i7 6700K or i5 6600K

filledk
Go to solution Solved by themctipers,
Just now, filledk said:

ehh, im gonna have Water cooling on the CPU

You never mentioned it on your origional post.

4 minutes ago, filledk said:

other specs is
GTX 970

Get a R9 390/290.

hey all

im about to build new computer, and i was gonna take the i5 6600k and a samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD,  but then i realized that i can drop the 850 evo and buy a i7 6700K and use another SSD i just have laying around (samsung 840 evo 240GB - written about 10TB of data on it) for the same amount of money
im gonna mostly gonna use it for gaming, (BF4 CSGO and Overwatch when that comes out) but im also gonna use a little bit for Vitrual machines (nothing big tho) and probetly a verry verry small video edition in Windows Movies Maker

will it be worth buying the i7 6700K and use an old Samsung 840 evo, or should i take the i5 6600K and get a new 850 evo ?
what will be most "future proff" (even i know that aint something like future proff)
what would you guys do if it was you?

edit:
other specs is
GTX 970
16GB DDR4 RAM
650w gold PSU
MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING  (mobo)

If you DROP the evo then you have to use the stock heatsink therefor extremely bottlenecking your overclocking abilities.

Get the i5 6600k if your main purpose of the machine is to game.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Go for the i5.

Your main focus is in gaming, where an i7 won't make a massive difference. 

Although, even if I went with the i5, you have a working SSD, I would use that until it slows down. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

If you DROP the evo then you have to use the stock heatsink therefor extremely bottlenecking your overclocking abilities.

Get the i5 6600k if your main purpose of the machine is to game.

Just now, filledk said:

4 minutes ago, filledk said:

other specs is
GTX 970

Get a R9 390/290.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

5 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Get a R9 390/290.

Since he will save up by not getting the i7 and by not getting a new SSD, he can afford something better like a R9 390X or a 980.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

The difference between the 850 and 840 isn't much so just keep it. You wouldn't benefit from the i7 however down the road you could want to get into something that may use more threads and regret it also games are starting to make use of more cores/threads too which could extend the time you have before you need to get another upgrade if you get the i7. So do would you benefit from it right now? No but still consider it.

7 minutes ago, X1XNobleX1X said:

Go for the i5.

Your main focus is in gaming, where an i7 won't make a massive difference. 

Although, even if I went with the i5, you have a working SSD, I would use that until it slows down. 

this was excatly my thought.
and no im not gonna go with AMD, (in form of 390) im not that into AMD, i know what Nvidia is, and im gonna go with Nvidia (call me fanboy if you will)

1 minute ago, filledk said:

and no im not gonna go with AMD, (in form of 390) im not that into AMD, i know what Nvidia is, and im gonna go with Nvidia (call me fanboy if you will)

Good choice :).

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

5 minutes ago, filledk said:

I like nvidia too :D I have yet to have a good experience with an AMD card.

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

Don't get a i7 unless you need the following

• Bragging Rights
  • Video Rendering... Maybe...
  • Virtual Machines

Get a i5... Because your just gaming

oh and don't get a new SSD (Unless its dead) spend that cash on some yummy GPU's

Wow this was old as heck, Need to update this signature!

2 minutes ago, Marshall212 said:

Don't get a i7 unless you need the following

• Bragging Rights
  • Video Rendering... Maybe...
  • Virtual Machines

Get a i5... Because your just gaming

oh and don't get a new SSD (Unless its dead) spend that cash on some yummy GPU's

but with the i7 will it not be a little more future proff?

Just now, filledk said:

but with the i7 will it not be a little more future proff?

Not really but a i5 should last at least 5 years. And you can save and get a new Intel Cannonlake when they come out.

belive or not, the 980 is almost like 1000USD alone here in denmark (5000DKK)

On 3/28/2016 at 7:58 AM, Marshall212 said:

Not really but a i5 should last at least 5 years. And you can save and get a new Intel Cannonlake when they come out.

what is the difference between CannonLake and KabyLake ?

On 30/03/2016 at 4:42 AM, filledk said:

what is the difference between CannonLake and KabyLake ?

Sorry for being a while.

The difference is that they are 2 different groups of processors. Like how Skylake is different to Broadewell-E and Haswell. I cant really explain more on that though.