NZXT Fans don't fit gigabyte Motherboard???

C0nn0r

I'm just doing my first build with NZXT phantom 530 case and a gigabyte z97x gaming 3 motherboard. I'm a noob but it seems to me that the cables for the NZXT fans (contain 3 pins inside) don't fit onto the ports labeled fan on the mobo which have 4 pins. Is there different types of fan connections and mine aren't compatible?

there should be a "slot" on the female fan connector and a plastic bit on the male motherboard connector, just make sure the two of those are lined up. They can be finicky to get in there but they should fit.  

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

Just now, derick90 said:

there should be a "slot" on the female fan connector and a plastic bit on the male motherboard connector, just make sure the two of those are lined up. They can be finicky to get in there but they should fit.  

So the 3 pinned cable does connect to the 4 pinned connection? I tried and it just sat vert loosely and fell out very easily

Connector_mbfanpwm_3to4pin.png

Thats how it should look 

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

3 minutes ago, derick90 said:

Thats how it should look 

The cable doesn't have holes though. It has its own pins that stick out

it sounds like thats some sort of extension or splitter, is there any other plugs on the fan that you can unplug?

Edit** Either that or use the stock fan hub on the phantom and plug your fans into that and that into the motherboard

HeadsetLogitech G430  

19 minutes ago, derick90 said:

Thats how it should 

13 minutes ago, derick90 said:

it sounds like thats some sort of extension or splitter, is there any other plugs on the fan that you can unplug?

Edit** Either that or use the stock fan hub on the phantom and plug your fans into that and that into the 

14 minutes ago, derick90 said:

Edit** Either that or use the stock fan hub on the phantom and plug your fans into that and that into the motherboard

20160323_004308.jpg

20160323_004315.jpg

20160323_004434.jpg

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/340987-28-nzxt-phantom-crafted-series-connectors found that, read through that forum it sounds like the issue you're having. basically to sum it up though, the fans plug directly into the fan controller that came with the case. and the fan controller plugs into the power supply. 

HeadsetLogitech G430  

The one connector in your hand looks like an extension cable. Probably for the side panel fan. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

8 minutes ago, derick90 said:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/340987-28-nzxt-phantom-crafted-series-connectors found that, read through that forum it sounds like the issue you're having. basically to sum it up though, the fans plug directly into the fan controller that came with the case. and the fan controller plugs into the power supply. 

Think I get it. Thank you very much. Not sure where to plug things into the psu though. Don't want to put anything in the wrong place. 

1 minute ago, C0nn0r said:

Think I get it. Thank you very much. Not sure where to plug things into the psu though. Don't want to put anything in the wrong place. 

There should be a molex connector for the fan controller. That would be all you need to plug into to provide power for the fan controller/hub.  

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

2 minutes ago, Imabigmac said:

There should be a molex connector for the fan controller. That would be all you need to plug into to provide power for the fan controller/hub.  

Yes. There is one of them. With 4 pins on the cable and the 2nd pin missing. Don't know what to connect it to though

5 minutes ago, Imabigmac said:

The psu came with female ended cables that look like this. And there is a cable that looks the same as this male one but with the second pin missing

4pin-power-Molex.jpg

images.jpg

48 minutes ago, C0nn0r said:

The psu came with female ended cables that look like this. And there is a cable that looks the same as this male one but with the second pin missing

4pin-power-Molex.jpg

images.jpg

That will be the power for the controller. Which it needs. If you trace the wires it will go to the front panel area where the actual control level selector is and then a route back to the actual fan hub. 

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Imabigmac said:

But I can't seem to connect them. Is it right that the cable has 3 pins (like 4 but with a middle one missing) and the cable with the psu has 4 holes

10 hours ago, C0nn0r said:

But I can't seem to connect them. Is it right that the cable has 3 pins (like 4 but with a middle one missing) and the cable with the psu has 4 holes

Yes that is fine, one is just a ground, There are two grounds typically. I don't know why you can't connect them, there isn't any reason why they won't work, as long as you referring to the images in just above you last post. 

Spoiler

thats just a fan extension cable

you can just take it out

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

4 hours ago, thekeemo said:

thats just a fan extension cable

you can just take it out

They're actually fans that are meant to hook up to the fan controller that's built into the case... clearly didn't read the thread. 

HeadsetLogitech G430  

Just now, derick90 said:

They're actually fans that are meant to hook up to the fan controller that's built into the case... clearly didn't read the thread. 

I have it in my h440.. that cable comes plugged into the controller.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.