Broadband usage limit

EmmaMay

In the UK some ISPs limit the broadband usage and some offer unlimited, the ones who limit charge for going over the monthly limit, my question is why can't all ISPs offer unlimited, the ones who limit say it's impossible to offer unlimited. 

because they want more money.

And probably their infrastructure is ancient and can't handle high traffic loads

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

With no limits, some people will use their connection a lot, so the average amount of traffic on their network goes up. If their infrastructure can't handle the increased traffic, you get congestion problems.

That's the technical side. But the business side also factors in, because the question is why their infrastructure can't handle the increased traffic. That has to do with how much they spend on upgrades, and how much they oversubscribe their connections, and how much they charge the customers.

4 minutes ago, EmmaMay said:

In the UK some ISPs limit the broadband usage and some offer unlimited, the ones who limit charge for going over the monthly limit, my question is why can't all ISPs offer unlimited, the ones who limit say it's impossible to offer unlimited. 

Some can because they have their own lines (Such as Virgin Media). As for the other ISPs, they use BT's line, therefore they can't provide "unlimited" broadband and it'll cause so much stress on their infrastructure.  

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Normally its only budget packages that have limited usage, its mostly just a way to earn more money from people that are not paying much for their package

most mid or top tier packages have no restrictions 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It's all a trick to fish for more money. 

Either such an ISP is still using copper or wireless tech such as radio or satellites for their trunk lines which by todays standards is stupid but plausible given the economics. For non-fiber lines it might actually be the case that they simply can't provide limitless speeds and amounts of data for all their customers. If all their customers went all out on the usage, none of them would have a decent experience. In that case the extra fee serves as a deterrence.

It's also possible that the ISP has already invested in fiber and is already using it and hence having no trouble providing unlimited data to their customers now and in the near-future. They might really need the money to pay for the investments but nonetheless there's no technological reason to limit data.

If it was any other way, they'd simply block the usage all together. I worked for an ISP during their fiber-transition and I'll be the first to say that it's by no means easy or cheap to do the transition. But fiber is among the best investments looking ways to the future. They had a saying: Copper rots, fiber lasts forever.

here in israel there is no limit on the broadband...that sound to me a bit funny...

Case: NZXT H440 CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.0 Cooler: Antec Kuhler H2O 920 Graphics Card: Zotac Mini GTX1070 Ti Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170 K3 RAM: Kingstone Fury 2x8GB Storage: Crucial P1 SSD, Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5, Hitachi - Deskstar 500 3.5" PSU: Corsair Enthusiast 550W 80+ Mouse: Logitech G403 OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit  Audio: ATH-AD500X

huh, and I complained about one of my ISPs servers bottlenecking my ping by 7 to 16 milliseconds... I guess I should shut up and be happy I won't have to pay extra for those 843 GBs I've spent just this month.

2 hours ago, Naeaes said:

Copper rots, fiber lasts forever

Copper rots, isps don't give a f*** and we're all stuck here with last decade's speed

Edit: And they don't want to spend any money on even replacing the copper let alone upgrading to fiber.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?