The New DDR4

When DDR4 RAM planned release date for the first quarter of 2014 for Desktops. Will they upgrade the 8GB sticks to 16GB and/or  32GB like for the current server registered DDR3 RAM?

Second question will DDR4 RAM sticks work in a DDR3 memory slot on a consumers level motherboard. (Home use / Game use)

The IDF Conference 2013 in San Francisco that ended last week, had several RAM vendors advertising thee new DDR4 memory. Unfortunately I didn't go to this conference, I only saw short YouTube videos of this conference.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/23598/samsung_are_pushing_intel_to_launch_ddr4_ahead_of_its_2014_release_date/index.html

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/memory/display/20130912235007_G_Skill_Demonstrates_Its_First_DDR4_Memory_Modules.html

Michael Summers

CaseObsidian 900D  MOBORampage IV Extreme CPU:  i7-4960X Ivy Bridge-E 3.6GHz  RAM:: Vengeance Pro 32GB  Boot : RAID 0  840 Pro  512GB  Data:  RAID 10 WD Red  2TB PS: Corsair : AX1200 GPU:  ASUS  GTX-780 Ti

Birthday Gift from my wife - She made me order it and built it :-)

I doubt DDR4 will work in a DDR3 slot. I also don't think capacities will change that much.

I wouldn't even bother worrying about DDR4 RAM till at least 2 years from now. I bought 16GB of DDR3 1866mhz 9-9-9-27 for $116 back in Feb. That would have been unheard of back when the X58 platform was launched. DDR3 was so expensive that a 6GB kit was a small fortune. Wait until DDR3 starts being phased out before considering a DDR4 build.

DDR4 will be like every other DDR generational release in that it won't be compatible with previous generations.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

And then we can discuss DDR5 in a few years time and talk about how "slow" DDR4 was.

And then we can discuss DDR5 in a few years time and talk about how "slow" DDR4 was.

Every generational release of RAM is slower than the last when it comes to latencies.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I wouldn't even bother worrying about DDR4 RAM till at least 2 years from now. I bought 16GB of DDR3 1866mhz 9-9-9-27 for $116 back in Feb. That would have been unheard of back when the X58 platform was launched. DDR3 was so expensive that a 6GB kit was a small fortune. Wait until DDR3 starts being phased out before considering a DDR4 build.

Naw it is coming out within 6 months or less from 01/01/2014. As soon as Intel gives permission. That is what the Crucial Rep said to Kyle at the IDF Confernce in San Francisco last week. Samsung and G'Skill was showing off the DDR4 engineering samples too.  Linus or Paul wasn't at this conference but Newegg sent Kyle and Steve to the conference

Michael Summers

CaseObsidian 900D  MOBORampage IV Extreme CPU:  i7-4960X Ivy Bridge-E 3.6GHz  RAM:: Vengeance Pro 32GB  Boot : RAID 0  840 Pro  512GB  Data:  RAID 10 WD Red  2TB PS: Corsair : AX1200 GPU:  ASUS  GTX-780 Ti

Naw it is coming out within 6 months or less from 01/01/2014. As soon as Intel gives permission.

Yeah, but at what price?

DEPLOY THE EARLY ADOPTERS!

Yeah, but at what price?

a price not even close to worth it :D

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It will be nice, but for time being DDR3 will be more than enough for the next few years for gaming. Only really worth it for workstation machines.

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini / Motherboard:GigaByte G1-Sniper-M5 / CPU: Intel 4670k / Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz / GPU: Asus GTX770 Direct CU 2GB / PSU: OCZ ZT650 / SSD: 2xSamsung 840 240GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB / Cooler: Corsair H100i / Fans: 3x Corsair AF120 + 2 Corsair SP120 / Mouse: Corsair M65 / Keyboard: Cheap Crap/ Headset: Razer Kraken / Misk: 3DConnexion mouse / Flight stick: Cyborg F.L.Y 5

I have 1Gb of DDR2 ram in my current pc. If I had 32Gb i would probably cry in pure joy.

