i5 6500 graphics card

Hi guys,

In around 3 months I would like to build a new PC and i was wondering what card to pair with my i5 6500. I'm doubting about buying either a 390, a 970 or wait for Pascal to release and watch price drops or possibly buy a new Pascal card.

Is there anyone with more insight on this situation with a good recommendation?

Wait for Pascal/Polaris

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

3 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Wait for Pascal/Polaris

If you cant or dont want to buy the 390 not the 970 unless your facing thermal or power restraints 

6 minutes ago, Coolicebear said:

In around 3 months

new gpus will probably already be out by then lol

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

12 minutes ago, FirstArmada said:

If you cant or dont want to buy the 390 not the 970 unless your facing thermal or power restraints 

Sorry I don't really understand what you're saying, the video show how 970 is better but I thought it wasn't very future proof

6 hours ago, Coolicebear said:

Sorry I don't really understand what you're saying, the video show how 970 is better but I thought it wasn't very future proof

Sorry what , in all the benchmarks in that video R9 390 beats the 970 substantially , also 390 is much much much more future proof ut has 8 GBs of it while the 970 has 3.5 GBs of full speed VRAM also nvidia has been known to gimp past gen cards soooo

My guts tell me that pascal will not be as good as amd fanboys are hoping for, so, i'd say a 970. Energy/performance ratio of nvidia is really good, just like with the i5-6500.

17 hours ago, diapersarefullofshit said:

My guts tell me that pascal will not be as good as amd fanboys are hoping for, so, i'd say a 970. Energy/performance ratio of nvidia is really good, just like with the i5-6500.

Who looks at "Energy to performance" when building a new PC these days? 

Your electricity bill will be nearly identical within a dollar or two at the end of the year, 

your just a blatant fanboy of gimpvidia

5 minutes ago, FirstArmada said:

Who looks at "Energy to performance" when building a new PC these days? 

Your electricity bill will be nearly identical within a dollar or two at the end of the year, 

your just a blatant fanboy of gimpvidia

Yeah man, just keep feeding more power in those gpu's and buying bigger psu's just to keep up! Good idea, we finally know why AMD lost more marketshare year after year to the point they are irrelevant considering where they came from.

1 minute ago, diapersarefullofshit said:

Yeah man, just keep feeding more power in those gpu's and buying bigger psu's just to keep up! Good idea, we finally know why AMD lost more marketshare year after year to the point they are irrelevant considering where they came from.

Mhmm and what about Nvidias anti-competitive business practices 

All I've seen from Nvidea is spiteful behaviour and lying. I don't care if I sacrifice a few frames to support what I see as a better company.

42 minutes ago, FirstArmada said:

Mhmm and what about Nvidias anti-competitive business practices 

All I've seen from Nvidea is spiteful behaviour and lying. I don't care if I sacrifice a few frames to support what I see as a better company.

Stop using fanboy arguments, the 970 is a nice combination with a i5-6500 there is no denying that.

7 hours ago, diapersarefullofshit said:

Stop using fanboy arguments, the 970 is a nice combination with a i5-6500 there is no denying that.

Never said it wasn't and i am not an AMD fanboy i myself have an nvidia card out of choice but its clear that the 390 out preforms the 970 with over double the amount of full speed VRAM if you're to blind to see that good for you waste, your money idrc tbh.