Good 1440p gaming pc build under 2000$?

Hello everyone! Names Marcel and I am pretty new to PC and tech in general. I really want to learn all the different parts and what is best. But that's for later. I saved up a bit of money recently (2000$ CAD) and I was wondering if I can get a list of all the parts I can get to build a good PC that runs at 1440p, 60fps, and the max settings. I am a pretty big newb and the only thing that I somewhat know about is graphics cards really. I was thinking GTX 970 or 980 but I don't really know! Also I heard you need good specific monitors so help with that too would be cool thanks!    

9 minutes ago, rainingchaos201 said:

So do you already have the display?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Does the $2000 budget include the OS, monitor and peripherals?

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

So do you already have the display?

No I do not.

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

Does the $2000 budget include the OS, monitor and peripherals?

No it doesn't but I am willing to add more if needed!

4 minutes ago, rainingchaos201 said:

No I do not.

You know you could totally fit in a 4K IPS Free-sync display for that budget, with a Nano, though a 32" or larger 4k display would be better for productivity

investing in your display now is going to be more important than other hardware, the 4k display should last you basically forever. if you don't need the extra screen space for productivity 27" will be fine, especially with free-sync

naturally not all games will run well at 4k, but 1080p will scale well with a 4k display

Still some room for an SSD, higher end board, maybe a nicer case, if you're just gaming the i5 will be fine

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/HVdsRB
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/HVdsRB/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($265.45 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2HP Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($90.66 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($45.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($65.75 @ shopRBC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 Nano 4GB Video Card  ($599.88 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($54.25 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($69.88 @ Canada Computers)
Monitor: LG 27MU67 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($588.88 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $1780.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-28 22:50 EDT-0400

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, rainingchaos201 said:

No it doesn't but I am willing to add more if needed!

Alright, here's my recommendation then:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($324.95 @ shopRBC) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($49.99 @ BestDirect) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($169.98 @ NCIX) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($89.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($117.45 @ Vuugo) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($65.75 @ shopRBC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  ($854.99 @ NCIX) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($98.05 @ Vuugo) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($130.01 @ DirectCanada) 
Total: $1901.16
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-28 22:50 EDT-0400

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Wow thanks guys! But just one more question. Will these builds be quiet or loud?

5 minutes ago, rainingchaos201 said:

Oh and 60fps maxed out? :3

sound is going to depend on your case mostly, and if you have a stock cooler, if you want a silence optimized PC you'd want a more specific build

also nothing right now can run 4k maxxed out, but like I said, 1080p scales well for the games that don't run at 4k.

given your budget and seeing as how you don't already have the display, it's going to be worth spending the extra to get the 4k display most likely.

Spoiler

If you want to know how to waste a lot of money check out my build. (1440p at 144hz, made in 2014)

CPU: i7 4790k Motherboard: Z97 Gryphon Asus MATX RAM 16GB: Kingston Hyper X 1600mhz GPU: NVIDIA - GeForce GTX 970 4GB (2 Way-SLI) Case: Corsair Air 240 Storage:1TB Samsung 840 Evo PSU: Corsair 750w Bronze Display(s): ASUS ROG Swift (2) Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Sound: Sennheiser G4me Zero, Audio Engine A5+ S8 Sub Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate https://pcpartpicker.com/user/negrocaucasian/saved/#view=yb3dnQ

13 minutes ago, Negrocaucasian said:

If you want to know how to waste a lot of money check out my build. (1440p at 144hz, made in 2014)

Damn dude thanks! Oh actually one more question. If I do build a pc that runs at 1440p. Can I use a 1080p monitor or do I have to use 1440p and can my games be run in 1080p with no problems?

6 minutes ago, rainingchaos201 said:

Damn dude thanks! Oh actually one more question. If I do build a pc that runs at 1440p. Can I use a 1080p monitor or do I have to use 1440p and can my games be run in 1080p with no problems?

Yes, monitors can change resolutions and gpus can output different resolutions, it should not be an issue. One thing i do recommend when building a "battle station" is to get the best Monitor, Chair, Headphones (with modmic), Mouse and Keyboard you can reasonably afford. (all these items should last you 5-15 years!). So in my opinion you should get a 1440p, 144hz gysync IPS panel. http://www.amazon.com/Acer-XB270HU-bprz-27-inch-Widescreen/dp/B00UPVXDA8

CPU: i7 4790k Motherboard: Z97 Gryphon Asus MATX RAM 16GB: Kingston Hyper X 1600mhz GPU: NVIDIA - GeForce GTX 970 4GB (2 Way-SLI) Case: Corsair Air 240 Storage:1TB Samsung 840 Evo PSU: Corsair 750w Bronze Display(s): ASUS ROG Swift (2) Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Sound: Sennheiser G4me Zero, Audio Engine A5+ S8 Sub Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate https://pcpartpicker.com/user/negrocaucasian/saved/#view=yb3dnQ

A 1440p build is well within reason for $2000. I'm going to assume that you only want to game and do general stuff like browse th

• Look at a mid range CPU like the i56500 or a 6600k
  • mid range motherboard like a H170 or Z170 depending on whether you get an unlocked chip
  • 8gb of ram should be all you need but if you plan on doing some content creation or somthing like that or if you just really like chrome tabs and leaving applications open consider 16gb
  • Get a decent cooler regardless of whether you overclock. The BeQuiet Pure Rock is a good option. Especially if you overclock or if you want a quiet system, which apparently you do, look at a high end Noctua cooler. The NHD14 is a good pick. If the looks don't appeal to you then take a look at the CoolerMaster MasterAir Maker 8. It will offer similar preformance at a similar price and noise level. 
  • A case is a pretty personal thing but I reckon a mid range quiet oriented chassis would be a good pick. The thing that jumps out is the Corsair 400Q. Grab some fans and you are golden. Grab two Noctua Redux 140mm for the front and a 120mm for the back. Also grab some Noctua noise reducer thingies. 
  • There are heaps of good 1440p monitors out there. I would personally reccomend a cheaper Korean display but I'm no expert on monitors so take that with a grain of salt. 
  • Grab a med-high wattage supply. 750w sounds about good. Maybe look at a 750G from Evga or a RM750 from Corsair for the fanless mode. They will offer enough juice for any single card, single CPU rig out there and will offer room for Sli or crossfire. 
  • Speaking of graphics cards: I reccomend that you take a look at the 970 or the 390. They are pretty much neck and neck in preformance. Maybe the 390 has the edge if you want to go up to 4K due to the massive frame buffer. Don't consider the 980. Its competing with cards that are much better value for money like the 390 and the 980ti. The 380x should be considered if you play more casual, competitive or older games like Dota or CS:GO or you just don't mind turning down the settings a bit. Grab a card with a fanless mode so you can keep a quiet theme. 
  • Grab a classic combo of a SSD and a HDD. If you don't plan on keeping much on your PC then just for for a slightly larger SSD 
  • kinguin has cheap keys for Windows.They have been fine for me. 
  • Peripherals? 

I did a build in PCpartpicker. It is under $2000 not including Windows and peripherals but it does include a monitor: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Jn9fYJ

I'm here to help people and have fun. Feel free to chat! 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

Hyper X Fury Black 16gb (2x8gb) 2133

1 hour ago, rainingchaos201 said:

720p scales with 1440p, 1080p doesn't scale well with 1440p. a 390 or higher is going to run most games perfectly fine at 1440p.

Spoiler