Overclocking i5-6600K

Hey, I've got an ASUS Z170-A motherboard, an i5-6600K and the Cooler Master 212 Evo cooler and was looking to overclock. I've overclocked way back with my 2600K but haven't since and was looking for some advice. I looked at a lot of guides online and saw that a 4.6GHz overclock is pretty reasonable and that most chips could just set the multiplier to 46 and be good to go but my computer became insanely unstable. I kept getting various BSOD no matter what I did and as soon as I removed the overclock everything was fine again (I've never personally seen that happen).

I saw that ASUS recommends to turn off SVID when overclocking so I was wondering if their are any specific settings that my motherboard has that I should definitely disable when overclocking? Guides are great but they never go too in-depth on what settings to turn off or definitely keep on. I don't really want to get a super high overclock, just high enough to get some more out of the chip. Thanks!

You have to increase voltage to make it stable. But more voltage=more heat. Start slowly and run different stress tests.

Did you touch the voltage at all?

If so, try bumping it up in small increments, youre probably pushing the core multiplier too far without feeding the chip more voltage that it needs to achieve the higher clocks :D 

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

3 hours ago, chiwas said:

You have to increase voltage to make it stable. But more voltage=more heat. Start slowly and run different stress tests.

3 hours ago, Swndlr said:

Did you touch the voltage at all?

If so, try bumping it up in small increments, youre probably pushing the core multiplier too far without feeding the chip more voltage that it needs to achieve the higher clocks :D 

I watched Paul's Hardware video from when Skylake came out and he just switched his multiplier to 44 and everything was fine. He also reiterated that unless you get a bad chip, just doing that is very doable.

I just turned on the XMP profile for my RAM as it's meant to run at 2400MHz and changed my CPU to 4.4GHz for now at 1.35v - is that good? Should I bother benchmarking it or can I just simply attempt to play some games while monitoring the temps and see how it goes? If I wanted to get up to 4.6GHz would I just try bumping it up to like 1.5v or is that too high?

Thanks!

I've been using a Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 since January, set the multiplier to 45 right out of the box with no voltage increase, and haven't had any issues (using a Arctic Liquid Freezer 120 for cooling). 31C idle, 58C under load. Been curious about pushing it further, but I'm enjoying the stability/performance I've gotten so far. I second Swndlr, try small increments on the voltage, and keep an eye on those temps. Good luck with yours.