can't decide on which DDR4 ram to get. recommend me.

Go to solution Solved by Ostwind,
19 minutes ago, Rolfejc said:

Just about anything will work to be honest. I would generally go with the cheapest option as long as it's compatible with your build since in general the memory won't make a huge difference if you go with faster memory over slower memory, although this may be different for 3D rendering but I'm not too familiar with that. 

Ram speed does make a difference in gaming(idk about 3d rendering)

Hello o/

I live in nsw, Australia and plan on ordering from www.pccasegear.com/
upgrading my current system to;
i7 6700k (I plan on doing high OC'ing).
Fatal1ty Z170 Professional Gaming i7.
but I'm not sure which RAM to get, I searched some forums saying you get the CAS and divide by the MHz speed and lower is better.
doing this resulted in almost most ram being 0.005 or higher, so why the price differences? I'm not sure? buy low CAS then overclock it?
I'm aiming for 2x8gb sticks, price does not matter, performance does matter, red would match the build ;) but not needed.
I'm only buying RAM from this page PcCaseGear dual-channel DDR4 product list.

system is for gaming, 3D rendering and as a hobby.

Just about anything will work to be honest. I would generally go with the cheapest option as long as it's compatible with your build since in general the memory won't make a huge difference if you go with faster memory over slower memory, although this may be different for 3D rendering but I'm not too familiar with that. 

11 minutes ago, Rolfejc said:

do you reckon ram compatibility matters? the motherboard i want to get does not say it supports most of the ram on pccasegear.

Just now, Hakisak said:

do you reckon ram compatibility matters? the motherboard i want to get does not say it supports most of the ram on pccasegear.

Check PCPartPicker.

Just now, Hakisak said:

I would say generally not really. Almost any memory should work with that motherboard. 

25 minutes ago, Hakisak said:

Waste of money to overclock, the 6700 already turbos to 4ghz

far as RAM goes just buy whatever's cheapest.

Also if you're doing 3-D go 5820K it costs the same as the 6700K anyways and gives you more cores

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

19 minutes ago, Rolfejc said:

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Just now, Ostwind said:

It does depend on the game. Also if I am not mistaken it generally makes a big difference in some titles when the CPU isn't powerful enough. 

Just now, Ostwind said:

Ram speed does make a difference in gaming

less than 5%, in CPU bound situations with skylake, in any case an intel quad core running at 3+ghz is going to be pushing just about every game past 60fps no problems

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Rolfejc said:

It does depend on the game. Also if I am not mistaken it generally makes a big difference in some titles when the CPU isn't powerful enough. 

Games like GTA5 and Witcher 3 can still be CPU bound with an Skylake i7 and we're just getting into games that finally use 4+ cores properly, with the minimal price difference that faster RAM can be had over slower stuff there's really no reason to not get the fast kits. We're not just talking about 5% or less here this thread has some info.

7 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

less than 5%, in CPU bound situations with skylake, in any case an intel quad core running at 3+ghz is going to be pushing just about every game past 60fps no problems

See above

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Waste of money to overclock, the 6700 already turbos to 4ghz

far as RAM goes just buy whatever's cheapest.

Also if you're doing 3-D go 5820K it costs the same as the 6700K anyways and gives you more cores

i wanted to try and get the 6700k to ~4.6GHz.
i thought about it, it would only add another ~$200 AUD. but most games i'v found only use the first two cores and having a high clock rate would benefit that better than having more cores at slower speed. unless im wrong and the 5820k can be overclocked so each core is more powerful than an 6700k core? 

1 minute ago, Hakisak said:

i thought about it, it would only add another ~$200 AUD. but most games i'v found only use the first two cores and having a high clock rate would benefit that better than having more cores at slower speed. unless im wrong and the 5820k can be overclocked so each core is more powerful than an 6700k core? 

for gaming the 6700k is better

3 minutes ago, Ostwind said:

Games like GTA5 and Witcher 3 can still be CPU bound with an Skylake i7 and we're just getting into games that finally use 4+ cores properly, with the minimal price difference that faster RAM can be had over slower stuff there's really no reason to not get the fast kits.

See above

Isn't it more than 4+ cores though? DX12 seems to use six cores along with some games like the Witcher 3, however I don't really think something like an i7 6700k for example is bottlenecked in even some of the most CPU intensive games. 99% of the time it seems to be the GPU, with the i7 you get at max roughly around ~10 more FPS but an overclocked i5 can match that easily. The i7 mainly seems to give better minimum frame rates and less stuttering if the CPU spikes to 100% for a few seconds. 

6 minutes ago, Ostwind said:

Games like GTA5 and Witcher 3 can still be CPU bound with an Skylake i7 and we're just getting into games that finally use 4+ cores properly, with the minimal price difference that faster RAM can be had over slower stuff there's really no reason to not get the fast kits.

