Video Editing/ Gaming Rig For a Friend

So, I just recently built my first PC which cost around $2000 total and I'm loving it!

Now my roommate wants a PC as well but for video editing and gaming.

I don't believe he'll need everything I got, maybe more, idrk. I designed mine for gaming and programming mostly.

Quite frankly, as much research as I had done, I don't know what's best for a build like his.

I think I should go intel with an i7 5820 cpu since video editing supposedly works better with multicore processors

and give him an Nvidia 970 gpu for the gaming aspect. He also wants it VR ready and I know a 970 will suffice.

The video software he's going with is Sony Vegas Pro 13 and it does use gpu acceleration so he'd benefit from

the 970 no doubt.

I have an i7 6700k with an evga 980ti ftw. I think, my build could possibly do just as well for him, but maybe not.

He doesn't really have a budget but he wants to keep it low. So, around $1,000 -$1,500. Keep in mind, he'll need

some of the budget for Sony Vegas which is about $300 and he'll need a monitor and a keyboard.

Thanks for any help!

NOTE: We're both University students and live in the U.S.

(Also, I was told to post my build when it was completed. I'll try and get those in as soon as I can in the appropriate thread.)

35 minutes ago, Lord Goatimore said:

So, I just recently built my first PC which cost around $2000 total and I'm loving it!

Now my roommate wants a PC as well but for video editing and gaming.

I don't believe he'll need everything I got, maybe more, idrk. I designed mine for gaming and programming mostly.

Quite frankly, as much research as I had done, I don't know what's best for a build like his.

I think I should go intel with an i7 5820 cpu since video editing supposedly works better with multicore processors

and give him an Nvidia 970 gpu for the gaming aspect. He also wants it VR ready and I know a 970 will suffice.

The video software he's going with is Sony Vegas Pro 13 and it does use gpu acceleration so he'd benefit from

the 970 no doubt.

I have an i7 6700k with an evga 980ti ftw. I think, my build could possibly do just as well for him, but maybe not.

He doesn't really have a budget but he wants to keep it low. So, around $1,000 -$1,500. Keep in mind, he'll need

some of the budget for Sony Vegas which is about $300 and he'll need a monitor and a keyboard.

Thanks for any help!

NOTE: We're both University students and live in the U.S.

(Also, I was told to post my build when it was completed. I'll try and get those in as soon as I can in the appropriate thread.)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($369.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.29 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-SLI ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($133.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team Elite Plus 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: PNY CS2111 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($69.99 @ Best Buy) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.97 @ Directron) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 380X 4GB PCS+ Myst. Edition Video Card  ($213.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($74.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $1045.17
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-07 12:27 EDT-0400

I picked the R9 380X, because apparently Sony Vegas uses OpenCL for timeline GPU acceleration.

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/988692

The r9 380x isn't a VR ready card according to the Steam VR Performance Test results. It's only VR capable. I'd either have to bump that up to a 390 or go with NVIDIA gtx 970.