Asus X99-A power on but no POST

I have been running Asus X99-A since May 2015 (almost a year) problem free.  Last night, I powered down.  Today the machine will not start or enter POST.  There is a red LED over the PWR button and a green LED over the RST button when I switch on the power supply.  Pressing either PWR or RST has no effect on the system.  No other LED lights up when I power up, MemOK button is unresponsive.  I have a ticket in with Asus, but have not heard from them yet.

Basic configuration:

Asus X99-A (defaults, no over-clock)

Intel Core i7-5820K

Ballistix DDR4 UDIMM 32 GB

Windows 8.1 Pro full version

9 minutes ago, MichaelMasiak said:

I have been running Asus X99-A since May 2015 (almost a year) problem free.  Last night, I powered down.  Today the machine will not start or enter POST.  There is a red LED over the PWR button and a green LED over the RST button when I switch on the power supply.  Pressing either PWR or RST has no effect on the system.  No other LED lights up when I power up, MemOK button is unresponsive.  I have a ticket in with Asus, but have not heard from them yet.

Basic configuration:

Asus X99-A (defaults, no over-clock)

Intel Core i7-5820K

Ballistix DDR4 UDIMM 32 GB

Windows 8.1 Pro full version

Welcome to the Forum!

To start off, have you tried checking the connections? Even if you haven't touched them since before this has happened, it doesn't hurt to try. This does seem like a motherboard issue though.

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

I did check connections visually.  But if it were a connection issue, wouldn't the board get into POST and then display an error related to the malfunctioning system?

Currently, the PWR and RST LEDs light up indicating that power is present.  But when I press either of the PWR or RST buttons nothing happens -- literally nothing.

And what happens if you push the pwr button on the motherboard itself?

The pwr button on the motherboard itself is the pwr button to which I was referring.

Asus returned my call.  It turns out that for these kinds of freezes the CMOS battery should be pulled for about 10-15 seconds.  That got my system up and running.