SSD + 2 SSHD

Alright, I'm about to buy a laptop soon, and I was originally gonna have a SSD boot drive, with two Raid 0 Hybrid drives, but the thought that it might be overkill and downright stupid to do that crossed my mind.

So I basically want to know if that this is a good idea, or a cost-effective one. Thanks in advance to all who answer

I would say either just 1 or 2 larger ssds or a boot ssd with a large hdd

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

3 minutes ago, DragonDope said:

Alright, I'm about to buy a laptop soon, and I was originally gonna have a SSD boot drive, with two Raid 0 Hybrid drives, but the thought that it might be overkill and downright stupid to do that crossed my mind.

So I basically want to know if that this is a good idea, or a cost-effective one. Thanks in advance to all who answer

no, raid 0 will kill your drives, and kill your data

do not use raid 0 for mass storage, ever

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

RAID 0 is risky, very risky. If you get like a power failure of some sort, or Windows was not shut down the way it was supposed to, it can cause your RAID array to fail. Just get one large 7200 RPM HDD.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Whoa! Glad I asked because I would've never thought that raid arrays were so...temperamental. Raid 0 shall definitely be removed then.

The main question still stands though: if I have a boot SSD, would the somewhat faster nature of hybrid drives (over hdd) even matter much; since I don't want to spend too much money on higher capacity ssd's (as a few of you have suggested), but want a snappier experience than my 2ish year old casual laptop? 

1 hour ago, exercutor5 said:

RAID 0 is risky, very risky. If you get like a power failure of some sort, or Windows was not shut down the way it was supposed to, it can cause your RAID array to fail. Just get one large 7200 RPM HDD.

Why not 2, just not in raid? And also, why not sshd?

and of course, thank you all again!

9 minutes ago, DragonDope said:

Why not 2, just not in raid? And also, why not sshd?

and of course, thank you all again!

1 drive is cheaper than 2. And I don't trust SSHDs, they seem like things that trick us into thinking they're better.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

6 hours ago, DragonDope said:

~snip~

Hey there :) Welcome to the community! 

What are you going to do with this laptop? Anything particular for the secondary storage? Do you really need the speed boost from the RAID0 array and the caching of the SSD portion of the hybrid drives? 

I would first suggest to consider what will be the usage of this laptop and then decide if you really need fast secondary storage in exchange of higher risks for your data. Have in mind that a lot of usages such as gaming, simple work with everyday files, media, movies and music plus a bunch of other programs don't really rely on the storage's performance and having the OS on a SSD is good enough for smooth and responsive operations. Moreover, you may be better off getting a larger SSD for your OS and most demanding applications and either one larger or two smaller drives in RAID1 for redundancy and massive storage. Have in mind that RAID should never be considered a backup as it only provides redundancy. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

6 hours ago, givingtnt said:

no, raid 0 will kill your drives, and kill your data

No it doesn't do either of those things. It's not definitive like that at all. RAID 0 inherently does not kill anything. You are just at a greater risk of losing data if one of the drives fail. But it does not inherently kill anything. Please do not spread this utterly incorrect concept around.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Hey there :) Welcome to the community! 

What are you going to do with this laptop? Anything particular for the secondary storage? Do you really need the speed boost from the RAID0 array and the caching of the SSD portion of the hybrid drives? 

I would first suggest to consider what will be the usage of this laptop and then decide if you really need fast secondary storage in exchange of higher risks for your data. Have in mind that a lot of usages such as gaming, simple work with everyday files, media, movies and music plus a bunch of other programs don't really rely on the storage's performance and having the OS on a SSD is good enough for smooth and responsive operations. Moreover, you may be better off getting a larger SSD for your OS and most demanding applications and either one larger or two smaller drives in RAID1 for redundancy and massive storage. Have in mind that RAID should never be considered a backup as it only provides redundancy. :)

Captain_WD.

Thanks for the welcome! Those are some excellent questions, so let me answer them:

1. I'm using the laptop for gaming and music/audio production (please, no one hit me with the "desktop master breed" statements, thanks)

2. What I would probably have the secondary storage for is for all my music and/or video that I might end up making in the future

3. As far as RAID goes, I guess not. I'm not too well versed on the subject (hence my presence here). The website I'm getting my laptop from just said " For better speed and performance ", and going from this middle of the road laptop to the high end one, I guess I just got power hungry. xD As with the Hybrid drives, I'm not sure. Like I said, I got power hungry, so I just though hybrid drives would be nice for overall speed (after a few operations, of course).

Thanks for the information! I'm going to firstly, avoid raid (don't want to spend $2k and then brick my computer because of a risky operation like RAID), and then try some different configurations to see if what you suggested would be more cost-effective.

19 hours ago, DragonDope said:

~snip~

:) Hello again,

Many people use laptops for such purposes so nothing wrong here, as long as it's powerful-enough to handle it.

You don't necessary need a fast secondary storage solution such has a RAID0 array from Hybrid drives for this type of usage since you simply won't see much of a benefit from it. You would need to work a lot more with specific games or files on your secondary storage so the drives can cache their files and thus have some mpact on the performance, which will only be faster loading. Games in general don't benefit in any other way (such as FPS or Graphics) besides faster initial loading times. :)

I would go with a single large storage drive and try to push the rest of the funds towards a larger primary SSD as you are far more likely to benefit from it. :)

You can save some of the remaining funds for a backup solution such as a simple external drive (WD Elements would be a good option) :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/