Assigning brightness hotkeys - laptop

Hi guys,

Hardware:

Samsung 7 series laptop

Windows 10

Problem: 

Recently a windows 10 update broke my brightness hotkeys on my laptop. I used to be able to press fn+f2/f3 to adjust my brightness, but no longer! It is not that the function key is broken, the fn+f6/f7 still let me control the volume, and f2/f3 still work normally on their own. I still want the brightness functionality bound to those keys, I'm not here for advice on this issue!!! I have tried lots of fixes, drivers, updates, bios changes. Nothing works. I have given up fixing the root of the problem and just want a hack job to regain the functionality. 

I'm computer literate, so a registry change or hotkey macro thing would be great.

Thanks,
Rob!

most likely a clean install windows 10 would fix this.

did you uninstall the hotkey or whatever samsung calls it driver, reboot, reinstall? this has given me headache in the past, it needs a reboot sometimes in between. Also having a gf who owns a sony laptop, god bless her heart, the drivers have to be installed in a specific order like some ritual to summon satan, otherwise function keys don't work...

pretty sure if you fire up a ubuntu the FN keys will work without any extra drivers, having been using upgraded windows 10 and a clean install, upgraded version gave me nothing but headaches with driver conflicts, various other nonsense too. if you can just do a clean install and then reinstall/restore what you need.

edit: clarification, brightness control FN keys wouldn't work. oh and reboot after the few specific installs too, because sony.

got side tracked, it could likely be driver which allows the FN keys to work for that function rather than the applet whatever for FN keys that is the problem.

Literally just a windows 10 upgrade, did nothing else. My guess is that the windows 10 upgrade might have updated some default drivers, and that the laptop then switched from the 'right' driver to the new windows drivers. But in classic windows style I found a lot of useless pages about updates, but nothing transparent saying how the update... updated whatever it updated.

Clean install is quite drastic. But I might give it a go, or put mint on and see if the FN keys work inside there.