I jsut realized with these massive memory amounts ramdisks will become alot more common...

DDR5 is already here. It't been here some time now. We use it in graphic cards. DDR5 is not stable enough for desktops and severs

Michael Summers

It will be nice, but for time being DDR3 will be more than enough for the next few years for gaming. Only really worth it for workstation machines.

You are absolutely right. I never said or will be a gamer. I'm a graphic designer and and website developer as my trade, and going back to school to learn video production. hence I want a high powered workstation for video editing and processing.

I link up with the gaming community because they were into the best CPU's, RAM, and Graphic Cards all the stuff that I wanted.

Michael Summers

DDR5 is already here. It't been here some time now. We use it in graphic cards. DDR5 is not stable enough for desktops and severs

It is not DDR5. It is GDDR5. GDDR and DDR are very different.

You are absolutely right. I never said or will be a gamer. I'm a graphic designer and and website developer as my trade, and going back to school to learn video production. hence I want a high powered workstation for video editing and processing.

I link up with the gaming community because they were into the best CPU's, RAM, and Graphic Cards all the stuff that I wanted.

fair enough then, Yeah PC gamers are tech obsessed.....We like to tinker :D

I Have two rigs my self, one I use for gaming, and one I use for editing and animation (3ds max/After effects/Nuke) so I do like having alot of ram....although too poor to buy more than 16gb

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini / Motherboard:GigaByte G1-Sniper-M5 / CPU: Intel 4670k / Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz / GPU: Asus GTX770 Direct CU 2GB / PSU: OCZ ZT650 / SSD: 2xSamsung 840 240GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB / Cooler: Corsair H100i / Fans: 3x Corsair AF120 + 2 Corsair SP120 / Mouse: Corsair M65 / Keyboard: Cheap Crap/ Headset: Razer Kraken / Misk: 3DConnexion mouse / Flight stick: Cyborg F.L.Y 5

GDDR5 and 4 is based off DDR3 technology

GDDR 3 and 2 I think is based off DDR2 technology

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

GDDR5 and 4 is based off DDR3 technology

They are still different. In fact, All generations of DDR are Double Data Rate while GDDR5 is actually QDR(quad data rate).

Yeah, but at what price?

I have no clue. and I'm not very worried about the price right now. When it come time to purchase the RAM then I will worry about the price. I just built two systems in the pass 7 months. I will not build another system for maybe 2 years even if the new DDR4 RAM will not work in my current builds.

Michael Summers

They are still different. In fact, All generations of DDR are Double Data Rate while GDDR5 is actually QDR(quad data rate).

Yes I know they are completely different, but they still based it off DDR3

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

It is not DDR5. It is GDDR5. GDDR and DDR are very different.

lol you right. I never really look at the spelling of GDDR. I always thought it said DDR5

Michael Summers

Yes I know they are completely different, but they still based it off DDR3

Second post it says GDDR. G means graphic DDR means system RAM. So my original post stands. DDR5 is not stable enough for Desktops or Servers.. I think I quoting J.J. from ASUS on his blog. I read his post several month ago. I have no way in finding that hyperlink.

Michael Summers

Adata leaked a single DDR4 32GB stick soooo yea

Yeah I saw that, doubt it will be for mass market, seeing how big and clumsy it is...

Still I don't think DDR4 is the future, HMC is. :)

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

I'm pretty sure Samsung was experimenting with RAM sticks using DDR5, they all blew up in their faces

• 7 months later...

I understand that DDR4 won't run in a DDR3 mobo, question is will DDR3 run in a DDR4 mobo, you know upgrading to a new platform where little to no existing parts can be used gets expensive quick.  Especially when you are a bit short on funds for the bleeding edge parts, and have to settle on a temporary piece just to get the machine running in the meanwhile.

Yeah, I know, if you can't afford bleeding edge you shouldn't be buying them... I'm silly like that!