See above

if if its 5% I don't mind paying premium for RAM, but as my original question; so there would be a difference between buying (AUD) $139 vs $169 RAM? even though if you divide the CAS by the frequency you still get 0.005?

30 minutes ago, Hakisak said:

Hello o/

I live in nsw, Australia and plan on ordering from www.pccasegear.com/
upgrading my current system to;
i7 6700k (I plan on doing high OC'ing).
Fatal1ty Z170 Professional Gaming i7.
but I'm not sure which RAM to get, I searched some forums saying you get the CAS and divide by the MHz speed and lower is better.
doing this resulted in almost most ram being 0.005 or higher, so why the price differences? I'm not sure? buy low CAS then overclock it?
I'm aiming for 2x8gb sticks, price does not matter, performance does matter, red would match the build ;) but not needed.
I'm only buying RAM from this page PcCaseGear dual-channel DDR4 product list.

system is for gaming, 3D rendering and as a hobby.

G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C16D-16GTZB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4

Not that it will make a great deal of difference. But they do look good. :)

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Just now, Hakisak said:

Games use around  4 cores now, some more, why spend hundreds of dollars for like .5 ish ghz OC over the turbo on the locked chip? Unless you're gaming at 144hz it's not going to matter, and in any case the extra cores on the 5820K are going to be more useful, plus it's the higher end platform, fair bit more premium as well

5820K owners thread

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18620525

Spoiler

I should mention that I'm using a EVGA GTX 980 Video card, running windows-7(will NOT upgrade to 10) and with my Benq XL2420G, i try and play games at 144fps.

9 minutes ago, Ostwind said:

for gaming the 6700k is better

Cuz that extra 10fps going from 90fps to 100fps is really going to be worth it...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Rolfejc said:

Isn't it more than 4+ cores though? DX12 seems to use six cores along with some games like the Witcher 3, however I don't really think something like an i7 6700k for example is bottlenecked in even some of the most CPU intensive games. 99% of the time it seems to be the GPU, with the i7 you get at max roughly around ~10 more FPS but an overclocked i5 can match that easily. The i7 mainly seems to give better minimum frame rates and less stuttering if the CPU spikes to 100% for a few seconds. 

Yes and the more cores games end up using the harder something with just 4 cores(even with HT) will have to work. This applies to the OC'd i5 too which will lag behind an i7 even when clocks are matched in more heavily CPU bound games, considering that there will be a performance difference for very little price difference it would be a good buy.

(ignore title, shows performance difference between OC'd i5/i7 w/ Titan X in several games)

7 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Cuz that extra 10fps going from 90fps to 100fps is really going to be worth it...

That's up the the individual to decide, however the fact is that it performs better in gaming. Since that is one of the uses the OP has for their soon to be built PC it is something to consider.

edit

considering that op has a 144 hz display the 6700k makes even more sense, since the 5820k will be more expensive and hand in lower performance.

10 minutes ago, Hakisak said:

I should mention that I'm using a EVGA GTX 980 Video card, running windows-7(will NOT upgrade to 10) and with my Benq XL2420G, i try and play games at 144fps.

Possibly worth it then, though did you really pay that much for a 1080p 144hz TN display?

in any case, I'd still probably go for the 6 core CPU, it makes a little more sense to OC that anyways as it turbos to only 3.6ghz

the forum I was looking for

http://www.overclock.net/t/1510388/haswell-e-overclock-leaderboard-owners-club

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Possibly worth it then, though did you really pay that much for a 1080p 144hz TN display?

in any case, I'd still probably go for the 6 core CPU, it makes a little more sense to OC that anyways as it turbos to only 3.6ghz

yes? what other options did i have (unless i pay $1k for a IPS one)? plus it had HDMI ports (compared to models with DP only).
Im getting the kraken x61 (280mm radiator) and i have very good air-con (room can stay below 19c in summer if thats what i set it too).
do you reckon a high overclocked 5820k would outperform a 4.6GHz 6700k when only benchmarking the first 2 or 4 cores?

if the 6700k performs +10fps more than the 5820k then im willing to sacrifice 3D stuff for gaming.

4 minutes ago, Hakisak said:

Well, coulda gotten a free-sync display of the same type for $200 less

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/aoc-monitor-g2460pf

or $100 more for a 4k IPS free-sync display

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/lg-monitor-27mu67

Well, sorry you're stuck with G-sync anyways

far as the CPU goes, why sacrifice CPU performance for a few more fps for slightly smoother gameplay? You're sacrificing 4 potential threads for a relatively small gain for gaming in AAA titles.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

i was aware that Nvidia cards did not work with freesync.
I needed the monitor to be 144hz, and i dont like 4k (to much resolution=poor fps+internet too slow to watch 4k).

8 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

dont tell me that i should have gotten a AMD card, last time that was a nightmare, never again. now i tell everyone to go Nvidia :)

Edited by Hakisak
that might have come off as me being angry :)