Windows 10 users, what are the things that you dislike about OS X?

iUSEMAC
3 hours ago, ShadesOfGrey said:

-I absolutely HATE how in OSX, closing with the red X simply "minimizes" the app, but keeps the app running until you actually quit it.  I further hated it when Windows 8/8.1 adopted that feature, and think that one of the best features of Windows 10 was them getting rid of that.

-I hate how "minimize/maximize" work in Aqua in conjunction with the dock.  A lot.  And I don't think that navigating between apps is any more efficient than using the taskbar and/or Windows keyboard shortcuts.

-Lots of little things, but overall, I don't like Aqua at all.

Yup, when I first installed Yosemite I thought the apps on which I clicked the red dot will close as it did in windows but no they were not, instead a stupid little dot sort of notification appears beneath the app icon on the dock which indicates that the application is still running in background. Keyboard shortcuts are horrendous you can't even copy and paste without using the option + command + v but in yosemite I like its flat UI compared to the aqua of Mountain Lion and Mavericks.

I used it a few years ago as a work provided machine and I had two primary issues with it. The first was support for Java and the JDK which was majorly problematic and resulted in me having to use a remote Linux desktop for dev work, that sucked. Secondly I had problems with getting good software for managing VPNs and email and the end result was unstable.

But really the primary reason why I don't even consider it today is hardware support. I build my own PC and that desktop forms my primary use of a computer and as a gamer and a professional programmer I chose hardware that suits what I do. I can't install Mac OS X on that hardware hence I don't even check it out. I actually tried last year to run it in a VM to see if I would be interested in using it as a daily driver as Windows 10 has been unstable but I couldn't make it do any hardware acceleration under Virtualbox and it was stuck at like 800x600 or something stupid. So hardware and VM support is a big blocker to any chance of using Mac OS X, I can't even try it out without buying heavily marked up Apple hardware and based on my experience with a Mac laptop at work that isn't going to happen.

12 hours ago, BrightCandle said:

But really the primary reason why I don't even consider it today is hardware support. I build my own PC and that desktop forms my primary use of a computer and as a gamer and a professional programmer I chose hardware that suits what I do. I can't install Mac OS X on that hardware hence I don't even check it out. I actually tried last year to run it in a VM to see if I would be interested in using it as a daily driver as Windows 10 has been unstable but I couldn't make it do any hardware acceleration under Virtualbox and it was stuck at like 800x600 or something stupid. So hardware and VM support is a big blocker to any chance of using Mac OS X, I can't even try it out without buying heavily marked up Apple hardware and based on my experience with a Mac laptop at work that isn't going to happen.

As someone who is in to Hackintosh as a hobby, the resolution issue can in fact be fixed.  Although, perhaps not in VirtualBox.  I had the same problem in VBox, until I switched to VMware.

There is indeed a fan made version of VMware tools for OS X guests (known as "Darwin.iso") that fixes the resolution issue.  It comes bundled with the fan made Unlocker tool for VMware.  You still may have to fight with things like getting sound working and/or optimizing your display depending on what kind of hardware you're using, though.  Although, if you're in to it, there are plenty of pre-made OS X .vmdk files out there in internet land which work quite well.

So yeah, because OS X lacks most of the major hardware drivers that Windows has, and must legally be officially unsupported for hypervisors on Non-Apple hardware, then the hardware support is far behind.