Are These Bent Pins?

Go to solution Solved by airdeano,

yes, those are bent.

looks like something got dropped into the CPU socket bed.

So I just got my Asus Sabertooth LGA 2011-3 motherboard in today and I think 1 or more of the pins are bent on it. It's really hard for me to tell and I wanted to get a few more opinions on it before I send it back to Amazon. I tried to take some pictures of it as best I could, but it's really difficult for me to see it other than the small nonconformity I noticed in the pin layout. I know I saw something in the description about ASUS adding extra pins to the board to help with overclock stability, and it's possible that could be it, but I'm still skeptical. Amazon said it said it was in fully tested and working condition, and I verified that because a few of the RAM and PCI-e slots were unclipped and the CPU cover was gone, but my guess is that if it is in fact damaged, something probably just hit it during shipping. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sidenote: I don't have my i7-5930x to test it out on because it's not going to arrive until next week and I would like to get this RMA'd ASAP if it is indeed a bent pin.

There is 32gb of DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz that you can see off to the side in case you were curious.

IMG_20160407_125520.jpg

IMG_20160407_125601.jpg

IMG_20160407_125848.jpg

IMG_20160407_125908.jpg

Better safe than sorry, it almost looks like one so return and get a new one if you can.

"Simple Yet Complex" 

Do you still have the CPU cover? As if not they may not accept an RMA request but it does indeed look like the pin is bent. Good Luck!

Just now, D14RAP said:

Do you still have the CPU cover? As if not they may not accept an RMA request but it does indeed look like the pin is bent. Good Luck!

No, I don't. I just got the thing a few hours ago and Amazon shipped it without one.

2 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

You can bend it back with a credit card

That's not a risk I'm willing to take, as I can easily just return it and get one that isn't bent.

3 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

You can bend it back with a credit card

I've done this, it worked. But that was just my own experience, heh.

Just now, Diamond Nacho said:

That's not a risk I'm willing to take, as I can easily just return it and get one that isn't bent.

You can still RMA it if doesn't fix the board. Worth a shot, better the. Waiting 3 months to get your product back from RMAing it

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

you got it used?

"Open box" actually. It was $60 cheaper than brand new and none of the packaging had that came with it had even been opened

there is an outfit in arizona that fixed my ASUS MIVE-Z from a delidded 3770k fell back into the CPU socket deforming 15-20 pins. they got all fixed but two (lost the A2/B2 DIMM slots) and saved me some major bacon loss. cost me $25 plus $20 shipping (2-way).

1 minute ago, GreezyJeezy said:

You can still RMA it if doesn't fix the board. Worth a shot, better the. Waiting 3 months to get your product back from RMAing it

Amazon usually will send me a new one by tomorrow if I talk with them today. I don't want to go through an Asus RMA process haha

1 minute ago, Diamond Nacho said:

Amazon usually will send me a new one by tomorrow if I talk with them today. I don't want to go through an Asus RMA process haha

Usually you can only RMA it through the manufacture not Amazon

2 minutes ago, airdeano said:

there is an outfit in arizona that fixed my ASUS MIVE-Z from a delidded 3770k fell back into the CPU socket deforming 15-20 pins. they got all fixed but two (lost the A2/B2 DIMM slots) and saved me some major bacon loss. cost me $25 plus $20 shipping (2-way).

Interesting. However, I'll talk to Amazon about this. Last time something like this happened (dead stick of RAM) they overnighted me a new kit and said to just send the broken stuff back (for free by the way) within the next month, so that's what I'll probably try.

2 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

Usually you can only RMA it through the manufacture not Amazon

See my reply to airdeano above ^^

Just now, Diamond Nacho said:

See my reply to airdeano above ^^

It's strange they would do that, not like a,Aaron to risk losing money if you lied/never sent it back

Just now, GreezyJeezy said:

It's strange they would do that, not like a,Aaron to risk losing money if you lied/never sent it back

They make you pay the full price if you don't send it back within a month