59fps on 60hz looks like 20? + Questions

Rob.S
Go to solution Solved by mathijs727,
6 minutes ago, Rob.S said:

So can I disable it and not get tearing if the game stays at 60?

If you disable Vsync you will get tearing.

If you enable Vsync you're framerate will drop to 30fps when it can't hit 60fps.

If you're monitor supports Gsync enable it.

Gsync changes your monitors refresh rate to be equal to your monitors FPS.

If it does not have Gsync, go to Nvidia control panel and enable adaptive Vsync (under "Manage 3D settings" in the left menu -> "global settings" tab -> set "Vertical sync" to "Adaptive").

Adaptive Vsync will disable vsync when you're frame rate drops below 60fps.

So you will have no tearing at 60fps.

If your framerate drops below 60fps it will tear but at least it will not be 30fps.

Hi all,

In GTA 5 (completely vanilla) I sometimes get drops to 59fps from 60. Now I turn off in-game VSync and enable it with the smooth option and enable triple buffering in nVidia control panel. But when it drops to 59 in game, it looks like 20!! How can I solve this? As a side note, what could help? Will overclocking my monitor help? I have a 4K 60hz monitor, and someone got to 72hz with display

ort, at 4K. My specs? i7 5820K, 980Ti 2 way SLI, 16GB RAM, SSD (gta v on it)... Anyone have any solutions? How can I actually keep the game smooth? Also, does SLI worsen it?

if you have vsync enabled when it drops below 60 it drops to 30 on the monitor. that's why v-sync is trash.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

35 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

if you have vsync enabled when it drops below 60 it drops to 30 on the monitor. that's why v-sync is trash.

6 minutes ago, Rob.S said:

If you enable Vsync you're framerate will drop to 30fps when it can't hit 60fps.

If it does not have Gsync, go to Nvidia control panel and enable adaptive Vsync (under "Manage 3D settings" in the left menu -> "global settings" tab -> set "Vertical sync" to "Adaptive").

If your framerate drops below 60fps it will tear but at least it will not be 30fps.

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

22 minutes ago, mathijs727 said:

Thank you so much! Exactly what I was looking for!

GSync? I wish... rip wallet