my first "epic" pc build

slothpc

I am putting together a buy list, i have build pcs before, but never one this expensive, my main usage will be mutiple monitors(as many 4k displays as i can push), video editing, and media playback. With some light gaming for the kid's, as they arent going to sit around that many screens and not play...

I have settled on these Parts so far, but the build is far from finished. So i welcome any advice or thoughts.

CASE

Thermaltake LEVEL 10 GT Super Gaming Modular Full Tower Snow Edition (this is a beast)

MOBO

ASUS Sabertooth X99 (luv the tuff)

CPU

Intel Core i7-5960X Haswell-E 8-Core 3.0GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W Desktop Processor (I belive this to be the current top of the line chip for this mobo, am i correct?)

RAM

64GB 8SLOTS DDR4 (have not yet picked a brand, any recommendation?)

HARD DRIVES

5x Seagate 3TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drives (15gb of storage, should hold all my data lol)

SSD

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (for the os)

DISPLAYS

Hisense 50H7GB2 50-Inch 4K Smart LED TV (2015 Model) (i want to feel like elvis, I want to run a lot of these but am not sure how to best achive it) which brings me to the 

VIDEOCARDS x2-3

Still haven't picked out video cards but i have been looking at the titan z, i have never operated multiple cards though so i am sure to be overlooking details. 

Everything else like fans, coolers, i/o devices etc, i think im good on.

TLDR: i need 4k gpu and ram recommendations for x99 :)

Thanks in advance.

Can you say overkill? Hey, I'll take some of that money. xD

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

1 minute ago, slothpc said:

VIDEOCARDS x2-3

Still haven't picked out video cards but i have been looking at the titan z, i have never operated multiple cards though so i am sure to be overlooking details. 

DON'T use a last gen card, especially not a TITAN Z, as the TITAN X will be a better performer for a lower price. Also the TITAN Z is an SLI card, and is super hard to find. Maybe like 2 980Tis if you want really good performance, or even 2 TITAN Xs is what I would recommend, as that board won't do 3 way SLI. Also make sure to run all your displays off the top card if possible.

If you really want to feel like a king, use a 4k projector instead. 

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

If you are going to spend a lot of money, why not get a really good case? like the In Win S

EDIT: or any In Win case, they have really good cases

This board wont do 3way sli? I was under the impression it would. Why is it listed as having x16 x16 x8 if it wont run 3way?

Thanks

2 hours ago, slothpc said:

This board wont do 3way sli? I was under the impression it would. Why is it listed as having x16 x16 x8 if it wont run 3way?

Thanks

It will

TUF Detective
Dust de-Fan
USB 3.1
3 WAY/Quad-GPU SLI & CrossFireX Support
TUF Fortifier
TUF 10K Ti-Caps
TUF MOSFETs
TUF Chokes
Quad ch. DDR4 support
Intel LGA2011-v3 Socket
Intel X99 Chipset
SATA Express Support
M.2 Socket 3
TUF ICe
USB 2.0
LAN
Audio Jacks
TUF Detective
USB 3.1
USB 3.0
Optical output
overview.png

I not sure whats considered a good case, but this one has locking drive bays. Which i require.

Cool, thanks. And good tip on the titatan cards regardless what the board will do. As i thought titan z was more current than titan x, in fact i thought z, was the current top of the line card.

Cool, thanks. And good tip on the titatan cards regardless what the board will do. As i thought titan z was more current than titan x, in fact i thought z, was the current top of the line card.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you going to do with this PC?

2 minutes ago, FAQBytes said:

If you don't mind me asking, what are you going to do with this PC?

4k Video editing, light gaming, and a desire to watch multiple tv shows at the same time. I might make a whole wall a monitor wall if i can push enough monitors. I really dont know what will be possible yet.

4k Video editing, light gaming, and a desire to watch multiple tv shows at the same time. I might make a whole wall a monitor wall if i can push enough monitors. I really dont know what will be possible yet.

Like I said, a 4k projector will probably be better suited for that need, and 3 Titan X's seem overkill as rendering and stuff is primarily CPU bound.

How would 1 projector work?

I want multiple screens so i can put different source on each one.

Like maybe Netflix on one, pc gaming on 2, 2 ps4 games running, and a anime on another screen etc.

I think it would be very hard to do that on 1 projector screen.

The desire for 3 cards is mostly a desire to have more monitor ports?

How would 1 projector work?

I want multiple screens so i can put different source on each one.

Like maybe Netflix on one, pc gaming on 2, 2 ps4 games running, and a anime on another screen etc.

I think it would be very hard to do that on 1 projector screen.

Oh, I misinterpreted what you meant by wall. I thought you meant several screens to make one image.

No sir, like elvis. He had like 42 tvs all playing different channels ;)

You can also buy DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 splitters to get several outputs at 4k60 at much cheaper prices than more GPUs, but price doesn't seem to be an issue.

;)

1 hour ago, FAQBytes said:

You can also buy DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 splitters to get several outputs at 4k60 at much cheaper prices than more GPUs, but price doesn't seem to be an issue.

Price is always an issue. However i am trying to not consider it this round. That said inwas unaware of the splitters and if they do not lose much performance splitting..i most certainly will use this tech somehow. So thank you.