Online File Sharing The Easy Way??

syaoran7li

Hey Everyone... ^_^

Well im in a kind of a stuck mode.. hehe...

well i want to share some images , videos and app to my friends... and some of them are around 90 mb so i cant send them in mail... and i tried sites like mediafire, 4shared.. they are good.. but some of my friends cant access them cuz those sites are blocked by their service provider... so is there a simpler and easier way to share files with my friends...??? like this App HFS.... which i used for a long time.. but for some reason after getting myself a router it stopped working... i added HFS in the router exception and port forward list but still it wont work... and i dont want something like HFS cuz in HFS both the sender and receiver needs to be online at the same time to download... is there something which is different and easier than HFS???

Hope u guys can help me..

Thanks.. ^_^

Current Spec: Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme; Processor: Intel Core i7 3930k; PSU: Corsair AX1200; Cooler: Corsair H100; Ram: 2x 8Gb  Gskill Ripjawsx; Cabinet: Cooler Master Cosmos II; HDD: 1x 1Tb Samsung, 1x 3Tb WD Caviar Green, 1x 1Tb WD Caviar Blue, 2Tb WD Caviar Green; SSD: 1x 250Gb Samsung 840 Series; Graphics Card: Asus Nvidia Geforce GTX 780, Asus Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti; Monitor: Asus PA248Q, 16 Inch Random Samsung Monitor(For Multipurpose) Mouse: Razer Naga; Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Dragon Age II Edition

from the top of my head, you can do 2 things,

first, download bittorrent/utorrent, create a torrent for the files that you want to share with your friends. give that torrent file to your friends through email[the torrent file will be around 100kb to 1mb], once your friend has the file, ask him to download and install bittorrent/utorrent/any torrent downloading software or else it wont work. once your friend starts downloading you will have to keep your computer and internet ON so that you will be uploading the files at the same time. you can say it is live file transfer over the internet.

second, there is a software know as teamviewer, which helps in remote desktop connection using the internet. It also has the ability to transfer files over the internet. you can check that out as well

from the top of my head' date=' you can do 2 things, first, download bittorrent/utorrent, create a torrent for the files that you want to share with your friends. give that torrent file to your friends through email[the torrent file will be around 100kb to 1mb'], once your friend has the file, ask him to download and install bittorrent/utorrent/any torrent downloading software or else it wont work. once your friend starts downloading you will have to keep your computer and internet ON so that you will be uploading the files at the same time. you can say it is live file transfer over the internet. second, there is a software know as teamviewer, which helps in remote desktop connection using the internet. It also has the ability to transfer files over the internet. you can check that out as well

Thanks for the reply....

But that is one of the problem... me and my friend cant be online at the same time.... well my system will be online most of the time... but the place where i am has power outages like for 4 hours once... so if my friend comes in at that time i cant be online.... so its a problem..

and another thing is their service provider has locked all torrent activities.. so they cant download using torrents...

Current Spec: Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme; Processor: Intel Core i7 3930k; PSU: Corsair AX1200; Cooler: Corsair H100; Ram: 2x 8Gb  Gskill Ripjawsx; Cabinet: Cooler Master Cosmos II; HDD: 1x 1Tb Samsung, 1x 3Tb WD Caviar Green, 1x 1Tb WD Caviar Blue, 2Tb WD Caviar Green; SSD: 1x 250Gb Samsung 840 Series; Graphics Card: Asus Nvidia Geforce GTX 780, Asus Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti; Monitor: Asus PA248Q, 16 Inch Random Samsung Monitor(For Multipurpose) Mouse: Razer Naga; Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Dragon Age II Edition

Dropbox? FTP? There's also a DIY Dropbox called OneCloud.

Dropbox?

Well im currently using dropbox... and its not blocked for my friends.... but i feel like dropbox takes a lot of time to upload the files.... so i was wondering something like creating a personal link which connects to my harddisk so when my friends go to that link they can access my harddisk???

Dropbox?

Well im currently using dropbox... and its not blocked for my friends.... but i feel like dropbox takes a lot of time to upload the files.... so i was wondering something like creating a personal link which connects to my harddisk so when my friends go to that link they can access my harddisk???

Then FTP is what you want.

FTP i tried but didnt know how to configure it... and can u explain what ftp does?? and how to configure it??

One cloud whats that??

+1 for google drive, it gives you free 5GB of online storage, and if you friend is blockd frrom using google drive as well, than i am not sure what else can be done.

maybe windspeed can help you with ftp, even i will learn something here

FTP i tried but didnt know how to configure it... and can u explain what ftp does?? and how to configure it??

One cloud whats that??

There's how to setup an FTP server. OneCloud is a mix of FTP and Dropbox. It makes like a dropbox style interface but you choose where the data is stored so you know it's secure. You can choose to store the data either on a server in a data center, a computer or server at your house ect.

+1 for google drive, it gives you free 5GB of online storage, and if you friend is blockd frrom using google drive as well, than i am not sure what else can be done.

FTP is really really easy to use. Here's something Linus did for NCIX -

I Dropbox will limit upload speed be default, set it to unlimited upload bandwidth and you get speedy uploads, or you could upload directly to the dropbox website. Additionally facebook allows for sending of pretty much any file in messages, if you are desperate.

(Yes, I've ignored google drive, I don't use it, i have 34GB of free dropbox space, on a dropbox account that has a public folder)

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

One cloud whats that??

THanks for the link.... will check it out....

I believe Google Docs allows you to upload files... but it doesn't restrict the file types, and you can let other people view/download them :D
Google Docs... Thanks will check it out too...

Sounds like google drive would work for you.
Google Drive..??? How does that work???

5GB is more than enough for me... Will try it out.... ^_^

I Dropbox will limit upload speed be default, set it to unlimited upload bandwidth and you get speedy uploads, or you could upload directly to the dropbox website. Additionally facebook allows for sending of pretty much any file in messages, if you are desperate.

(Yes, I've ignored google drive, I don't use it, i have 34GB of free dropbox space, on a dropbox account that has a public folder)

Did that... but still it feels like its so slow...

FTP i tried but didnt know how to configure it... and can u explain what ftp does?? and how to configure it?? One cloud whats that??

Hey tried to do as Linus said... but i done everything as he told til creating the user and setting password.. then i went to my router config it just has port forwarding and not port range forwarding....What to do???

All network solutions are limited by your upload, IDK about the US but in NZ its all Asymmetric internet meaning the download is aweomse and upload is terrible and for anything other than a few megabytes you might as well send a flash-drive through the post. Google drive and Google docs are pretty integrated, All you do is upload something and share it with whoever you want