Similar to 2 Gamers 1 PC Build

Hello

I am head of an IT Departement of a Non-Profit Library that caries out various classes and occational gaming tournaments. After seeing the Videos of "2 Gamers 1 PC" and "7 Gamers 1 PC", I want to do that. The Library is not so high on cash so I cant follow stuff as is. The budget I am provided for the PCs is around 200 USD. We have 6 PCs and they are not so good with errors poping out of no where and disturbing the working environment.

I want to apply your setup within the above stated amount. Just the PC no LCDs and stuff.

I am thinking of

• an Octacore/Hexacore for six users - or 5 dual cores (w/ HT) for 10 users <-- This even worth it?
  • 16GB DDR3 - 2GB for each user?
  • 256MB Video Cards are enough for our uses.
  • No SSDs simple HDDs are good enough

USES OF PCs:

• MS Office - Classes
  • Web Development - Classes
  • Game Development - Classes - not so heavy stuff
  • Hardware Development - Arduino and Stuff - Classes
  • Occational Gaming tournaments like CS1.6; NFS Most Wanted 2005; AoE

Can anyone guid me if this is possible?

Regards

EDIT: Added Uses of PCs

Edited by ssm14293

Sounds like it would be possible. And guys, before everyone bashes him for trying to do the 7 gamers 1 cpu build on a $200 budget(cuz I know someone will), please keep in mind this guy is just talking about library computers. All they really gotta do is be able to browse the internet and search through their database I assume.

edit: Just fyi though, game tournaments(unless you mean chess or something) is not gonna happen on this build. If they really wanna host game tournaments you need to tell them that $200 just isn't anywhere near enough to do wht they want to do.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Hello

I am head of an IT Departement of a Non-Profit Library that caries out various classes and occational gaming tournaments. After seeing the Videos of "2 Gamers 1 PC" and "7 Gamers 1 PC", I want to do that. The Library is not so high on cash so I cant follow stuff as is. The budget I am provided for the PCs is around 200 USD. We have 6 PCs and they are not so good with errors poping out of no where and disturbing the working environment.

I want to apply your setup within the above stated amount. Just the PC no LCDs and stuff.

I am thinking of

• an Octacore/Hexacore for six users - or 5 dual cores (w/ HT) for 10 users <-- This even worth it?

Regards

Go scrapyard wars style. Might be your best bet. Have the monitors working off of gpus and igpus if so. Try looking into like a 6300 or something.

Sounds like it would be possible. And guys, before everyone bashes him for trying to do the 7 gamers 1 cpu build on a $200 budget(cuz I know someone will), please keep in mind this guy is just talking about library computers. All they really gotta do is be able to browse the internet and search through their database I assume.

edit: Just fyi though, game tournaments(unless you mean chess or something) is not gonna happen on this build. If they really wanna host game tournaments you need to tell them that $200 just isn't anywhere near enough to do wht they want to do.

Most people play CS1.6 and Age of Empires and Need For Speed MW 2005 on LAN. So I think that would not be a problem.

Go scrapyard wars style. Might be your best bet. Have the monitors working off of gpus and igpus if so. Try looking into like a 6300 or something.

Honestly, he could even go last gen with this. If its just library computers there's no reason it cant run off an older motherboard/cpu with DDR2 ram.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Um... what are iGPUs? TBH heard it the first time.

EDIT: Integrated GPUs. Should have googled before -.-

6 cores for 6 machines.

Still running single core VM's.

Plus one is shared with Unraid's OS/services right? If not it's 5 machines with 6 cores, 1 each plus Unraid's.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Um... what are iGPUs? TBH heard it the first time.

It is the graphics card integrated into the CPU. I is for integrated

Hello

I am thinking of

USES OF PCs:

• MS Office - Classes

Regards

Um...i don't think you can use 5 CPU on one mobo

6 cores for 6 machines.

Still running single core VM's.

Plus one is shared with Unraid's OS/services right? If not it's 5 machines with 6 cores, 1 each plus Unraid's.

Thats a good point. Heres an idea. Why not take after Linus's 8 core xeon gaming rig. Just get an older server motherboard and two quad-core xeons. As xeons they might run at lower clock speeds, but again, as library computers that matters very little.

Um...i don't think you can use 5 CPU on one mobo

I've seen 4 before

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Thats a good point. Heres an idea. Why not take after Linus's 8 core xeon gaming rig. Just get an older server motherboard and two quad-core xeons. As xeons they might run at lower clock speeds, but again, as library computers that matters very little.

I've seen 4 before

Thats ideal, I thought I should just point it out though, that yeah,.. with a 6 core for 6 machines, their still underpowered.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Hello

I am thinking of

USES OF PCs:

• MS Office - Classes

Regards

I am sure you will not be able to make a 6 user PC off 200(USD I assume). If it was $200 a user that would be more realistic(90-100 if you go with used). A 6 or 8 core CPU will cost you maybe 250 new(AMD). If you go to the Linus 150 8 core ultra cheap build you could try that. If you give me the specs of the old PCs you have I will see if you may be able to reuse something 

I've seen 4 before

Um..a 4 CPU mobo will cost him a fortune(according to his budget) even used, unless you find a VERY good deal.

