is this a good parts list for longevity?

depends on how you use them, the higher u overclock, the less it lives, and as well as how much you use it, if you keep it on, etc. It will probably last 5 years if u dont keep it on overnight

The ram is overkill, wait on the new gen of cards for that price, and get a more reliable brand for ssd such as a Samsung evo since 5 years is a decent life span for storage

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

If you want to keep it for 5 years and Upgrade it in the future........ Why arent you going for Skylake ?

I agree with the guys, get better ssd like Samsung 850EVO if yiu wan it to last at least 5 years. Maybe go for 6700K instead of 4790K. And I think you won´t need 32gigs of ram, it´s simply overkill.

Ahhhhhhh... No. Kinda. It's not optimal for sure. Here's why: 

• go skylake. In fact maybe even wait for zen and Kabylake. If you plan to keep a system for s long time, getting the newest is best. A 6600k would be fine. An i7 6700k if you feel like a bit more production like video editing 
  • 32gb is wayyy overkill. 16gb is a good amount. I doubt you will ever need more. 
  • That case, uh, is good if you like the style but there are better options. Look at the Define series from fractal or a 400c from corsair. If you want to save some money the NZXT s340 is good. Grab some fans to go. Tell me what your priorities are on sound and asthetic and I can reccomend somthing. 
  • I feel like the 390x is nestled in the same place as the 980. It is better value to step up to a 980ti or a fury or down to a 390 or a 970. Also new cards are coming very soon. 
  • I would grab a slightly larger SSD. Maybe 480gb or 240gb. Also go for a WD blue over a barracuda. 
  • Go for a supernova g2 650w over that. 
  • I'm not gonna pretend that I know much about that cooler other than you would be better off with somthimg higher end or just better for a more decent overclock to expand the life of your chip. Maybe a BeQuiet Shadow Rock 2 or a NHD14? 
  • I feel 23" to be too small and 1080p to be idiotic for a high end GPU. Go for a 1440p 27" Korean monitor. QNIX has some good matte ones 
  • I like the Azio mgk1 more than the BlackWidow. Also. The Steelseries rival 300 is amazing. 
  • Sound? 
  • Go to kinguin for a cheap Windows copy :) 

I'm here to help people and have fun. Feel free to chat! 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

Hyper X Fury Black 16gb (2x8gb) 2133

Tell me what your priorities are on sound and asthetic and I can reccomend somthing. 

as long as it works and doesn't sound like a jet engine as well as it being  pretty cheap is an advantage too

(or look like an nf-f-12 :D)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gcqQjX

How about going with something like that? It's Skylake, still 32gb of RAM, although it is overkill, and I would wait for the pascal equivalent of the GTX970 instead of buying the 390. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

here is my updated parts list (the 390x is just a placeholder for the gtx 1070ti or the 490x when it comes out)

so with that being said i do not have any bias as to AMD over nvidia so i just took what i felt was the best option at that price point (see here: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-390X-vs-GeForce-GTX-970)

here is the updated list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tNPGvK