Should I switch?

imkinger

so I have this setup right now that my brother put in our house

Which is a Linksys  WRT54GL http://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-WRT54GL/ and a tnn aztech 600e modem(cant find english link for it)

Now My dad brought him this Modem router http://www.netgear.com/service-providers/products/telco/gateways/vegn2610.aspx

Should I switch between them?

also can i use the old linksys router as a wifi extander? 

#EDIT: FORGOT TO MENTION IM NOT EXPERIANCED WITH NETWORKING AT ALL.

System

• CPU
    i3 3220 3.3GHz
  • Motherboard
    H61H2-MV
  • RAM
    8GB no name
  • GPU
    Radeon HD 4870
  • Case
    Thermaltake Core V21
  • Storage
    1TB HDD, 700gb HDD, 320gb HDD and 256gb SSD
  • PSU
    Corsair CX600
  • Display(s)
    Flatron L1960TR , MAG MS776I , ViewSonic VA903m ( all of them are 1280x1024,dad found em) and a Fujicom FJ-32V TV
  • Cooling
    1 200M front fan, and unknowen CPU tower(low profile)
  • Keyboard
    HP QY776AT
  • Mouse
    LUOM G10
  • Sound
    Jamo E 4 CEN, Jamo E470 and Jamo E410 with a KENWOOD S505D
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro N

Yes you should switch. I'm not a big fan of modem/router combo units normally, but the WRT54 series is so outdated at this point that it is by far better.

With the WRT54G you are talking about extremely slow connection speeds of 54Mbps and only 2.4GHz whereas with that new unit you have access to the new AC standards for wireless which depending on support can go as fast as 1300Mbps on a 5GHz network.

If you're internet is slower than 54Mbps then you honestly may not see much of a difference, but any type of intranet activity (streaming from one computer to another, file transfers, etc) over the network will be more than an order of magnitude faster. You can use the linksys router as a wifi extender, however, you will need to reconfigure it and turn DHCP off and throw it into bridge mode. Just be aware that it will be glacially slow compared to the other access point.

1 minute ago, EmeraldFlame said:

Yes you should switch. I'm not a big fan of modem/router combo units normally, but the WRT54 series is so outdated at this point that it is by far better.

With the WRT54G you are talking about extremely slow connection speeds of 54Mbps and only 2.4GHz whereas with that new unit you have access to the new AC standards for wireless which depending on support can go as fast as 1300Mbps on a 5GHz network.

If you're internet is slower than 54Mbps then you honestly may not see much of a difference, but any type of intranet activity (streaming from one computer to another, file transfers, etc) over the network will be more than an order of magnitude faster. You can use the linksys router as a wifi extender, however, you will need to reconfigure it and turn DHCP off and throw it into bridge mode. Just be aware that it will be glacially slow compared to the other access point.

what about the wifi range?

will it be lowered by a lot or just a small bit?

System

• CPU
    i3 3220 3.3GHz
  • Motherboard
    H61H2-MV
  • RAM
    8GB no name
  • GPU
    Radeon HD 4870
  • Case
    Thermaltake Core V21
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Corsair CX600
  • Display(s)
    Flatron L1960TR , MAG MS776I , ViewSonic VA903m ( all of them are 1280x1024,dad found em) and a Fujicom FJ-32V TV
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    HP QY776AT
  • Mouse
    LUOM G10
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro N

8 minutes ago, imkinger said:

what about the wifi range?

will it be lowered by a lot or just a small bit?

I doubt you will see much of a change at all in wifi coverage, but I've never worked with that specific modem/router combo unit so I couldn't tell you for sure. However it does have both a 5GHz and 2.4GHz band built into it. 5GHz is great for pure speed but has a much smaller coverage area and has a harder time going through things like walls. This is why routers today also still have an older 2.4GHz connection. That 2.4GHz connection is slower than the 5GHz but has a much further range and better penetration. However, on this new unit it supports 802.11n on the 2.4GHz connection which is still an order of magnitude faster than your old unit which was only 802.11g. So while you're overall range is likely to stay about the same your speed will be faster all over and there will be a pocket in the center that's even faster. 

1 minute ago, EmeraldFlame said:

I doubt you will see much of a change at all in wifi coverage, but I've never worked with that specific modem/router combo unit so I couldn't tell you for sure. However it does have both a 5GHz and 2.4GHz band built into it. 5GHz is great fro pure speed but has a much small coverage area and has a harder time going through things like walls. This is why routers today also still have an older 2.4GHz connection. That 2.4GHz connection is slower than the 5GHz but has a much further range and better penetration. However, on this new unit it supports 802.11n on the 2.4GHz connection which is still an order of magnitude faster than your old unit which was only 802.11g. So while you're overall range is likely to stay about the same your speed will be faster all over and there will be a pocket in the center that's even faster. 

oh wow,Thanks alot :D 

System

• CPU
    i3 3220 3.3GHz
  • Motherboard
    H61H2-MV
  • RAM
    8GB no name
  • GPU
    Radeon HD 4870
  • Case
    Thermaltake Core V21
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Corsair CX600
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    HP QY776AT
  • Mouse
    LUOM G10
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro N

5 hours ago, EmeraldFlame said:

I doubt you will see much of a change at all in wifi coverage, but I've never worked with that specific modem/router combo unit so I couldn't tell you for sure. However it does have both a 5GHz and 2.4GHz band built into it. 5GHz is great for pure speed but has a much smaller coverage area and has a harder time going through things like walls. This is why routers today also still have an older 2.4GHz connection. That 2.4GHz connection is slower than the 5GHz but has a much further range and better penetration. However, on this new unit it supports 802.11n on the 2.4GHz connection which is still an order of magnitude faster than your old unit which was only 802.11g. So while you're overall range is likely to stay about the same your speed will be faster all over and there will be a pocket in the center that's even faster. 

well I made the switch and Guess what,It covers even more area then I thought it would,and I havent crashed yet so im feeling good :D

System

• CPU
    i3 3220 3.3GHz
  • Motherboard
    H61H2-MV
  • RAM
    8GB no name
  • GPU
    Radeon HD 4870
  • Case
    Thermaltake Core V21
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Corsair CX600
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    HP QY776AT
  • Mouse
    LUOM G10
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro N