Can I listen to my spotify playlist in VLC

Go to solution Solved by Luc401,
Just now, Howlingwolf101 said:

It depends on if spotify lets you download those songs or saves them locally which I would imagine it would do something like that for offline. In which case it might be as simple as finding the songs and changing their default music player to VLC, I can't say for sure because I don't have the premium version.

Spotify downloads them locally yes, but only allows the spotify client to play them.

So I got Spotify premiere recently, I love it however I hate the Spotify desktop client.  The web browser is fine but that doesn't work when I am offline.  Can I use VLC to listen to my offline playlists?

(I am on windows 7)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Obligatory PC specs

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Storage: ADATA Premier SP550 240GB
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500GB
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB G1
Case: Fractal Design Define S
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W

Spoiler
If you are new please read the CoC!

Please FOLLOW YOUR OWN THREADS!

Quote people when replying to them.

PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR DARK THEME USERS.

Mark your problem as solved if answered and like all helpful information.

DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES(!) just type -pic- or tag them as spoiler.

Don't criticize people for asking "stupid question".

There is actually a hidden search feature on the forums here: Search 

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE A FANBOY/FANGIRL. WHAT MATTERS IS THAT YOU DON'T LET THAT EFFECT YOUR HARDWARE RECOMMENDATIONS.

DO NOT POST SPAM!

I mean you probably could work it out to work, but not realllly........

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

It depends on if spotify lets you download those songs or saves them locally which I would imagine it would do something like that for offline. In which case it might be as simple as finding the songs and changing their default music player to VLC, I can't say for sure because I don't have the premium version.

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

Spotify downloads them locally yes, but only allows the spotify client to play them.

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

Just now, Luc401 said:

how are they saved? mp3, .wav etc. or is it a spotify extension

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

2 minutes ago, Howlingwolf101 said:

I couldn't find them last time I checked

1 minute ago, Luc401 said:

Ahh, that sucks, oh well.  Their client is just so clunky for me.  What file extension are they?

Spoiler
Spoiler

Obligatory PC specs

Spoiler

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE A FANBOY/FANGIRL. WHAT MATTERS IS THAT YOU DON'T LET THAT EFFECT YOUR HARDWARE RECOMMENDATIONS.

DO NOT POST SPAM!

how are they saved? mp3, .wav etc. or is it a spotify extension

Its some wierd spotify premium chunk of playlist which cannot be opened or modified.

1 minute ago, TotalLegitREMIX said:

I couldn't find them last time I checked

Ahh, that sucks, oh well.  Their client is just so clunky for me.  What file extension are they?

Could not tell you the file extension sorry, maybe a quick google can help you with that part.

1 minute ago, Luc401 said:

Its some wierd spotify premium chunk of playlist which cannot be opened or modified.

Oh, that's pretty smart to stop pirating, just save them all as one file.  But that sucks for me, someone who actually pays for premium, who can't use a different client

Spoiler
Spoiler

Obligatory PC specs

Spoiler

DO NOT POST SPAM!

Just now, Luc401 said:

well it doesn't look like you can then. sorry mate

Spoiler

well it doesn't look like you can then. sorry mate

Just now, TotalLegitREMIX said:

Oh, that's pretty smart to stop pirating, just save them all as one file.  But that sucks for me, someone who actually pays for premium, who can't use a different client

There are definetly ways to still do the VLC thing, but it would most likely take hours of time and maybe some programming/ server hosting.

I just ran into this code on github if you're up for a challenge https://github.com/jonas-lundqvist/vlc-spotify