Speed for laptops

dragoncurt

Hi guys. I have a Dell latitude E6420 but I think it is sata 2 speeds, dam. I wanted sata 3. But I got a SSD with it an Msata samsung as I got it with the laptop. (Got from Ebay) but the things is I don't feel like my laptop is that quick. Would anyone say these are good speeds for read/write. I think I might buy a 2.5" SSD and sell this Msata one. Thanks

ssd.png

Probs the best speeds you gunna get on sata 2 still better then my laptop which is a HP pavilion 

2 minutes ago, dragoncurt said:

Hi guys. I have a Dell latitude E6420 but I think it is sata 2 speeds, dam. I wanted sata 3. But I got a SSD with it an Msata samsung as I got it with the laptop. (Got from Ebay) but the things is I don't feel like my laptop is that quick. Would anyone say these are good speeds for read/write. I think I might buy a 2.5" SSD and sell this Msata one. Thanks

ssd.png

Buying a 2.5" SSD Won't change the fact that it's still SATA II, SATA II limits your bandwidth to +-300 MB/s, with or without mSATA

5 minutes ago, micko12400 said:

Probs the best speeds you gunna get on sata 2 still better then my laptop which is a HP pavilion 

Nothing wrong with HP, its just that older Pavilions (I'm guessing yours is an older version) are slower in overall.

Oh thanks all. Yh I can't see why these laptops don't have sata 3. Would it affect anything if they did that. Thanks all

4 minutes ago, dragoncurt said:

Oh thanks all. Yh I can't see why these laptops don't have sata 3. Would it affect anything if they did that. Thanks all

SATA 3 didn't exist then? So they used the latest and greatest "SATA 2" for the time.

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

1 minute ago, Sentryy said:

SATA 3 didn't exist then? So they used the latest and greatest "SATA 2" for the time.

My laptop is from 2011. Did they not have it then .Thanks

Some of the E6420's might have lacked SATA3 because of the Intel Cougar Point chipset bug.   I'm not sure if its all of them, but Intel did a big recall on the desktop Cougar Point-equipped boards.  The "fix" in the laptop world was simply to use the 4 SATA-2 ports of the Cougar Point chipset instead and ignore the buggy Intel silicon.  IIRC, a whole run of bad Intel B2 stepping chips were "used" up in this fashion.

You could try a 2.5" SSD (I'd suggest borrowing one from a friend and installing it in the HDD bay to test), but I'm not convinced its going to help you much in real life performance aside from benchmarks. 

5 hours ago, dragoncurt said:

Would be cool if I could raid 0 my laptop. 

Actually you should be able to on the E6420.  There is Intel RAID support in the firmware, or you can find a hacked firmware that enables it.  You'd need 2 SSDs of course. 

If you get a drive adapter for the add-in sled, you could have 3 SATA SSDs, ie: 1 mSATA, and 2 2.5" SATA.  Of course you'd have to kiss ever using a DVD good-bye if you did that!  And you'd probably want to install a screw to avoid inadvertent removal of the add-in sled!

8 hours ago, dragoncurt said:

~snip~

Hey there dragoncurt :)

The laptop indeed has a SATAII interface for the main drive which limits your storage drives to about 300MB/s. 
If you decide to go with @Mark77's option I would check if the optical drive uses a SATAII or a SATAI port. Having two drives, one on SATAII and one on SATAI port, in a striped array would limit both drives' speed to about 150MB/s which would give you about 280MB/s-300MB/s of total speed on the whole array (depending on the controller's overhead). 

Getting a 2.5" SATA SSD may boost up the speeds, but they won't exceed the 300MB/s mark due to the SATAII interface. I'd suggest trying one if you have at hand before getting one permanently. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

The Cougar Point is SATA2/SATA3, (4/2),  With the caveat that on the early buggy stepping  (B2), SATA3 ports eventually rendered themselves inoperable.

On 06/04/2016 at 6:51 AM, Mark77 said:

Some of the E6420's might have lacked SATA3 because of the Intel Cougar Point chipset bug.   I'm not sure if its all of them, but Intel did a big recall on the desktop Cougar Point-equipped boards.  The "fix" in the laptop world was simply to use the 4 SATA-2 ports of the Cougar Point chipset instead and ignore the buggy Intel silicon.  IIRC, a whole run of bad Intel B2 stepping chips were "used" up in this fashion.

You could try a 2.5" SSD (I'd suggest borrowing one from a friend and installing it in the HDD bay to test), but I'm not convinced its going to help you much in real life performance aside from benchmarks. 

Actually you should be able to on the E6420.  There is Intel RAID support in the firmware, or you can find a hacked firmware that enables it.  You'd need 2 SSDs of course. 

If you get a drive adapter for the add-in sled, you could have 3 SATA SSDs, ie: 1 mSATA, and 2 2.5" SATA.  Of course you'd have to kiss ever using a DVD good-bye if you did that!  And you'd probably want to install a screw to avoid inadvertent removal of the add-in sled!

Oh okay thanks might look into it but I do think that the dvd drive uses sata 1 or something like that. Thanks

On 06/04/2016 at 9:26 AM, Captain_WD said:

Hey there dragoncurt :)

The laptop indeed has a SATAII interface for the main drive which limits your storage drives to about 300MB/s. 
If you decide to go with @Mark77's option I would check if the optical drive uses a SATAII or a SATAI port. Having two drives, one on SATAII and one on SATAI port, in a striped array would limit both drives' speed to about 150MB/s which would give you about 280MB/s-300MB/s of total speed on the whole array (depending on the controller's overhead). 

Getting a 2.5" SATA SSD may boost up the speeds, but they won't exceed the 300MB/s mark due to the SATAII interface. I'd suggest trying one if you have at hand before getting one permanently. :)

Captain_WD.

Thank you for the reply and I do think the optical drive is slower and oh I may look for a hacked firmware. Thanks :) 

On 06/04/2016 at 9:28 AM, Mark77 said:

The Cougar Point is SATA2/SATA3, (4/2),  With the caveat that on the early buggy stepping  (B2), SATA3 ports eventually rendered themselves inoperable.

oh.

11 minutes ago, dragoncurt said:

~snip~

I would check if that firmware would void any warranty that you might have on any of the parts. 

Optical drives usually work on slower SATA ports since higher bandwidth isn't really needed (same goes pretty much for most HDDs), but SSDs can easily saturate both SATAI and SATAII ports. I'd definitely check that before going for the upgrade. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/