How can I improve my internet speed?

Wasard
Just now, papapoi said:

unlimited broadband just means you can access unlimited data with no overage charge(as in gigabytes, terabytes, etc), its doesnt apply to the speed, though if you are getting that kind of speed i wouldnt call that "broadband"

I know what it means, I was just quoting them.

1 minute ago, mcfly said:

key words are up to. Meaning the company can give you anything less. You might be better off switching providers or upgrading your plan in this case. There's no setting changes you can make to your networking setup to improve this speed.

But how would changing isp improve my speed?

1 minute ago, Roawoao said:

Well if you look at that graph I linked in they are talking about people <3km getting ~17mbps.

I know that. You asked what speeds I was getting.

2 minutes ago, Wasard said:

The site said up to 17mb. But I don't have even a fraction of that.

have you called them to ask why you are paying for up to 17mb but getting less than 1? is it an antenna based system? 

if i post a link to amazon try to use the LTT affiliate code to help the channel http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=linustechtips-20

I was asking what your plans speed is advertising because sometimes there are lower plans that you could use but from the looks of BT site they don't offer that.

Changing ISP to a 4G cell based one could greatly improve your speeds also there is much more you can do to improve your speed with your own hardware while ADSL you just have to live with what you get out the end of that telephone line.

1 minute ago, papapoi said:

have you called them to ask why you are paying for up to 17mb but getting less than 1? is it an antenna based system? 

It is an ADSL system and it follows the expected drop off as a function of distance to exchange. Telephone wires are terrible basically.

3 minutes ago, Wasard said:

Changing your isp would improve your speeds because they are the ones who set the speeds in the first place. If you change providers, they will most likely set a different speed. That up to 17mb/s is the "speed limit" your current provider has set for your data.

1 minute ago, mcfly said:

Changing your isp would improve your speeds because they are the ones who set the speeds in the first place. If you change providers, they will most likely set a different speed. That up to 17mb/s is the "speed limit" your current provider has set for your data.

But theres still the massive drop-off because I'm so far from the exchange right? How much would it actually improve?

5 minutes ago, mcfly said:

The speed is way below the advertised speed limit it is more a matter of physics than artificial limits. Change ISPs to one that uses a different media (4G wireless).

1 minute ago, Wasard said:

But theres still the massive drop-off because I'm so far from the exchange right? How much would it actually improve?

It would not improve at all if you use the same wire your reported speeds are way below the 17mbps you are currently subscribed to.

4 minutes ago, Roawoao said:

It is an ADSL system and it follows the expected drop off as a function of distance to exchange. Telephone wires are terrible basically.

eww , ok , there must be some other provider that can provide better speeds though, like even a 4g modem type that uses the cell towers

if i post a link to amazon try to use the LTT affiliate code to help the channel http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=linustechtips-20

2 minutes ago, Roawoao said:

Change ISPs to one that uses a different media (4G wireless).

Where can I check availability for this?

3 minutes ago, papapoi said:

eww , ok , there must be some other provider that can provide better speeds though, like even a 4g modem type that uses the cell towers

Yes basically if you have no Cable service then 4G wireless is all you can use alternatively if there is coverage (topography and how remote your house is will determine that). Sat internet also is a possibility but the latency is killer. But be aware for 4G service to get ideal signal you may need a roof mounted antenna to point to the nearest tower and possibly maybe even an amplifier. If the home is on a hill that is very good for signal reception, if it is in a deep valley not good.

If your close to the 4G tower an indoor antenna would work. It depends really. You can start with a modem with external antenna connections and see how good the signal is indoors and move it around to find the best location inside a house. If there is no good indoor location then you may need an external outdoor antenna and amplifier. You can probably get very decent speeds ~20-40mbps.

3 minutes ago, Wasard said:

That might play a factor too. However, because it states "up to" 17mb/s, they can still get away with only giving you 1mb/s. Im sure this would improve if you were to move closer but there's no obligation for the company to give you any more than they are giving you right now.

1 minute ago, Roawoao said:

The speed is way below the advertised speed limit it is more a matter of physics than artificial limits. Change ISPs to one that uses a different media (4G wireless).

It would not improve at all if you use the same wire your reported speeds are way below the 17mbps you are currently subscribed to.

The advertised speed is "up to" 17mbs. Much like how comcast states their speeds are "up to" 100mbs, but in reality the most you'll get out is 25-30 mbs. 

4 minutes ago, Wasard said:

Where can I check availability for this?

I listed back on the first page under UK cell coverage maps.

26 minutes ago, Roawoao said:

Remember you want to filter to 4G coverage as this is what you want for good broadband. Although good modern 3G will probably be better than your ADSL connection even.

dont know how up to date this is but you could start looking at this page also for different providers and see if there offer a 4g broadband data only plan

https://www.cable.co.uk/guides/who-is-the-best-4g-provider/ 

4 minutes ago, Roawoao said:

Yes basically if you have no Cable service then 4G wireless is all you can use alternatively if there is coverage (topography and how remote your house is will determine that). Sat internet also is a possibility but the latency is killer. But be aware for 4G service to get ideal signal you may need a roof mounted antenna to point to the nearest tower and possibly maybe even an amplifier. If the home is on a hill that is very good for signal reception, if it is in a deep valley not good.

If your close to the 4G tower an indoor antenna would work. It depends really. You can start with a modem with external antenna connections and see how good the signal is indoors and move it around to find the best location inside a house. If there is no good indoor location then you may need an external outdoor antenna and amplifier. You can probably get very decent speeds ~20-40mbps.

Would 4g be okay for online gaming? If I get high ping then this is not an option.

Would 4g be okay for online gaming? If I get high ping then this is not an option.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/568000/EE-Vodafone-O2-Three-Compared-in-Ofcom-Study-Reveals-4G-fastest

Comparable latency to your ADSL. 48ms to 60ms. Note that as this is a wireless technology it can vary if there is say a disaster and the network saturates you may get increased latency or loss of service due to congestion. But generally it should be good.

2 minutes ago, papapoi said:

The only problem with satellite internet is most use GEO orbits which have a latency of about 500ms. That is going to be easily perceptible lag.

13 minutes ago, Roawoao said:

I listed back on the first page under UK cell coverage maps.

Remember you want to filter to 4G coverage as this is what you want for good broadband. Although good modern 3G will probably be better than your ADSL connection even.

I lookedon all the sites you linked and I'm only getting an outdoor connection where I live. What does this mean?

6 minutes ago, Wasard said:

I lookedon all the sites you linked and I'm only getting an outdoor connection where I live. What does this mean?

It means you will need to install an external outdoor antenna and possibly even a 4G cellphone amplifier to get a good strong signal. You can test with any cellphone to see if you get 4G signal if you have the correct plan (indoor speed vs. outdoor speeds). A stationary modem will be slightly better and an external antenna with booster will be extremely good.

Try running a speed test on your cellphone if you have data and see if your connected via 4G (check your cell/data plan for that). Note that cellphone plans will likely be more expensive and you probably will have a datacap.

Having the modem indoor near a window facing the right direction is also technically "outside" as glass is basically transparent to radio waves while your walls absorb quite a bit.

Compared to ADSL you have tons of options in getting a better signal via cell service. As long as your within a 4G coverage area you have a chance. Even good 3G service will be better than your ADSL. Just make sure it isn't 2G coverage as that will be too slow. (Filter those maps to the 4G or look at the color legends)