Is it safe to put my harddrive in vertical position?

Djole123
Go to solution Solved by Zenedge,

it should be fine, as long as you dont change orientation WHILE the hdd is spinning

So, I have a keyboard and mouse (since the laptop ones broke) and decided to put my laptop on a desk in a vertical position, and duct taping the USB hub to a wall (a pretty good idea IMO). So, my question is, can I put it like this and make my harddrive sit in a vertical position without making collateral damage to my files? 

It's a low RPM drive, 5400RPM to be more precise.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

8 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

So, I have a keyboard and mouse (since the laptop ones broke) and decided to put my laptop on a desk in a vertical position, and duct taping the USB hub to a wall (a pretty good idea IMO). So, my question is, can I put it like this and make my harddrive sit in a vertical position without making collateral damage to my files? 

check the model of the HDD, and check the manufacturer's website (ie Seagate Momentus 640gb)

normally it says what orientation the drives is meant to be used in

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

8 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

Seagate and Western Digital have all claimed, that their HDD's should be perfectly fine, as long as they are not tilted more than 10 or so degrees, so vertical should be fine, no problem. The HDD won't die earlier or anything because of that.

-Crafting

Main Rig: CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 GPU: GTX 1070 MSI Armor OC RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz CASE: Cooler Master Storm Trooper SSD: Samsung 850 250GB HDD: 2TB Seagate Peripherals: Monitor: 27'' QHD 144Hz Acer XF270HUA Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ (Cherry MX Brown)

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

check the model of the HDD, and check the manufacturer's website (ie Seagate Momentus 640gb)

normally it says what orientation the drives is meant to be used in

Hitachi 320GB, it should be fine.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Zenedge said:

it should be fine, as long as you dont change orientation WHILE the hdd is spinning

3 minutes ago, Crafting said:

Seagate and Western Digital have all claimed, that their HDD's should be perfectly fine, as long as they are not tilted more than 10 or so degrees, so vertical should be fine, no problem. The HDD won't die earlier or anything because of that.

-Crafting

Thanks everyone, although I can't choose all for best answers, you are all very helpful. Thanks!

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

20 hours ago, Djole123 said:

~snip~

Hey there :)

My two cents on this: current HDDs won't be that influenced by the way they are placed, as long as they can operate without vibrations and at the recommended operating temperatures. You should be OK doing that. :) I would still recommend checking the drive's health every once in a while to potentially prevent any damage or risk for your data. The main concern would be not causing vibrations to the laptop in case it falls down or from something else. :)

What's the drive's model and brand?

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

2 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Hey there :)

My two cents on this: current HDDs won't be that influenced by the way they are placed, as long as they can operate without vibrations and at the recommended operating temperatures. You should be OK doing that. :) I would still recommend checking the drive's health every once in a while to potentially prevent any damage or risk for your data. The main concern would be not causing vibrations to the laptop in case it falls down or from something else. :)

What's the drive's model and brand?

Captain_WD.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

My drive is a Hitachi 5400RPM 320GB.

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler