Raid 0 failure?

migeo

So while listening to some music on youtube, I got a bsod. It was the critical structure corruption error. I was pissed. But what pissed me off even more was when rebooting, I discovered that my 6tb raid 0 array failed. Windows now says that I have drives that needs to be formatted and it doesn't even recognise the other drive. I tried restarting the pc, multiple times, turning it off completely, unplugginf the pc, etc.. Yet nothing worked. I have around 4tb of data and since I'm such a huge ass idiot, a lot of the stuff isn't backed up since I don't have a nas or online storage. Is there a way to fix this and to have as much data back as possible or not? I'm really desperate. Thank you for all the help that I can get

BTW, the drive number 3 in the second image was the second raid drive but apparently it's no longer recognised as a raid drive

DSC_0292.JPG

DSC_0294.JPG

You can try data recovery programs, or a service, but it's very unlikely you'll get very much back.

This is why we don't use raid 0 kids. When it dies, it dies hard.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

1 minute ago, HPWebcamAble said:

You can try data recovery programs, or a service, but it's very unlikely you'll get very much back.

This is why we don't use raid 0 kids. When it dies, it dies hard.

Do you have a program that you can suggest?

6 minutes ago, migeo said:

Do you have a program that you can suggest?

Since the data is 'stripped' across drives, I believe only tiny files will be on one drive, but you can try Recuva (which worked for me literally minutes ago for a regular HDD)

Linus posted a video a few months back about recovering data on his failed raid array, he used some company that actually manged to do it.

EDIT: The video

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

1 minute ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Since the data is 'stripped' across drives, I believe only tiny files will be on one drive, but you can try Recuva (which worked for me literally minutes ago for a regular HDD)

Linus posted a video a few months back about recovering data on his failed raid array, he used some company that actually manged to do it.

I have a very small file that's actually THE most important file. It contains all of my usernames and such for my university appplications. Since it was on notepad, do you think I might have a chance to recover this file or you honestly don't know? Oh and by the way I already thought about the company because of Linus' video but I don't know how much they will charge so I was a bit hesitant. Either way thank you!

2 minutes ago, migeo said:

Since it was on notepad, do you think I might have a chance to recover this file or you honestly don't know?

If I had to guess, I'd say no. But I've never tried searching a RAID 0 with a file recovery program.

In any case, good luck!

Why would you store important data on a Raid 0 array unless you backed it up very regularly? There is literally nothing that I cannot very easily retrieve from Steam or elsewhere on my JBOD, which is the only reason I am comfortable using a JBOD for my C drive.

1 minute ago, othertomperson said:

Why would you store important data on a Raid 0 array unless you backed it up very regularly? There is literally nothing that I cannot very easily retrieve from Steam or elsewhere on my JBOD, which is the only reason I am comfortable using a JBOD for my C drive.

Because I'm really dumb and although I do actually back up my important files, docs etc, I completely forgot to back up this file that was on my desktop. I hate myself right now

24 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

If I had to guess, I'd say no. But I've never tried searching a RAID 0 with a file recovery program.

In any case, good luck!

yeaaa, the program just finished its thing but it didn't recover anything from the raid array. so I'm fucked

Out of curiosity why do you run a 6TB raid 0 whilst having 650gb of SSD storage? Surely 650gb is enough for ~90% of your games & OS. Raid 0 for document storage is somewhat pointless unless you very frequently need to access very large files (like RAW footage editing)

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

On 4/6/2016 at 11:31 PM, CtrlAltELITE said:

Out of curiosity why do you run a 6TB raid 0 whilst having 650gb of SSD storage? Surely 650gb is enough for ~90% of your games & OS. Raid 0 for document storage is somewhat pointless unless you very frequently need to access very large files (like RAW footage editing)

I have (had) just under 1 tb of games, over 1.2 tb of vids and pictures, over 1 tb of anime (yeah I separated animes from my other vids). Os is on samsung ssd as well as a bunch of important apps like chrome word, adobe audition, vegas pro 12, etc. I used my other ssd to copy and paste the games that I'm currently playing (that are from thepirate bay) and that's where I installed my steam library games. I know it might sound stupid to copy and paste the games on ssd while playing but I often record gameplay with fraps. Having an ssd is great for this. I then re-copy and paste the game back to my games folder once I finished recording the campaign for bf4 for exemple. That's how I use this ssd. I didn't think twice about buying my intel ssd because it was being sold for 140$ (canadian) on ncix. That's worth it imo. I honestly didn't think I would ever ue that much data, but when my parents bought me 2 3tb hdd for christmas because they knew I was saving up to build my own pc, I didn't think twice about having a raid 0 array. usually wd drives are some of the best. I think as well that it's amd's fault that I had a bsod because I updated my gpu drivers the same day and had a lot of errors saying that the display drivers stopped working. After multiple notifications of the sort, I had a bsod. I'm actually blaming amd on this one.