HTC Vive Questions

Hi,

I have some questions about the HTC Vive.

1.Are there any other uses to the vive other than gaming (i.e. productivity,movies)?

2.Will oculus games ever come to the vive?

3.How fast will this version of the vive be outdated/not supported?

4.How many developers are actually developing or will develop  for the vive?

5.How many games are there currently for the vive?

6.Is it easy to get bored of (use a couple times then forget about it)?

7.Can it detect and stop you from walking down a stair case (My vr room would be up stairs right by a stair case) or should I put a boundary to stop myself from falling down the stairs?

Thank you for your help

1 hour ago, potatoproduction said:

Hi,

I have some questions about the HTC Vive.

1.Are there any other uses to the vive other than gaming (i.e. productivity,movies)?

There is virtual desktop so you can work in a 3D space with virtual monitors. There are a bundle of experiences that aren't really games as well.

2.Will oculus games ever come to the vive?

Many of them have or are but Oculus is point blank refusing to implement SteamVR into its Oculus SDK so games for Oculus SDK will never work on the Vive directly unfortunately. I think this is something that will work itself out over this year.

3.How fast will this version of the vive be outdated/not supported?

Probably within a year is my guess. There are however zero announcements about future products at this point.

4.How many developers are actually developing or will develop  for the vive?

Lots of Indy devs, we have about 60 games on Vive but a lot of them are early access. Only a couple of AAA games that I know of are in development.

5.How many games are there currently for the vive?

~60 and climbing, a lot of sim like games are being converted as well (Racing games, flight sim that sort of thing).

6.Is it easy to get bored of (use a couple times then forget about it)?

Like anything its not novel after a while but the hand tracking controllers are more novel than just head tracking.

7.Can it detect and stop you from walking down a stair case (My vr room would be up stairs right by a stair case) or should I put a boundary to stop myself from falling down the stairs?

Thank you for your help

Yes you set your area in setup and it shows you when you reach the edge in the game, its called chaperone and you can see what it looks like on youtube.

I just hope that developers develop for both the vive and oculus rather than only one of these devices. Especially that both are really similar in the way they function ( controllers aside), just that vive has the added bonus of the front facing camera and more sensors to find where  you are! 

My Rig:

OS: MSX CPU:Intel i5 4690K RAM: 16GB Averix Core Series  GPU: XFX R9 280X SSD:128GB Crucial M4 Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z97N Wifi Powersupply: Corsair HX750 CPU Cooler: Corsair H60i Case: Corsair 250D Monitors: Asus VE278 and Asus VW202 Keyboard: Steel Series 6G V2 Mouse: CM Sentinel Advanced Audio: Objective 2 ODAC Headphones: Senheiser HD595

It will take a long time till we see real VR Games of high Quality and not just some kind of Demos.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I have another question concerning the HTC Vive:

At the moment I have a single GTX770 (4GB) and the HTC Vive - Ready Test tells me that my graphics card is too low to run proper. Do I have to change my graphics card to a way more expansive one or can I buy a second GTX770, put those 2 graphics card in SLI and tell the HTC Vive to use each of the graphics cards for one of the screens?

2 hours ago, Stealth_Bomber_Labrador said:

I have another question concerning the HTC Vive:

At the moment I have a single GTX770 (4GB) and the HTC Vive - Ready Test tells me that my graphics card is too low to run proper. Do I have to change my graphics card to a way more expansive one or can I buy a second GTX770, put those 2 graphics card in SLI and tell the HTC Vive to use each of the graphics cards for one of the screens?

You need to buy a replacement GPU. The VR games can't currently utilise SLI so it wont help you to buy another one.

3 minutes ago, BrightCandle said:

You need to buy a replacement GPU. The VR games can't currently utilise SLI so it wont help you to buy another one.

I remember Luke saying that having two cards will render each eye with it's own card...

20 hours ago, Molten said:

I remember Luke saying that having two cards will render each eye with it's own card...

that's still something that's in development though may become a reality in the future. It would give you 100% scaling for SLI cards (as in 2 cards in SLI is exactly double the performance of one) so hopefully it comes to fruition.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

On 4/6/2016 at 10:22 PM, potatoproduction said:

When you walk near the edge of your defined region you get a tron grid like thing showing the boundary you defined which superimposes over the game you're looking at. It's unmissable so you'd have to deliberately ignore it to leave your VR area.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz