PC setup for CGI

Hallo,

My name is Jim and I'm a 3D animtaor, this will be my first post on this forum so hope it will be readable!

To start off: I'm planning to build a new PC, and this wont be the first time I'll put one together, but it will be the first time I'll pick the parts myself!

What do I want from it:

As i said I'm a 3D animator and this is what I'm gonna use the computer for mainly: 3D character animation, 3D simulations, film editting and gaming cause, gaming! :)

I wont render in a GPU based rendere and the programs I want to use on this PC will be things like:
Realflow

Cinema 3D

Arnold

Nuke

etc.

Setup:
So I have 2 setups right now I'm considering, to keep it easy a 32GB ram version and a 64GB ram version:

32BG

2ilo9ir.jpg

64BG

2edmmhi.jpg

As far as I know, these PCs should work and the parts should work together, but as i said its my first time so if something doesnt match let me know n please go easy on me :P

The questions:

Oke so the questions i have are as follow:

• The 64GB PC obviously has more ram, twice as much to be precise. It also has DDR4 memory over DDR3 and 2400 over 1866. Since I'm doing 3D simulations and renders I thoughed it might be usefull to have 64GB over 32, but I'm not sure if it's overkill.. also its DDR4 because of the processor but as far as i know this doesnt make it a lot better. same story for the 2400 over the 1866. My question is do you guys think I need 64GB (also thinking of the "future" :P) or do you think its a waste.
  • the 64GB PC has a 3.3Ghz i7 Processor over a 4.0Ghz i7 (i dont know how to do the overclock/turboboost thing but maybe i should look into it?? I'm not sure what it means). the 3.3Ghz processor has a newer (?) socket then the 4.0Ghz does this mean its a lot slower or because its a newer socket it's about the same? the 3.3 has a 64GB memory limit and the 4.0 a 32GB limit. basicly what i want to know is: is the processor in the 64GB version slower then the 32GB version making the 64GB PC slower then the 32 one.
  • The motherboard in the 64GB version is a 7 serie over a 5 serie because of the socket and the slots for RAM.
  • the 64GB PC will use 700W over the 600W in the 32GB version. basicly making it more expensive in the long run.

The price:

Oke so the 64GB PC is 350,- more expensive, but if this means it will be a better PC and will last me longer then I'm fine with that. however.. if it means the diverance will be minor then i think its a waste. on the other hand if it means upgrading later on will be cheaper then that makes it interesting again. basicly what do you guys think pricewise is it worth it?

Thank you everyone for reading this long ass post :P with like a milion questions from someone who clearly doesnt know everything about computer building just yet.. but if there is some advice you guys have for me please let me know! do you think its a waste of money? please tell me why and what you would change!

If i wasn't clear about something, let me know as well since I will answer any questions asap.

Jim

ow yea on a sidenote.. this PC was put together on Alternate.nl and I also want to buy the parts here. Unless you guys say DON'T!! do it here: ***** these guys are way better/cheaper. (in the end it needs to be send to the netherlands)

To make it easier for us, please use PC partpicker and then put the link into the forum, Google PC part picker and it should come up. The 5820K, in the pc with 64gb of RAM has 6 cores, where as the 4790K only has 4 cores, so for 3D rendering I think you'd be better with the more cores. With a good cooler, the 5820K can be overclocked to the same speeds as the 4790K, so you should definitely look into overclocking. However, I'd also recommend taking a look at the new skylake platform from Intel, which is an update to the Z97 Haswell platform. While these skylake CPUs wont perform better than the 5820K, they are another option and have much more up to date features than the 6700K. 

USe PCPartPicker to make it easier and clearer OK 

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

haha thanks a ton already!
to start I'll make the PC Part picker things :D sorry I didnt know about its existence before

32GB:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4XXTdC

64GB:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Ltmn3C

@dmtben

To make it easier for us, please use PC partpicker and then put the link into the forum, Google PC part picker and it should come up. The 5820K, in the pc with 64gb of RAM has 6 cores, where as the 4790K only has 4 cores, so for 3D rendering I think you'd be better with the more cores.

TBH.. im stupid I didnt even look at the amount of cores.. anyways yea that might be a good reason to go for the 5820K aspacialy if u can overclock it to the same speed.

With a good cooler, the 5820K can be overclocked to the same speeds as the 4790K, so you should definitely look into overclocking.

If u say a good cooler, do you mean the one thats in there aint good? how do I know?

However, I'd also recommend taking a look at the new skylake platform from Intel, which is an update to the Z97 Haswell platform. While these skylake CPUs wont perform better than the 5820K, they are another option and have much more up to date features than the 6700K

tbh I have no idea what ur talking about here :$ But I'll look into it! as far as i get it it means its a newer series right :P

@LawrenceBarnes2013

27 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($351.98 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($88.89 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-SLI ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($133.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($57.78 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($71.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($465.54 @ B&H) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($465.54 @ B&H) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout with Window ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1925.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

ok so lets see: in a nutshel this one compared to my 64GB version is:
Less ram

2 Video cards instead of 1 (a lesser card right but since its 2 its better??)

1000W over 700W what means a lot more power consumption what might add up in the price later one
About the same price as my 64GB version

Since I'm doing a lot of Sims and rendering in a non-GPU based renderer it seems wrong to spend extra money on a better videocard setup? or am i completly wrong here

OK 

-You don't need 64GB of Ram nor do you need 2400MHz since you're gonna be using a dedicated GPU, how much VRam on the graphics card is what will matter when it come to 3D stuff (aside from the GPU horse power of course) 

-Turbo Boost is when your CPU (and GPU) steps it's clock speed higher when it needs to depending on current Performance and thermals

-The LGA 1150 socket and the LGA 2011-3 are not different in speed, that's not the ratio to compare them, it's rather more of a features comparison, the LGA 2011-3 Socket will accept CPUs with more cores, more Ram as well as more PCI-Express lanes, but does not effect the speed of the CPU. Of course a 6Core 5820K will be faster than a 4790K in multi threaded work loads even if it runs at a slower clock speed but the ratio you where using to compare theme is wrong.

-if you where comparing two same chipset Gaming 5 and 7 mobos, i'd say stright away they are pretty much the same thing with the only difference maybe better audio and an extra PCI-E lane on the 7, how ever, the X99 is a far better more advanced chipset than Z97 overall with the X99/X79 and LGA 2011 sockets in general being oriented mostly towards workstation builds

-On the PSU front, don't you ever buy PSUs from manufacturers that aren't that well known, always choose PSUs from Corsair, CM, Seasonic, EVGA and such because skimping on the PSU is dangerous 

-Always when building a PC :

-if it's oriented towards gaming the chunk of your money has to go on the GPU, doesn't mean you should skimp on everything else and end up with bouttlnecks, just that the Graphics card is the most importnat 

-if it's oriented towards WS (content creation, Dolby premier ...) than the chunk of the money has to go on the CPU and Ram with still a beaffy GPU

With that said, here's a slightly more expensive improved build :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  (€393.15 @ Mindfactory) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 50.5 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  (€58.13 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Motherboard: MSI X99A Raider ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  (€209.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: Crucial 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (€114.33 @ Mindfactory) 
Storage: Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€44.13 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€74.52 @ Mindfactory) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  (€434.32 @ Mindfactory) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  (€434.32 @ Mindfactory) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  (€88.75 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 1050W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€177.84 @ Mindfactory) 
Total: €2029.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-29 17:01 CEST+0200

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

18 minutes ago, jhzondervan said:

@LawrenceBarnes2013

ok so lets see: in a nutshel this one compared to my 64GB version is:
Less ram

2 Video cards instead of 1 (a lesser card right but since its 2 its better??)

1000W over 700W what means a lot more power consumption what might add up in the price later one
About the same price as my 64GB version

Since I'm doing a lot of Sims and rendering in a non-GPU based renderer it seems wrong to spend extra money on a better videocard setup? or am i completly wrong here

1-Humm, yeah, an orangutan knows that two Graphics cards are better than one 

2-The PSU you've chosen is Shit even though it's Gold rated 

3-Having a 1500W PSU doesn't mean it's actually pulling 1500W from the wall all the time, it will only use as much as you need

4-What is this non GPU rendering software you're using ??  

Thanks for all the great advice! as i said a lot to learn here ^^

the setup looks great! don't realy understand why a 8GB video card is cheaper that a Nvidea 4GB one? but hey seems great!

a lot to think about :) sorry if i bothered you with my  orangutan  brain :P

anyways in the past 30 mins a friend of me showed me a offer on a 2nd hand computer:

2 year warenty

- 2 x Six Core X5680 3.33 - 3.6 GHz met HT ( 24 threads )
- 64Gb Ram ECC Reg 10600R 1333Mhz. in Triple Channel
- 2TB SATA HardDisk 7200 rpm 
- nVidia Quadro-6000 6GB DDDR5 Dual DVI
- Video uit 2x Display Port, DVI-I
- Gigabit Lan (2x)

(Tried to build it in PC picker but couldnt find half the parts so guess it would ge a "dont do it" or a "I dont know" but hey why not try!)

for 2000,-

would you say for sure a better buy? or no since its a second hand machine don't do it!