around 35GB so you have around 80GB worth of storage space and if that can hold your work applications then a 128GB SSD should be enough for you. There are people who work on applications that take up much space for their local folders or include huge libraries of additional data needed for the work and need to store the data produced by the application on a local drive before transferring it (rendering, editing, content creation, number crunching, 3D design, etc.) so a 128GB SSD won't really be enough and they need more storage space. :) The same question goes for mobile devices such as smart phones and tablets - how much storage space do you really need (some people easily exceed the 128GB capacity on their mobile device, some hardly reach half of their 32GB storage limit). :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

7 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Greetings Pooherino ツ :)

My two cents on this: it really depends on how much storage you are actually using. If you have everything you need on a local or online cloud  system and your applications that you work with don't exceed that storage space I see no reason why you would need more storage space. The OS with the drivers and updates is around 35GB so you have around 80GB worth of storage space and if that can hold your work applications then a 128GB SSD should be enough for you. There are people who work on applications that take up much space for their local folders or include huge libraries of additional data needed for the work and need to store the data produced by the application on a local drive before transferring it (rendering, editing, content creation, number crunching, 3D design, etc.) so a 128GB SSD won't really be enough and they need more storage space. :) The same question goes for mobile devices such as smart phones and tablets - how much storage space do you really need (some people easily exceed the 128GB capacity on their mobile device, some hardly reach half of their 32GB storage limit). :)

Captain_WD.

thanks man, Im kinda thinking about upgrading my dell xps 13 to 500gb but idk if i should spend that extra C$200 or not, i think im gonna keep it 128gb until i fill it up.

13 hours ago, Pooherino ツ said:

~snip~

You are most welcome :)

If you are running out of space you can always review what is taking up space on your SSD and if it's something you can store on external drives you can invest in a good external drive or a NAS for backups and more storage for the budget and leave only the demanding applications locally on the SSD. :) I could suggest checking out WD My Cloud as a good option for remove file storage and backups.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/