exFAT or NTFS?

I am an SSD

I am not really sure which of the mentioned formats I have to choose. If anyone can provide a little info to help me decide, that would be great. A link to a good website will do as well.

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

Spoiler

My computers as of 2017/03

My Old PC

Spoiler

Dell Vostro 260 $150 2010

CPU: i3-2120@3.3Ghz, GPU: Intel HD Graphics 2000, ATI Radeon X1300, RAM: 4GB Axevir Budget Series, SSD: 240GB Radeon R7, HDD: random 250GB and random 160 GB, CASE: Crap from Dell, OS: Windows 7 Enterprise

My Current PC

Spoiler

Custom Build $1200 2016

CPU: i5-6600k@3.6Ghz, GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury, RAM: 16GB Geil EVO X, SSD: 240GB Radeon R7, HDD: Hitachi 500GB, CASE: Deepcool Kendomen, OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Laptop

Spoiler

ASUS F8S $1150 2008

CPU: Core 2 Duo T7500, GPU: ATI 2400 Mobility, RAM: 8GB Mushkins, SSHD: 1TB Seagate Hybrid Drive, OS: Windows 7 Ultimate N and Windows 10 Professional

HTPC

Spoiler

MSi Cubi $200 2016

CPU: Pentium 3805u@1.9Ghz, GPU: Intel HD, RAM: 4GB Crucial DDR3L, SSD: 120GB Radeon R7

Other Laptop

Spoiler

HP 2210b $400 2009

CPU: Core 2 Duo T8100@2.1Ghz, GPU: Intel GM965, RAM: 2GB Hynix, HDD: Hitachi 160GB, OS: Linux Mint 17.3 and Lubuntu

*All Prices in the Canadian Dollar

Just now, MpB907 said:

According to benchmarks, (Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-file-system-ntfs,3166.htmlexFAT and NTFS are so similar in performance, it doesn't really matter what you choose.

I myself would go with NTFS because of security and stability.

What is the allocation size unit? When formatting a drive, it asks me to select one. The default is 256kb when exfat is chosen.

Spoiler

Is this for an external drive?

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

Just now, Shahnewaz said:

Is this for an external drive?

Yes

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, MpB907 said:

According to benchmarks, (Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-file-system-ntfs,3166.htmlexFAT and NTFS are so similar in performance, it doesn't really matter what you choose.

I myself would go with NTFS though, because of security and stability features.

What stability and security features will be relevant? I use my drive very sparsely these days, but may use it as extra space to install games which I regularly dont play, movies im done with etc. I assume by security features you mean it is easier to recover data from it incase the contents are deleted by mistake?

Spoiler

If you have any probability of using your external drive on a Mac, then use exFAT. Otherwise, go with NTFS.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

7 hours ago, MpB907 said:

Nope, then it doesn't really matter, but as @Shahnewaz said, if you're gonna use the drive on a Mac, use ExFAT.

EDIT: As for allocation size, you can find the default (and recommended - by microsoft) here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/140365

thanks for the link, I had already formatted it to exFAT with 256kb of allocation size, while the recommended  is 128kb, but i dont think it will make much of a difference

There was a post somewhere which said that allocation size merely meant amount of space allocated for each portion of data will be 1/2 the size of the allocation size, which i didnt really understand but again, not that important I suppose.

Spoiler

14 hours ago, I am an SSD said:

thanks for the link, I had already formatted it to exFAT with 256kb of allocation size, while the recommended  is 128kb, but i dont think it will make much of a difference

There was a post somewhere which said that allocation size merely meant amount of space allocated for each portion of data will be 1/2 the size of the allocation size, which i didnt really understand but again, not that important I suppose.

Allocation size is the smallest amount of space that data can take up on your hard drive. So for your example of a 256KB allocation size. Your computer basically divides your HDD into a bunch of 256KB blocks, and gives them numbers. These numbers are also essentially what your MBR/GPT will reference when it goes to look for a file. Now say you go to put your very first file on this drive, and it's an 8KB file. The HDD will put that into block 1, which means there is another 248KB of free space left in that block (256-8). However, the hard drive can't use the rest of that 248KB of space because it would have no way to reference it if it did. This means your file that is 8KB digitally is effectively taking up 256KB worth of space on your HDD physically. When you go to put a second file on the HDD, it will go into block 2 which starts on the 257th KB on the disk, not the 9th KB right after the first file.

Generally speaking, a higher allocation size will decrease seek times, giving slightly better performance, because the HDD doesn't have as many records to search through but at the same time, it wastes a little more space.

In practice though, you honestly are very unlikely to see much of difference at all. It's possible to, especially within benchmarks, but very unlikely in everyday use for the typical home user. 

Do note, that exFAT is directly supported in windows 10 and can be used at bigger capacities than what NTFS can support, as well as the fact NTFS is slowly becoming obsolete (exFAT supersedes NTFS)

Also, exFAT was designed for flash media, so for an SSD, which is a type of flash media, go for exFAT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

53 minutes ago, EmeraldFlame said:

Allocation size is the smallest amount of space that data can take up on your hard drive. So for your example of a 256KB allocation size. Your computer basically divides your HDD into a bunch of 256KB blocks, and gives them numbers. These numbers are also essentially what your MBR/GPT will reference when it goes to look for a file. Now say you go to put your very first file on this drive, and it's an 8KB file. The HDD will put that into block 1, which means there is another 248KB of free space left in that block (256-8). However, the hard drive can't use the rest of that 248KB of space because it would have no way to reference it if it did. This means your file that is 8KB digitally is effectively taking up 256KB worth of space on your HDD physically. When you go to put a second file on the HDD, it will go into block 2 which starts on the 257th KB on the disk, not the 9th KB right after the first file.

Generally speaking, a higher allocation size will decrease seek times, giving slightly better performance, because the HDD doesn't have as many records to search through but at the same time, it wastes a little more space.

In practice though, you honestly are very unlikely to see much of difference at all. It's possible to, especially within benchmarks, but very unlikely in everyday use for the typical home user. 

I just wanted to say that this is a very informative, clear and easy to understand post. so Thank you.

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

10 hours ago, EmeraldFlame said:

Thats a great explanation...thanks

Spoiler