Mayonnaise as thermal paste?

Croxalicious

First post here and I'm not sure if this belongs here but...

One of my friends were looking around at a guide for replacing his failing fan on his laptop and he came across this guild that said that mayo works as a good temporary thermal paste.

I obviously thought they'd gone completely insane but then he linked me the page that the guide had and I couldn't believe my mind.

I'm not dumb enough to slather mayo on my CPU but has anyone heard of this before?

Here's that link if anyone wants to lose all hope. Does Mayonnaise Last as a Thermal Compound?

I've heard you can also power-wash your computer to clean it good. Seriously, no. 

PS. How much does it cost for a thermal paste vs the total worth of your CPU? Is it worth gambling cause some webpage says so? 

PPS. 4chan ftw!

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

you can use any number of dumbass things as thermal paste, but being that paste is what...5 6 dollars why would you even risk it, not to mention deal with the inevitable smell.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Yes it works, but it's not practical. I believe mayo conducts electricity as well, so you have to be careful when applying.It also doesn't work quite as well as normal thermal paste,but not much worse. This solution is meant to be a last ditch effort if you have ran out of thermal paste, and need that PC to be running as soon as possible. The whole point of thermal paste is just to minimise the micro gaps between the processor and the heatsink and mayo seems to be the right texture to do so. You can also use toothpaste.

Headphones:

Spoiler

Sony MDR V6 (DT 250 pads), restored 1987 AKG K240M 600ohm (Cosmos pads with dt250 filters), AKG K7XX, Beyerdynamic DT990 pro 250 ohm, Bose Ae2 & Sony MDR v150. All off of a Bravo V2 shuguang tube, Little Dot mkII with GE JAN 5654 tubes, a CEntrance Dacport slim and a UCA222.

PC:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    i7 6700k
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z170s
  • RAM
    Crucial Ballistix (white)
  • GPU
    Asus 1070 Strix OC
  • Case
    Phanteks P400
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 pro, Seagate barracuda 1tb
  • PSU
    Evga G1 650W (regret)
  • Display(s)
    Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1920x1080 60hz 5ms & ASUS PB277Q 27" 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Deepcool Captain 240EX white
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G810
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 (switching to linux soon)

Think about it makes me cringe already

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

I wouldn't do it on a Laptop because laptop cooling is subpar already and you'll run a high risk of damaging your hardware. If you can bear the wait it's better to just not use it until you can get new compound.

If the need is dire, a nearby steren sells crappy silicon-based thermal paste that is better than nothing and won't corrode your heatsink like other materials might.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

6 minutes ago, Lethal Seraph said:

I've heard you can also power-wash your computer to clean it good. Seriously, no. 

PS. How much does it cost for a thermal paste vs the total worth of your CPU? Is it worth gambling cause some webpage says so? 

PPS. 4chan ftw!

Well whoever said that you can powerwash computer parts must have been insane.

Like I said in the post above, this is meant to be a last ditch effort if you have no more thermal paste and need that PC up and running ASAP. Its also not like if anything goes wrong he can't just immidiatly pull the plug. When applying new thermal compound, you should be watching your temps anyway.You're also not just gunna instantly melt a cpu. I have ran Pentiums for short periods of time with no heatsink on at all, so sketchy thermal compound for a temporary solution doesn't scare me at all.

Headphones:

Spoiler

Sony MDR V6 (DT 250 pads), restored 1987 AKG K240M 600ohm (Cosmos pads with dt250 filters), AKG K7XX, Beyerdynamic DT990 pro 250 ohm, Bose Ae2 & Sony MDR v150. All off of a Bravo V2 shuguang tube, Little Dot mkII with GE JAN 5654 tubes, a CEntrance Dacport slim and a UCA222.

PC:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    i7 6700k
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z170s
  • RAM
    Crucial Ballistix (white)
  • GPU
    Asus 1070 Strix OC
  • Case
    Phanteks P400
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 pro, Seagate barracuda 1tb
  • PSU
    Evga G1 650W (regret)
  • Display(s)
    Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1920x1080 60hz 5ms & ASUS PB277Q 27" 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Deepcool Captain 240EX white
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G810
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 (switching to linux soon)

sounds like a "workshop" episode to me.  

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

You can find a picture of the effects of 24/7 Operation with Mayonnaise as a thermal compound after 12 days over at http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/does-mayonnaise-last-as-a-thermal-compound/3/

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Mayo expands on heating and you don't want mayo on your motherboard circuit so NO.!

Hardcore Hardware Whore | Check out my Blog for for Latest Tech News and more | Cricket Fan | Weapons Nut | 

well... from their tests.. it did pass their test of "functionality", but you should REALLY be worried about what that oxidation does, as well as a very likely "rotting" process of the mayo.

mayo is mosty oil (which my guess would be the good part) and egg (which i think we all agree isnt a long term solution for anything, as they may be one of the fastest spoiling foods out there)

even if it lasts for 12 hours, look at the damage it did in those 12 hours, and imagine what it'd do once the mayo shelf life is passed, and it's been "baking" at 60°c for weeks or even months.

Did you read that article full and through? No, its not new thing to post. Its one of those which pop time to time.

Yes, there are things that work as temp pastes. Toothpaste and mayo being notable ones. Should you use those? Not really. They go bad really quick, like in few days. And they corrode hardware and are pain to clean. So should one use them to expensive hardware or sensitive hardware (like laptops), NO.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Tech YES City did a Youtube video on using fried chicken grease, mayo, ketchup and Vegemite as thermal pastes. They actually worked--for the duration of the short test. That might be what your friend saw. It's a neat parlor trick, but if you ever find yourself in the position of having to choose between mayo and waiting a couple of days for actual thermal paste to arrive from Newmazon, I certainly hope you'd make the smart decision rather than the convenient one.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Toothpaste works better, doesn't stink, isn't as oily and easier to apply. 

I need S340. But more Define S'ish