ADSL2+ PCI Card for Home router/server combo?

Slamel

Does anybody know if there are ADSL2+ PCI cards out there that I can put in my home server so that I can have my server second as a router and modem?

I haven't been able to find any cards for sale anywhere

Probably because they no longer exist or have never existed in the first place. You can find pci modems on ebay, but most of them are 56k. Get a stand alone modem instead and use it in bridge mode with pfsense (assuming you are running it).

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

I don't want to get a standalone modem, because wouldn't you get better performance using a legitimate cpu for your upstream/downstream and routing?

basically what i want to do is replace my centurylink router/modem with my server to make it both a router and server and not deal with extra peripherals that i would have to rent or pay for

I don't want to get a standalone modem' date=' because wouldn't you get better performance using a legitimate cpu for your upstream/downstream and routing?[/quote']

A modem in bridge mode would act as a converter so you wont get any performance issues, and then the routing will be performed by the dedicated server where that CPU power matters.

After all ADSL2+ gives you a max theoretical down speed of 24 Mbit/s, anything can handle those speeds. CPU power is mostly needed for routing.

Don't buy a new one yet, try your old one in bridge mode.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

• 3 weeks later...