Got that. Thanks.

5 dual cores meant 5 different PCs with Dual Core, sorry for the confusion.

Let me add current setup:

• A mixture of AMD Athlon x2 64 2.3 GHz and Intel Pentium Series 2GHz
  • 1.5 - 2 GB RAM

Got that. Thanks.

• 1.5 - 2 GB RAM

You might be able to sell the ram, to increase your budget slightly. However if you go the $150 dual xeon route as I suggested, you should actually be able to pull this off. If I remember correctly Linus didn't include a video card in that budget, but you will have $50 left to buy a cheap one which will probably be good enough as long as you dont do a lot of gaming on it.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

I'd be more concerned with the errors on those systems myself, and once sorted,... just add SSD's to each system (Even cheap ones would be an improvement)

But then again, if any of those motherboards are flaky, then I wouldn't.

I'd be more concerned with the errors on those systems myself, and once sorted,... just add SSD's to each system (Even cheap ones would be an improvement)

But then again, if any of those motherboards are flaky, then I wouldn't.

SSDs not happening. Its too expensive here. 64 GB SSD costs like around 40USD here. I dont have one for myself, though planning it.

You might be able to sell the ram, to increase your budget slightly. However if you go the $150 dual xeon route as I suggested, you should actually be able to pull this off. If I remember correctly Linus didn't include a video card in that budget, but you will have $50 left to buy a cheap one which will probably be good enough as long as you dont do a lot of gaming on it.

Would one card be able to do everything? Like graphics from 6 Users?

SSDs not happening. Its too expensive here. 64 GB SSD costs like around 40USD here. I dont have one for myself, though planning it.

Would one card be able to do everything? Like graphics from 6 Users?

I'm not sure... I mean I'm certain that a single card would be powerful enough for your purposes, however I am unsure whether or not you can split up the processing power of one video card onto 6 users or not. That's a question someone more familiar with the software that Linus used could answer. If it's not possible then you could buy 6 much older cards for like $8 a piece or something, and have one dedicated to each system.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Got that. Thanks.

• 1.5 - 2 GB RAM

So are you saying that you have a budget of $200 for 5 PC? If you have DDR2 in you old ones you will be able to save maybe $30 (assuming each has 2 GB) Um if you like the HDDs you should also keep them(I would suggest you get the license for windows from them and wipe them so you have a clean start.I guess you won't need to buy the PSUs and cases too. So that accounts maybe t0 $10-15 for a CPU each and $10-20 for the mobo each(if you buy used).

If you go with new I would suggest you get the cheapest new CPU you can find($30-35). Get old AMD AM1 sockets CPU! If you get intel you will have to pay more for the MOBO because I think they only sell the LGA 1550(cheapest CPU). The MOBO will cost you around $30-35 and the DDR3 ram will cost you 10 bucks for a 2gig stick. As you can see with your budget you have no choice but to use old components.

NOW if you watched THIS VIDEO:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epIlB49SNTI you will see what they did. That is your best option. You will be able to fit in your budget just fine. NOW the only concern is that you might not find the hardware that can support 5 displays. Just make sure you have. If you will buy this all the components under 150 I would suggest you to get maybe to use GPUs and have them also (maybe old GT 210). Keep in mind that you will probably want to reuse a lot of hardware from the old PCs you have.

P.S Make sure to quote when you answer to someone.  

I'm not sure... I mean I'm certain that a single card would be powerful enough for your purposes, however I am unsure whether or not you can split up the processing power of one video card onto 6 users or not. That's a question someone more familiar with the software that Linus used could answer. If it's not possible then you could buy 6 much older cards for like $8 a piece or something, and have one dedicated to each system.

I don't think that. Unless the card can handle 5 displays(has 5 outputs).

Also keep in mind that not all MOBOs have 5-6 PCIe slots.

So are you saying that you have a budget of $200 for 5 PC? If you have DDR2 in you old ones you will be able to save maybe $30 (assuming each has 2 GB) Um if you like the HDDs you should also keep them(I would suggest you get the license for windows from them and wipe them so you have a clean start.I guess you won't need to buy the PSUs and cases too. So that accounts maybe t0 $10-15 for a CPU each and $10-20 for the mobo each(if you buy used).

If you go with new I would suggest you get the cheapest new CPU you can find($30-35). Get old AMD AM1 sockets CPU! If you get intel you will have to pay more for the MOBO because I think they only sell the LGA 1550(cheapest CPU). The MOBO will cost you around $30-35 and the DDR3 ram will cost you 10 bucks for a 2gig stick. As you can see with your budget you have no choice but to use old components.

NOW if you watched THIS VIDEO:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epIlB49SNTI you will see what they did. That is your best option. You will be able to fit in your budget just fine. NOW the only concern is that you might not find the hardware that can support 5 displays. Just make sure you have. If you will buy this all the components under 150 I would suggest you to get maybe to use GPUs and have them also (maybe old GT 210). Keep in mind that you will probably want to reuse a lot of hardware from the old PCs you have.

