Difference between SATA SSD and PCI-E M.2?

I Hendrycks I

Hey, I've been using a Samsung 850 Pro 256GB for years now as my OS drive with a 2TB WD Caviar Black as my main data drive. With VR coming (getting my Vive in May) I wanted to finally grab a second SSD to be able to hold all of my VR games.

My new motherboard is the ASUS Z170-A and it has an M.2 connector that can use PCI-E. I've researched a bit on what the different keys mean, etc and was just wondering from experience whether M.2 PCI-E is worth it for normal computer use (some CAD) and gaming over a traditional SATA SSD like the Samsung 850 Evo? Thanks!

1 minute ago, I Hendrycks I said:

Hey, I've been using a Samsung 850 Pro 256GB for years now as my OS drive with a 2TB WD Caviar Black as my main data drive. With VR coming (getting my Vive in May) I wanted to finally grab a second SSD to be able to hold all of my VR games.

My new motherboard is the ASUS Z170-A and it has an M.2 connector. I've researched a bit on what the different keys mean, etc and was just wondering from experience whether M.2 is worth it for normal computer use (some CAD) and gaming over a traditional SATA SSD like the Samsung 850 Evo? Thanks!

Here's a picture of an M.2 drive. They can be either SATA, or NVMe at this point in time. You really won't see that great of a difference between them if you're only gaming and such (not even in load times). So I would more or less stick with your 850 Pro as your main drive.

A M.2 NVMe drive shines is large file transfers due to its insane transfers speeds. But they cost a whole bunch more because of how fast and new they are.

IMG_0754-1.jpg

9 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

Here's a picture of an M.2 drive. They can be either SATA, or NVMe at this point in time. You really won't see that great of a difference between them if you're only gaming and such (not even in load times). So I would more or less stick with your 850 Pro as your main drive.

A M.2 NVMe drive shines is large file transfers due to its insane transfers speeds. But they cost a whole bunch more because of how fast and new they are.

SATA/NVME are not the same thing.  SATA vs PCIE and AHCI vs NVME is the correct comparison. SATA and PCIE are transfer standards while AHCI and NVME are storage protocols.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

3 hours ago, Samfisher said:

SATA/NVME are not the same thing.  SATA vs PCIE and AHCI vs NVME is the correct comparison. SATA and PCIE are transfer standards while AHCI and NVME are transfer protocols.

That's what I thought as well. So I guess getting a Samsung 850 Evo SATA SSD would be the better buy as of now (for my use)?

Just now, I Hendrycks I said:

That's what I thought as well. So I guess getting a Samsung 850 Evo SATA SSD would be the better buy as of now?

Yes.  Nothing a desktop user will do will benefit from a PCIE SSD right now.  Even boot speeds only improve 1-2 seconds at best.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

3 hours ago, Samfisher said:

Yes.  Nothing a desktop user will do will benefit from a PCIE SSD right now.  Even boot speeds only improve 1-2 seconds at best.

Awesome! Is the EVO still considered the best budget buy SSD? 

1 minute ago, I Hendrycks I said:

Awesome! Is the EVO still considered the best budget buy SSD? 

Yeah, I'd say so. One of the most recommended ones.

3 hours ago, GlassBomb said:

Yeah, I'd say so. One of the most recommended ones.

Sounds good, I'll just grab one of those then. Thanks for the help!