Wireless Adapter - PCIe or USB

SpegMachina

So I have plans to upgrade to Skylake (6600K) here soon and also plan to add a second 980. I was just looking for some clarification in regards to PCIe lanes and SLI when it came to PCIe wifi adapters.

I currently have a TP-Link TL-WDN4800 which is a 1x card with one GTX 980 and an FX-6300 (yes, a bottleneck, I Know).

Would it be best to go USB since using SLI would take up all 16 lanes for an 8x SLI config? I guess I would be answering my own question when I say that I plan to have my PC wired in, but just for sake of going wireless for whatever reason.

And what would my GPUs run at if I did keep my 1x card? Would this impact performance at all? And any more clarification and understanding on PCIe lanes would be much appreciated! :)

It's usually better to upgrade rather than SLI due to compatibility issues with games and such. Might I suggest a 390x or 980ti?

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

Just now, Howlingwolf101 said:

It's usually better to upgrade rather than SLI due to compatibility issues with games and such. Might I suggest a 390x or 980ti?

I would, but I just built my system in December, and really love the look of SLI

It would probably be better to use teh PCIe ports if you're going to go SLI, this way you can use a bridge and connect them both together

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

well performance between PCIe and USB also depends on your internet connection and quality of product 

do you need wireless? or is it a possibility to run a solid internet connection?

1 minute ago, bindydad123 said:

well performance between PCIe and USB also depends on your internet connection and quality of product 

I'm curious how internet factors into this. Isn't it all locally connected?

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, bindydad123 said:

i said i would be running wired, but want to have a wireless adapter just to have one.

PCIe, in my experience it is much more reliable as it tends to have more of an immediate connection with the motherboard and processor and won't be affected by a dead USB port like a dongle would