How do I safely ship a CPU without its original box?

I just upgraded from a G3258 to a 1231v3, and I need to sell the Pentium. Unfortunately, the original box it came in got thrown away, and I don't want to use the Xeon's box, seeing as I might want to sell it sometime down the road. Is there a safe way to go about shipping a CPU and stock cooler?

I'd take the little plastic encasing inside the Xeon box (Which held the CPU) and put the CPU in that then wrap it in antistatic bubble wrap and put it in a small box lying around or something. 

1. place cpu in plastic thing it came in

2. include cooler

3. place in cardboard box

4 profit

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

2 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

1. place cpu in plastic thing it came in

2. include cooler

3. place in cardboard box

4 profit

3 minutes ago, Joey No Salad said:

I'd take the little plastic encasing inside the Xeon box (Which held the CPU) and put the CPU in that then wrap it in antistatic bubble wrap and put it in a small box lying around or something. 

I think my dad might have the plastic thing to an old LGA1156 i5. Will LGA1150 CPUs fit in it?

2 minutes ago, fireclaw316 said:

I think my dad might have the plastic thing to an old LGA1156 i5. Will LGA1150 CPUs fit in it?

try it

Just now, Beeeyeee said:

try it

OK. Even if it doesn't, I strongly doubt I'll be selling this Xeon within the next 2 or 3 years, assuming anyone will even want it. I mainly want to keep its plastic thing in case I need to send it in for a replacement or something.

11 minutes ago, fireclaw316 said:

OK. Even if it doesn't, I strongly doubt I'll be selling this Xeon within the next 2 or 3 years, assuming anyone will even want it. I mainly want to keep its plastic thing in case I need to send it in for a replacement or something.

Why not? make money while you can

Just now, Beeeyeee said:

Why not? make money while you can

What I mean is that even if the LGA1156 plastic thing doesn't fit, I'll just use the Xeon's. I plan on having this Xeon for the next couple of years, and by then, who knows if there'll even be people who want to buy it?

Unless the 1231v3 becomes the new Q6600.

Life is much easier with keeping the original boxes, as you have already figured out, don't get rid of the Xeon packaging.

If I was buying a used CPU w/out the original packaging I would want to receive it in a foam set crush resistant case. Shouldn't be too difficult (or expensive) to spend a few bucks on something like floral foam and use an old cellphone box. Anti-static bag is a plus, but CPU's aren't as vulnerable as bare PCB GPU's or MOBO's.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

I've shipped CPU's without the cooler by wrapping them in thin Styrofoam and then taping all around it. They arrived in good condition. Make sure to put in a padded envelope.

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4.