what does com stand for in schematics?

Bajantechnician
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,
Just now, Bajantechnician said:

Yes, i know.

but in this case it is ground correct?

yes for the PSU it is

So I'm using the pinout thing for the ax1200i from overclock.net, and it says com. Does that mean ground?

Thanjst

well... do you see "GND" listed anywhere else?

if not... they used "COM" (common AKA ground.)

common

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

well... do you see "GND" listed anywhere else?

Yeah, it's com

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

common

I see. Thank you both

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

oh and btw common is not always ground

using a multimeter to measure current makes the common live power

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

if common isnt ground, they have a ground somewhere else "usually"

and in the case of the multimeter... yes and no.. this is some touchy topic here, because if you put the meter on the ground wire, you basicly make the "vcc" ground, or, in the very theory, its acutally neither, since there is a theoretical resistance in the meter and blabla.

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

no ground, only common

It's psu, so I believe it's only 12,3.3, and 5 v

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

if common isnt ground, they have a ground somewhere else "usually"

and in the case of the multimeter... yes and no.. this is some touchy topic here, because if you put the meter on the ground wire, you basicly make the "vcc" ground, or, in the very theory, its acutally neither, since there is a theoretical resistance in the meter and blabla.

No ground. Only common

COM would be the common ground between the different voltage rails.

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

What other point are you measuring between?

1 hour ago, Squirrel724 said:

COM would be the common ground between the different voltage rails.

ummm

i think i broke my cable. lolpsu wonnt accept it to boot properlyitll boot, but i think i switched up rails. voltages are correct

time to get a new one

16 hours ago, Squirrel724 said:

you put the red wire on the positive end of the battery and use the black wire as +

then you complete the circuit and measure amps

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

you put the red wire on the positive end of the battery and use the black wire as +

then you complete the circuit and measure amps

It's psu cables. Not a battery circuit

5 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

It's psu cables. Not a battery circuit

i know

did you not read my first post?

"common is not always ground for multimeters"

Spoiler

47 minutes ago, Enderman said:

i know

Yes, i know.

Just now, Bajantechnician said:

Yes, i know.

yes for the PSU it is

Spoiler

55 minutes ago, Enderman said:

i know

We were talking about com on the psu, not multimeters. On most multimeters COM is the negative for all settings except 10A which has its own negative as it is fused differently.

34 minutes ago, Squirrel724 said:

We were talking about com on the psu, not multimeters. On most multimeters COM is the negative for all settings except 10A which has its own negative as it is fused differently.

Yes I know that, that's why I specifically said that com is not always ground, such as when dealing with multimeters

I was teaching him something new. Did you not read??

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Enderman said:

Yes I know that, that's why I specifically said that com is not always ground, such as when dealing with multimeters

I was teaching him something new. Did you not read??

3 hours ago, Squirrel724 said:

no more fighting you to.

but thank you