Video editing rig suggestions

ioklmj1

Hi guys,

I am a video shooter and I want to see what should my directions be if I want to upgrade my current computer to reduce render time and speed up preview.

currently using:

i5-3330

Gtx 660

8gb ram

2TB HDD

couldn't really remember the motherboard.

I use abode products (premiere pro, AE, ps, speedgrade etc.), but I really don't know what I should purchase next hardware wise. As this post is just a question on upgrade direction, the budget is hard to say. Here are my questions:

1. Should I upgrade to a newer platform(e.g. lga 1151) and a new gen cpu or buy the i7-3770k, which is the best on my current socket lga 1155onand use it on the same mobo (to save money for other parts)?

2. Should I buy a new gen graphics card or buy another 660 for  SLI?

3. Which would be more benefitial, changing the cpu or gpu, if I can only choose one to upgrade.

4. If I want to purchase a ssd, how much storage should I buy and what should I put on it to better utilize it?

P.s. I don't play games at all, if that helps.

Thanks so much

Firstly, what is the potential budget you're willing/able to put into this?

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

budget? and you should get a new gpu instead of buying a second 660

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Just now, Fulgrim said:

Firstly, what is the potential budget you're willing/able to put into this?

As I said, it's just a direction request so I don't know when will I build it hence I don't know how much money will I be able to save till then.

If I must give out a budget, USD$700-800 should be close.

But I really don't want to set any restrictions regarding price.

If you want to spend money get a newwer mobo and cpu

Aside from that the gpu isnt used alot in most renderings, so I would suggest a better cpu, maybe just a better arch and newer but you might get a xeon or i7 with more threads or higher clock. You could get a better gpu and it may speed up some things but dont sli with that one. 

and perhaps more or better ram. By better I mean lower latency, higher quality, and higher clock, trivial but they can add up if done right. 

If you go for an ssd, you can store programs and the os with a 120-240 but you can get a 500 or tb and store the current projects on it too. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

1 minute ago, RedWulf said:

If you want to spend money get a newwer mobo and cpu

Aside from that the gpu isnt used alot in most renderings, so I would suggest a better cpu, maybe just a better arch and newer but you might get a xeon or i7 with more threads or higher clock. You could get a better gpu and it may speed up some things but dont sli with that one. 

and perhaps more or better ram. By better I mean lower latency, higher quality, and higher clock, trivial but they can add up if done right. 

If you go for an ssd, you can store programs and the os with a 120-240 but you can get a 500 or tb and store the current projects on it too. 

Thank you for your reply.

About ram, I am using the basic Kingston DDR3 1333Mhz version. As I cms recall, Linus said in his video that higher frequency ram doesn't produce that much boost in power, so is it really worth it to buy the much more expensive ram?

Just now, ioklmj1 said:

Thank you for your reply.

About ram, I am using the basic Kingston DDR3 1333Mhz version. As I cms recall, Linus said in his video that higher frequency ram doesn't produce that much boost in power, so is it really worth it to buy the much more expensive ram?

Thats in general, others also swear that ram can make a big difference in intensive task like rendering and data management, linus was addressing general use and gaming. since you'll be doing editing you can also aim for low latency and even just better series can potentially make a difference such as the value vs basic vs hyperX. You could aim for something like ripjaw V with turbulance or the hyper x with latancy under 11 and 2100+ clock rate. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

13 minutes ago, RedWulf said:

Thats in general, others also swear that ram can make a big difference in intensive task like rendering and data management, linus was addressing general use and gaming. since you'll be doing editing you can also aim for low latency and even just better series can potentially make a difference such as the value vs basic vs hyperX. You could aim for something like ripjaw V with turbulance or the hyper x with latancy under 11 and 2100+ clock rate. 

I will do more research on that, thanks for the info.