GPU Virtualization

Hello all!

I have initially asked about a cut down version of 7 Games 1 CPU Build here. But I want to cut down cost more. It was not more like a gaming machine but rather a machine with multiple users as one can do with thin clients with a little gaming in mind like CS1.6, Age Of Empires, NFS:MW (2005). Then I got the idea that all the games dont require like a whole lot of GPU performance.

So now my question is, if I have like 2 GPUs in SLI or crossfire on a Xeon Work Station like DELL T5400, would I be able to use Intel VT for this. Also if your are going to suggest GPUs, keep in mind this is an extreme budget build which is not to exceed 200USD. GPU I have in mind is 8500GT (512MB/128-bit), because i had used it and it was good for most games I played that were not CPU bottle-necked (P4 HT 3.0GHz). Details of the build are below.

All in all, this will be more like a ThinClient RDP Server. Please advice on GPUs and possibilities of the above stuff.

Regards

200 us dollars is way to tight for a sli build you either need to wait or get a good gpu now and sli later. I do not recommend you try to build a machine 2 people can use with this low a budget. if you can bump it up to 400 or 500 usd then you will be able to get good preformance because your intel xeon that you will probably be using will not be very good for running 2 systems because each system will get 1-2 cores.

On 3/23/2016 at 7:38 PM, Gc12301 said:

200 us dollars is way to tight for a sli build you either need to wait or get a good gpu now and sli later. I do not recommend you try to build a machine 2 people can use with this low a budget. if you can bump it up to 400 or 500 usd then you will be able to get good preformance because your intel xeon that you will probably be using will not be very good for running 2 systems because each system will get 1-2 cores.

It is not that heavy of a machine requirement. Also I am not doing intense gaming. It is supposed to be for a non-profit institute so budget is really tight. I don't need decent COD gaming I need minimum gaming. The PCs are supposed to be for computer classes, so it wont be running CPU hungry software nor GPU hungry software. There are GFX cards that have SLI and are really cheap as they are old be good enough. This is rather an extreme budget build so used GPUs are the only option and I can get them dirt cheap. All I need is to figure out that if it is possible to share 2 GPUs in SLI or Not in SLI to 6 vPCs. Not dedicated though.

I may have not completely explained in my question these items so yeah... my bad. Thanks for the input!

BTW: I am able to make a 6 vPC with dedicated GFX in around less then 300USD so that is possible, check the thread in my question.

EDIT: When read it back after a day, it seems like this message is rude. Sorry for that not my intention. Its kindo of the way I describe stuff on posts. Sorry if it feels rude, but it isn't. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

*Bump*

Anyone with gfx virtualization knowledge?