Dell Latitude E4310 13" Notebook PC - Intel Core i5 2.4GHz 4GB 160GB $179.99

SirNumbers

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Latitude-E4310-Notebook-Refurbished/dp/B00Y1KCMLK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1459649812&sr=

Good specs for the price

• This Certified Refurbished product is tested & certified to look and work like new by a Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher. The product includes accessories, and is backed by a 1 year warranty.
  • Intel Core i5 2.4GHz Processor
  • 4GB RAM - 160GB SATA Hard Drive
  • Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)
  • 13.3" WLED Anti-Glare LED Display (1366x768)

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

this computer needs a ram upgrade and an ssd.......so basically 250$

xD

and at this price range a chromebook probably is a better choice. 

Just now, Arty said:

this computer needs a ram upgrade and an ssd.......so basically 250$

xD

and at this price range a chromebook probably is a better choice. 

Really? A chromebook vs windows with an i5?

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

1 minute ago, SirNumbers said:

Really? A chromebook vs windows with an i5?

a 2.4 Ghz i5, on windows. tho 

and older architexture

1 hour ago, Arty said:

a 2.4 Ghz i5, on windows. tho 

and older architexture

cmon, still leaps and bounds better than a Chromebook. On the other side the OS alone has more functionality. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Well, the specs look decent for the price, but there's a lot more to consider when buying a laptop. How do the build quality, keyboard, and touchpad stack up? Is the screen as awful as everything I've looked at from the Vostro lineup? How long is the laptop's average battery life?

If it's refurbished, at least it works, so there's at least one step that sets it apart from Dell's quality control issues on their price-to-performance laptops. The popular Dell Inspiron 7559 is the best value I've seen in a laptop, but a bunch of people appear to have received defective products, judging by the Amazon review for it.

The only review on Amazon is some guy who says his granddaughter is satisfied with doing her homework on it, which doesn't tell us a whole lot.

I agree with Aereldor.

Being a father of a high school kid myself I can definitely appreciate that this would be a Good first computer for the kid.

The school gives computer laptops to them so school work is done there and if this lasts the 4 years of high school ,That would be great, Then for college I would get her something with more girth..

Most kids already have a PS3-4 a smart phone and a desktop they can use and if this could be used as an entertainment tool great.

5 hours ago, maulemall said:

I agree with Aereldor.

Being a father of a high school kid myself I can definitely appreciate that this would be a Good first computer for the kid.

The school gives computer laptops to them so school work is done there and if this lasts the 4 years of high school ,That would be great, Then for college I would get her something with more girth..

Most kids already have a PS3-4 a smart phone and a desktop they can use and if this could be used as an entertainment tool great.

I don't see how we're in agreement, friend. The only good things about the laptop I know is that it's dirt-cheap, it'll still be dirt-cheap for the specs after a hard drive and RAM upgrade, and the fact that it's refurbished removes it slightly from the quality-control issues that Dell is known for.

I don't know how long the 'Latitude E4310' is going to last, and whether it provides a comfortable user experience. I think it's easy to forget that a laptop is more than the sum-total of its parts- one has to consider all the things I mentioned, and I didn't even bother mentioning battery life (this doesn't ship with the optional 6-cell battery) or thermal efficiency, both of which were a lot further behind in 2011 than they are now.

Here's the only review I found, and while it appears to have been a decent budget laptop back in its day, the same cannot be said when it's been left to age for five years.

The other virtue of this laptop is more of an enthusiast/tinkerer feature- its expresscard slot has a similar interface to the mini PCIe slot, which allows for an external graphics card to be connected using BangGood.com's EXP GDC Beast external GPU adapter, turning this into a capable budget gaming solution as soon as you put in another 4 gigabytes of RAM and upgrade that awful hard drive.

The only good things about the laptop I know is that it's dirt-cheap, it'll still be dirt-cheap for the specs after a hard drive and RAM upgrade, and the fact that it's refurbished removes it slightly from the quality-control issues that Dell is known for.

That there is were we agree. It's perfect for that reason alone. A 12 or 13 year old doesn't need any more than this as a first laptop.