Velociraptor

Mornincupofhate

I'm looking for a new hard drive, but I don't want to buy an SSD.

I've been looking at the velociraptor and it looks pretty nice at 10,000 RPM, but does anyone know if it clunks? I have a WD Black 2TB and that thing clunks ever since I first installed it.

Also, anyone know the read and write speed?

loud, expensive, and speeds are bad

seriously, just buy an SSD if you need that much speed

otherwise a regular HDD is more than enough, a good HDD can do 150+ MBps reads and writes

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Velociraptors are getting kinda old now tbh. I'm not sure what you mean by 'clunk', but if you want to avoid any sound, just get an SSD. If you need the space then get a regular HDD. The speeds these days on HDDs aren't that bad. It won't be as snappy as an SSD but it'll definitely still be within the spectrum of usability.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

I long long time ago I ran a pair of VelicoRaptor's in RAID, 2x 300GB if IIRC. They were pretty loud for a hard drive due to the higher spindle speed and while they performed well at the time they don't come close to even an entry level SSD.

21 hours ago, Mornincupofhate said:

I'm looking for a new hard drive, but I don't want to buy an SSD.

I've been looking at the velociraptor and it looks pretty nice at 10,000 RPM, but does anyone know if it clunks? I have a WD Black 2TB and that thing clunks ever since I first installed it.

Also, anyone know the read and write speed?

But why?

giphy.gif

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)