P.S Make sure to quote when you answer to someone.  

Would u be able to advise some hardware? like model number and stuff. As you said I have to present the quote to the board before buying and approval. Also would it be better than what we have now? As Tmt97 said I could get GFX card for as low as 8USD ( I know I can, just quoting him), so multiple GFX card would not be a problem.

Would u be able to advise some hardware? like model number and stuff. As you said I have to present the quote to the board before buying and approval. Also would it be better than what we have now? As Tmt97 said I could get GFX card for as low as 8USD ( I know I can, just quoting him), so multiple GFX card would not be a problem.

this looks like a fun challenge. I have to leave for an hour or so, but when i get back ile look around the web and see if i can come up with a potential build for you.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Um, You have to watch the video I posted first to give you an idea. On newegg.com, there is some 4 core used Xeon right now for $64 each http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117466R (open box actually so maybe it is even new). A mobo for it can be found for around $30-40 http://www.ebay.com/sch/LGA-771-Computer-Motherboard/1244/bn_650831/i.html (make sure it has two sockets) So, 65+65+40 = $170 Unless you are willing to increase the budget by around 50 bucks to afford the ram this won't work (16 gigs is around 60-70 new something I would suggest buying new). 

Here is a link to a good offer on eBay to a lot of 2 Xeon for only $20(http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-Intel-Xeon-E5410-SLBBC-2-33GHz-1333MHz-12M-Quad-Core-LGA-771-CPUs-/262217873536?hash=item3d0d673880:g:2aEAAOSwFqJWhWVi) and here is a link for a mobo for $44 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-S5000PSL-Dual-LGA771-Server-Motherboard-S5000PSL-Intel-E11027-302-/391122646255?hash=item5b10b9f4ef:g:Zy8AAOSwEeFVOnoi).You can purchase 5 packs of this ram for 10 bucks each. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/4GB-Memory-RAM-DDR2-PC2-6400-800MHz-Desktop-PC-DIMM-240-Pins-For-AMD-Motherboard-/351483429006?hash=item51d60b808e:g:CsoAAOSwKIpWEjGa) I suggest 20gigs of it because you will need some for the VM controller too. SO 44+20+50=120(roughly) Now you have $80 left for 2 GPUs. They will hopefully have 3 outputs each and that will be fine for 6 displays. I highly suggest going for new ones because they will last you longer. MAKE SURE they have at least 2GB. here is just a suggestion (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150659

P.S sorry for some grammar mistakes i made if you notice any i was just typing this and looking for parts at the same time.

Ok, I came up with a parts list for you that actually might be able to work. Its cutting it pretty close, budget wise, but here it goes.

For storage, you will take the drives in the old computers you have, wipe them, and reuse them in this build.

For the CPUs your gonna get two Intel Xeon E5410s for $20.(This was a deal Ivam50 found, credit to him on the epic bargain hunting."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-Intel-Xeon-E5410-SLBBC-2-33GHz-1333MHz-12M-Quad-Core-LGA-771-CPUs-/262217873536?hash=item3d0d673880:g:2aEAAOSwFqJWhWVi&autorefresh=true

For your motherboard your gonna get a Supermicro X7DCL-3 for $46. It has 3 PCI slots and 3 PCI-E slots. The solution to this is that you will get 3 video cards that use PCI-E and 3 that use PCI.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-X7DCL-3-Motherboard-Dual-LGA771-Socket-Supports-Intel-Xeon-64Bit-CPU-/201345508321?hash=item2ee120a3e1:g:3ywAAOSwPhdVEuiv

The graphics cards will be three Radeon DMS 59s for $5 each, and three Nvidia Geforce FX 5500s for $7.50 each.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radeon-DMS-59-PCI-e-Low-Profile-Video-Graphics-Card-256MB-/171828123086?hash=item2801c115ce:g:2YUAAOSwHjNV8423

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-GeForce-FX-5500-3DFR55256-256-MB-PCI-Graphics-Card-/191774417217?hash=item2ca6a56141:g:ix0AAOSwhkRWfzvC

For your ram, you will need ECC DDR2 ram, and I found you 8 gigs of it for $16.44. And an extra 4 gigs from a different deal for $5.50 for a grand total of 12 gigs of ram. So 2 gigs per VM.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Server-RAM-8GB-4x-2GB-PC2-3200R-2Rx4-ECC-Registered-DDR2-400MHz-240-pin-Memory-/331692199969?hash=item4d3a655021:g:o2cAAOSwYHxWLo6S

Finally, to power this beast, the budget only had $60 left. I asked the community for help with this part and they came up with an EVGA 650 watt PSU for $61 after rebate. I think a 650 watt PSU "SHOULD" be enough to power it, but you may want to check all the components and be sure my napkin math is right about this one.

edit: I did some more research and maths and a 650 watt PSU should have no trouble at all.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-210gq0650

So I hope that helps. This was a pretty fun challenge for me atleast. If you do, this each machine should have about 1.3 cores, 2gigs of ram, and a shitty video card capable of web browsing.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!