wierd networking things

TubsAlwaysWins

Doing a thing for school, and I need a pfSense box running alongside a linksys WRT1900AC. When I plug the things in as shown in the diagram below it says the Linksys router has wifi, but you can't use it (the white light is on instead of the orange, but speedtest wont run, nor will websites load.) What can I do to fix it? (I NEED both the pfSense and the Linksys running at the same time.) 

Network Setup.PNG

Breaking things 1 day at a time

The issue here is that the line in needs to go modem > router. Plugging it right into the switch, it's going to want an IP address for each device connect to it, which doesn't work unless you have an ISP that has assigned you multiple WAN IPs. 

Do you need both routers to be routing at the same time, or just one of them being used for WiFi. 

20 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

The issue here is that the line in needs to go modem > router. Plugging it right into the switch, it's going to want an IP address for each device connect to it, which doesn't work unless you have an ISP that has assigned you multiple WAN IPs. 

Do you need both routers to be routing at the same time, or just one of them being used for WiFi. 

25 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWIns said:

(I NEED both the pfSense and the Linksys running at the same time.) 

Network Setup.PNG

I'm not entirely sure of your needs are. I use my century link POS router to run wifi1 and then connect a pi via Ethernet to it as use it as wifi2. If you need 2 networks then I think the 8pt switch needs to be managed with vpn support. If you just need the wrt to broadcast wifi and manage traffic then set it as access point mode not router or bridge mode. Another option depending on the speeds and traffic needs is to as wrt to the 24 switch as an access point.

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

I understand what you are trying achieve but the solution depends on what the switch is connected to.

- If the (8 port) switch is then connected to a modem and to a ISP line, you will need two IPs or internet connection from your ISP on the same line.

Or

- If the (8 port) switch which is connected a higher subnet, both the Linksys and the pfsense will need be a singed a IP with static or with DHCP. That is if the pfsense is acting as a router and not a firewall, creating another subnet as well as the Linksys creating another subnet. All the subnet must be different. e.g. 192.168.1.*/24, 192.168.2.*/24, 192.168.3.*/24. (if the pfsense if not acting as a router and as a firewall everything below it will be in the subnet above it.)

btw, i would love to be this kind of thing at school! Im in year 9 in the UK

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

7 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

As far as I know both need to be on at the same time

Breaking things 1 day at a time