I need a optic fiber Cisco Router

TheMidnightNarwhal

Making a project and I'm looking at getting a Cisco optic fiber router for a subnet project. It needs to be an actual router and it's only job is to route, not the ones you buy as a consumer.

So how does this work? Do you need to put SFP modules in them to? My knowledge is not very vast.

Just now, JaredM54 said:

Why specifically do you need a Cisco router? If you want fiber capabilities then a Pfsense box with fiber expansion cards is all you need. And yes, you use SFP modules. For Cisco gear they go inside expansion modules. If you haven't used Cisco routers before then you might be better off with something else, but if you just want to try something out then that's great. If so, just look around eBay for used stuff. 

Because it's a constrain that we have to use Cisco routers.

Any recommended Cisco routers?

Just now, JaredM54 said:

How many SFP connections do you need? I don't have any specific recommendations, but would say search around eBay.

Well I think I would need 2. One for the ISP going in and another going out into a switch, and then to the classrooms through other switches.

53 minutes ago, JaredM54 said:

Take a look at the Cisco 4000 series: Model comparisons

You can choose one based on what WAN speed you need. Along with that, a SFP network interface module.

Perfect thanks.

Do you know where to buy them from? I can't find 'em anywhere.

3 hours ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

Perfect thanks.

Do you know where to buy them from? I can't find 'em anywhere.

Vendors. You need to be quoted on them, however there is an occasional store that sells Cisco gear, it is rare you see anything not x00, 1x00 or 2x00 series. Ask your it department for the name of their Cisco rep, and email/call them. Also, be prepared to fork out a lot of cash.

If your network is small then just get a SMB switch that supports routing, such as a Cisco SG300 or SG500 series. These have fibre ports and support everything you would need for a modest sized network that includes reasonably advanced requirements.

Having to specifically use a router seems like a very odd constraint since most corporate networks don't use dedicated routers anymore for campus networking or data center networking, layer 3+ switches are used. Routers are used for border gateways in very large complex environments that typically use BGP.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

If your network is small then just get a SMB switch that supports routing, such as a Cisco SG300 or SG500 series. These have fibre ports and support everything you would need for a modest sized network that includes reasonably advanced requirements.

Having to specifically use a router seems like a very odd constraint since most corporate networks don't use dedicated routers anymore for campus networking or data center networking, layer 3+ switches are used. Routers are used for border gateways in very large complex environments that typically use BGP.

10 hours ago, Blake said:

Vendors. You need to be quoted on them, however there is an occasional store that sells Cisco gear, it is rare you see anything not x00, 1x00 or 2x00 series. Ask your it department for the name of their Cisco rep, and email/call them. Also, be prepared to fork out a lot of cash.

It's a school/college project. Nothing will be actually bought. It's all on paper. So that's what the teacher told me.

4 minutes ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

It's a school/college project. Nothing will be actually bought. It's all on paper. So that's what the teacher told me.

I suspected as much :). Seemed like an arbitrary requirement that an assignment would have which has no real basis on how things are actually done.