After switching from nvidia to AMD graphics Windows 10 displays no signal to monitor

ChrisxParkinson

I uninstalled the nvidia graphics driver and immediately Windows 10 gave me no display signal..  Isn't there a default one the system uses ?! This is crazy

- Chris

Not necessarily if the video out is from the card, but its unlikely, just restart the pc and see if it updates the display method. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Restart isn't doing anything idk what's going on this shouldn't happen and it's a 5670

- Chris

If it's pretty much like windows 8.1, it's more then likely downloading and installing the required drivers (I found thing out after upgrading the GPU in my fathers computer and got no image and a restart (after a bit of time waiting which is why it probably ended like it did) made the computer start as normal and I noticed that some software related to the GPU had been installed).

Is there any hard drive activity once you get around the time it should have booted into windows?

9 minutes ago, demonix00 said:

If it's pretty much like windows 8.1, it's more then likely downloading and installing the required drivers (I found thing out after upgrading the GPU in my fathers computer and got no image and a restart (after a bit of time waiting which is why it probably ended like it did) made the computer start as normal and I noticed that some software related to the GPU had been installed).

Is there any hard drive activity once you get around the time it should have booted into windows?

Not sure how to check the HDD activity.. And ya it is an old PC ! Should I just leave it on for a while and let. It figure itself out ? 

- Chris

6 minutes ago, ChrisxParkinson said:

Not sure how to check the HDD activity.. And ya it is an old PC ! Should I just leave it on for a while and let. It figure itself out ? 

As long as you have the cable connected to the motherboard, there should be an activity light on the case for the hard drive but if it's a mechanical hard drive and is audible enough to hear when it is in use you can just use your ears to detect any hard drive use if there's no HDD activity light on the case.

Yea il figure it out.. Stupid how it didn't revert to basic drivers tho I've never seen it just crash 

- Chris

If anyone else has other suggestions let me know still broken

- Chris

It reverts to the default on new installs

I have found that if you add a new GPU while the old one is installed it wont use it automatically.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

so will i ahve to wipe my brothers system and install a fresh copy of windows ? i swear that makes no sense ive upgrade gpus in the past and it just reverts to basic windows drivers temporarily while you install the new gpu ?! 

- Chris

Did you use DDU? That card is ancient... might be incompatible.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

1 hour ago, ChrisxParkinson said:

so will i ahve to wipe my brothers system and install a fresh copy of windows ? i swear that makes no sense ive upgrade gpus in the past and it just reverts to basic windows drivers temporarily while you install the new gpu ?! 

In what universe is a 5670 new? Where did you even get a 5670?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

19 hours ago, ivan134 said:

In what universe is a 5670 new? Where did you even get a 5670?

Since the 5450 is still being sold it's possible that there are still new 5670s floating around the world.

23 hours ago, ChrisxParkinson said:

You might want to try a reinstalling the old nvidia card and using DDU Uninstaller in safe mode. The way you can do this is selecting the Windows button > Power > Hold Shift + Restart. This will send you to a recovery screen. You need to go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settgins. This will then bring you to a startup screen with a bunch of options. You want to select the number on your keyboard for "Safe Mode with Networking".  If you have a USB keyboard and you press a key on your keyboard, but it doesn't make a selection, you need to look on the back of your computer and change the keyboard connection to the one of topmost USB plug on the motherboard.

Once you get into safe mode, run the DDU Uninstaller and select "AMD Graphics" on the drop down and pick "Uninstall and restart". This will completely remove any AMD drivers windows installed for the GPU. Let the system reboot, then repeat the safe mode steps. When you're back in safe mode, start DDU Uninstaller again, but this time select "Nvidia Graphics" on the drop down AND "uninstall and shutdown". This will remove the nvidia drivers and allow you to swap to the AMD card. This will also prevent windows from attempting to install new drivers on reboot.

Once you have the AMD card installed, boot the system and you should have display. Under the Device Manager, the video card should read "Generic VGA Adapter" or some-such. Go to the AMD website and DL the Crimson Drivers and you should be set.

If that doesn't work, there might be something wrong with the card and you should consider contacting the GPU manufacturer, or vendor.

An avid PC Enthusiast for 20 years.

Current Rig: i7-5820k - GTX 980TI SC+ - 32GB Corsair DDR4-3200 - 500GB 850 EVO M.2 - GA-X99-SLI

Kids' Rigs: FX-6300 - GTX 960 - 8GB Corsair DDR3-1600 - 1TB 7200RPM - GA-78LMT-USB3

Wife's Rig: FX-9590 - R9 Fury X - 32GB Corsair DDR3-2400 - 512GB 950 EVO M.2 - Asus 970 PRO Gaming/Aura

On 4/9/2016 at 5:28 PM, Prysin said:

holy shit, a 5670? thats so old its out of support by now. Its using legacy drivers.

I have a 8800 GT installed on my fileserver and Windows 10 detected and installed the drivers without any issues and that's a 10 year old card.

An avid PC Enthusiast for 20 years.

Current Rig: i7-5820k - GTX 980TI SC+ - 32GB Corsair DDR4-3200 - 500GB 850 EVO M.2 - GA-X99-SLI

Kids' Rigs: FX-6300 - GTX 960 - 8GB Corsair DDR3-1600 - 1TB 7200RPM - GA-78LMT-USB3

Wife's Rig: FX-9590 - R9 Fury X - 32GB Corsair DDR3-2400 - 512GB 950 EVO M.2 - Asus 970 PRO Gaming/Aura

On 4/9/2016 at 2:09 AM, ChrisxParkinson said:

Restart isn't doing anything idk what's going on this shouldn't happen and it's a 5670

5670 isn't supported on Windows 10 - it's flat out not possible to install a driver for it

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

actually, you are wrong. 5670 was supported and i got it working. thanks for your help guys. 

- Chris