Memtest86 results - is this bad?

Go to solution Solved by MageTank,
Just now, ImShady said:

I've done nothing to the ram at all, so you're thinking it's the Ram itself? Not the slot? I'm think that too considering my other ram stick has not gotten any errors yet on memtest.

And I built this computer myself :)

I am willing to bet its the stick itself. I would test again, to make sure the board was not at fault for improper training, but to fail test #2 (parallel address test) means something is very wrong. If the other memory stick shows no errors in the same slot, then its simple to rule out the CPU IMC and the board itself, making the likely culprit that other memory stick. Thankfully, memory is so cheap these days, that its kind of the one piece of hardware that you want to fail, given the price of other pieces of hardware. not hard to get 16GB of ram for $50 these days here in the US.

So I've had issues with my computer since like September of last year and I've never could figure out what it is.

Once every 2 months or so my computer will freeze, can't move a thing so I have to press the power button on it to turn it off.

then I power it on and my GPU fans will be on 100% and nothing shows up on my display. What fixes this is unplugging my power supply, then it'll start up normally. 

I assumed it was my ram causing this because I've read that RAM is usually the first thing to go in a computer(even though my computer is less than a year old) 

Ran Memtest86 overnight with one stick of ram only and got this(see picture)

I'm running my other ram stick through mem test right now and it's not getting any errors so far. 

Thoughts? Seems like everywhere I look to solve this I get more questions than answers.

Edit: forgot to list specs :P

i3 4160

Gigabyte Radeon 7870

Evga 500w 80+ bronze psu

2x4gb G skill rip jaws memory

1tb WD Blue

Asrock z97 Fatality Killer 

windows 10 64bit

image.jpeg

Edited by ImShady

Well you have 45 errors found on that stick and it should be zero, so it's probably done. I would not take the PSU out of the equation just yet, but it seems like the memory was causing the problems.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, ImShady said:

So I've had issues with my computer since like September of last year and I've never could figure out what it is.

Once every 2 months or so my computer will freeze, can't move a thing so I have to press the power button on it to turn it off.

then I power it on and my GPU fans will be on 100% and nothing shows up on my display. What fixes this is unplugging my power supply, then it'll start up normally. 

I assumed it was my ram causing this because I've read that RAM is usually the first thing to go in a computer(even though my computer is less than a year old) 

Ran Memtest86 overnight with one stick of ram only and got this(see picture)

I'm running my other ram stick through mem test right now and it's not getting any errors so far. 

Thoughts? Seems like everywhere I look to solve this I get more questions than answers.

Yes, this is bad. Test 6 (Block Move) means IMC is not happy at all. 4 is Inversions, meaning the ram itself is not happy either, which is also bad. 7 is also a more precise inversion test, which indicates that something is wrong with a module on the ram itself. You can fix these by adjusting timings, or supplying more voltage, but if you have done nothing to the ram, and this happened randomly, then its signs of memory going bad. 

Are you using an XMP profile by any chance? Is this a pre-built computer, or one you built yourself?

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

16 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Yes, this is bad. Test 6 (Block Move) means IMC is not happy at all. 4 is Inversions, meaning the ram itself is not happy either, which is also bad. 7 is also a more precise inversion test, which indicates that something is wrong with a module on the ram itself. You can fix these by adjusting timings, or supplying more voltage, but if you have done nothing to the ram, and this happened randomly, then its signs of memory going bad. 

Are you using an XMP profile by any chance? Is this a pre-built computer, or one you built yourself?

I've done nothing to the ram at all, so you're thinking it's the Ram itself? Not the slot? I'm think that too considering my other ram stick has not gotten any errors yet on memtest.

19 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Well you have 45 errors found on that stick and it should be zero, so it's probably done. I would not take the PSU out of the equation just yet, but it seems like the memory was causing the problems.

The thing is that it works still which is weird. Only performance issues I've noticed is slight stuttering in games but other than that it seems fine. 

I was was thinking it may be my PSU too but not entirely sure. When I built this computer the 20-pin connector refused to latch into the slot no matter how hard I pressed. I recently got it to latch but this issue has been happening well before that.

Just now, ImShady said:

I am willing to bet its the stick itself. I would test again, to make sure the board was not at fault for improper training, but to fail test #2 (parallel address test) means something is very wrong. If the other memory stick shows no errors in the same slot, then its simple to rule out the CPU IMC and the board itself, making the likely culprit that other memory stick. Thankfully, memory is so cheap these days, that its kind of the one piece of hardware that you want to fail, given the price of other pieces of hardware. not hard to get 16GB of ram for $50 these days here in the US.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Alright I'm gonna go throw the other ram stick into the slot that got me the errors and see if anything happens.

hopefully my warranty is still available my computer is only 9 or 10 months old

i really appreciate the help cause I'm not very smart with this stuff haha. 

24 minutes ago, ImShady said:

The thing is that it works still which is weird. Only performance issues I've noticed is slight stuttering in games but other than that it seems fine. 

I was was thinking it may be my PSU too but not entirely sure. When I built this computer the 20-pin connector refused to latch into the slot no matter how hard I pressed. I recently got it to latch but this issue has been happening well before that.

That's the problem, usually these parts doesn't outright die, but start causing problems. It will still work, but cause problems here and there. And as @MageTank said since RAM is not that expensive is usually better/less of a headache just to replace it or in your case RMA it. 

If you want you could buy one of these handy things called PSU tester, it shows you voltages and PSU latency, to check if something is acting up. :)

tester_cm_24pin.jpg

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

2 hours ago, MageTank said:

So I'm thinking it's just that stick of ram cause I've had my other one running in the same slot and haven't got any errors yet. It's only on pass number 4 but my other stick had like 4 or 5 errors on pass 4.