I wanna limit my wi-fi speed

bluefire908

Hey all,recently i got a bunch of asses living with me for the holidays and every1 seems to be hogging my internet which is like 8mbps,im using the netgear d1500 modem,i have a wired connection running to my pc,what i want to do is allocate 1 mbps to every1 using the internet wireless(wi-fi) and allocate 7mbps to my pc alone(i.e wired alone),is there any software i can use to do this?i dont seem to have any bandwidth limiting options on my router,need a solution asap,its really annoying when ur internet is getting fucked when im paying dota 2.

Can you change the wifi settings to wireless G? and/or can you possibly reduce the power of the antennas?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, InVis said:

That can not be done with your equipment.

is there a software i can use then?

2 minutes ago, ideamaneric said:

That would impede his performance. I get it, his computer is wired, but what about his other devices? In the long term (or in this case, in the short term), this is not a good solution. I searched up your router and indeed, it does not support QoS.

However, you can buy a cheap, knock-off router (buy a Xiaomi - it's cheap, it's unreliable, and it'll annoy your visitors so much that they will stop using the internet and won't break your gaming sessions! just kidding lol that's not my point), make everybody switch to it by changing your main router's password, and then buy a cheap reboot power plug. Plug the reboot-plug into the wall, plug the Xiaomi router into the reboot-plug, and set it to reboot every three minutes.

This is a stupid solution - you must get a new router in the long term.

this

2 hours ago, bluefire908 said:

what i want to do is allocate 1 mbps to every1 using the internet wireless(wi-fi) and allocate 7mbps to my pc alone(i.e wired alone)

I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not but this can be done with some pieces of hardware. It's just not a feature in most consumer grade routers and access points.

I know Ubiquit's access points have it as a feature because I have one. You can set groups with different restrictions and assign them either manually or based on how they connect. You can also do things like monitor which devices are using more data and then just limit the bandwidth hogs. Or block them entirely if you want. You can also do things like have a second SSID which has a different set of restrictions or put different restrictions on different bands. Whatever you want really. I assume this is a feature available on most enterprise grade access points but Ubiquiti's are generally the cheapest and most readily available.

Though if you do go down that route don't let the power go to your head. If you have an 8Mbps connection and your issue is games having a high ping? Limiting them to 1Mbps is probably overkill. Games don't use a lot of bandwidth. Instead I'd limit them to 5-7Mbps or so and then not limit your connection at all. That way you always have that last bit of bandwidth and they probably won't even notice.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

7 hours ago, ideamaneric said:

Don't take me too seriously. Your visitors will quickly get annoyed and you might not want that.

Buy a good, main router - saves you money in the long run.

I recommend the Archer series from TP-Link if you're also looking to boost your internet speed. TP-Link is good, just not super solid. FYI, I use an Archer C2 at home and it runs great.

thing is i jst bought my netgear router,so i dnt wanna go out and get ANOTHER modem that allows me to restrict access 

5 hours ago, bluefire908 said:

thing is i jst bought my netgear router,so i dnt wanna go out and get ANOTHER modem that allows me to restrict access 

You're going to have to buy new gear in order to do this. There are ways to do things like monitor their usage if you go and install software on their machines. But that's only an option if they're all using PCs and you'd have to get them to physically allow you to use their machine. Seriously, get new gear if you are serious about this.

3 hours ago, ideamaneric said:

I'm sure there's other options, but for now what I said on top to get a good, firm main router still stands as one of the best choices out there.

Does this router you're talking about actually have bandwidth shaping for particular users? Because I had a look at the manual online and I can't see it. From what I can tell your theory here is that if you have two access points and have the second one be a "worse" access point that'll solve the issue. The problem is that OP only has an 8Mbps connection. It won't really matter how crap the router is, they should still be able to use all of that bandwidth. 8Mbps isn't going to push any router even a cheap one. You'd have to drop them to wireless g in order to even come close to limiting them to <8Mbps.

As I said earlier I have a Ubiquiti AP, there is an option in the settings to create user groups. You can assign those groups to specific devices or just across the board if you want. What sort of restrictions can you apply? Well here's a screenshot of a section that I thought was quite interesting.....

Ubiquiti.png

edit: I just ran a test on this feature and it does work. I was able to limit the speed of my WiFi devices to 0.5Mbps while everything else still ran at full speed. For the sake of other users stumbling across this thread I suggest that @bluefire908 changes the best answer to mine. Because the current best answer is NOT a solution.

@ideamaneric

This access point has user groups including traffic management. You can either assign user groups manually, by SSID or a combination of the two. I know it has these features because I have one and just verified that it works pretty well indeed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015PR20GY/

Now you could create some complicated system where the router reboots. Literally make the network so unusable that they just give up. Or you could not be an asshole and instead just throttle their connection slightly so there's a bit of headroom. If the idea is to do it properly? Then that's how you'd go about it. That way you can manage the traffic without making the network literally unusable for your guests.

@ideamaneric

Your "solution" also requires the purchasing of new gear and was posted *before* @bluefire908 went on about how they don't want to buy anymore gear. My answer was also posted before this. I'm just saying that your answer shouldn't be the one marked as a solution because it is not a solution. There is a way to do this and it requires buying gear just as your solution does. The difference is that what I'm suggesting would actually do what OP asked. Yours would be only as effective as not telling your guests your WiFi password....