Is it worth Upgrading My Internet Speed to 30mbps Down?

Go to solution Solved by Jonny,

You can stream 1080p content easy with 15mbps.

Only worth upgrading if you having more people use the Internet connection, like multiple 1080p streams at once to stop buffering issues.

I'm guessing you will be getting the same Ping/Latency by upgrading, unless its fibre line or something with 30MBPS package.

I'm from the UK but I think "Shaw" is a cable line for internet. So you wont get a faster connection by upgrading, but the throughput will be more. As others have said.

So if its mainly gaming you do then better off with CPU unless ping is going to get lower especially if you playing CS:GO.

Current Internet Speed: 15 Down .5 up. Upgrading to 30 mbps down and 5 mbps up would cost me roughly $200 CAD more than what I'm currently paying. Is it worth it? I would have to sacrifice a PC upgrade. Would 30 mbps down make a noticeable difference? The other option is upgrade from my i3 4170 to a Xeon e3 1231 v3. What should i do? 

5210689333.png

Just now, Smooth Bunz said:

200 a month or a year?

on a 2 year contract. 

6 minutes ago, Bobby_Joe_90 said:

Current Internet Speed: 15 Down .5 up. Upgrading to 30 mbps down and 5 mbps up would cost me roughly $200 CAD more than what I'm currently paying. Is it worth it? I would have to sacrifice a PC upgrade. Would 30 mbps down make a noticeable difference? The other option is upgrade from my i3 4170 to a Xeon e3 1231 v3. What should i do? 

5210689333.png

what are you doing with your internet?

So 100 more a year than right? Id say thats worth it to double your down and get a huge leap in up speeds

Just now, mikat said:

what are you doing with your internet?

Mostly gaming and streaming video.

7 hours ago, mikat said:

are you noticing that it is lagging?

I can't see how it isn't with .5 up.

I have the same 15 down plan and don't notice anything wrong with it. If you do a lot of downloading or want to try game streaming the higher priced plan would probably be good.

I'd do it solely for the upload speed increase personally... especially if you use cloud storage a lot or ever want to remotely access things at home.

15mbps down is still plenty enough for most things, sure you have to wait a bit longer on a large download, but its not like it is common to be downloading 100mb+ files.

You can stream 1080p content easy with 15mbps.

Only worth upgrading if you having more people use the Internet connection, like multiple 1080p streams at once to stop buffering issues.

I'm guessing you will be getting the same Ping/Latency by upgrading, unless its fibre line or something with 30MBPS package.

I'm from the UK but I think "Shaw" is a cable line for internet. So you wont get a faster connection by upgrading, but the throughput will be more. As others have said.

So if its mainly gaming you do then better off with CPU unless ping is going to get lower especially if you playing CS:GO.

Our Lord and Saviour Chunt!!!