DNS "::1"?

Flanelman

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place for this, sorry if it isn't. I am trying to connect two clients (win 7,8.1) to my windows server 2012, and I checked the DNS in CMD and it was "::1" and i was wondering if this is right? and also, will it work if i put ::1 as the DNS for the clients to connect them?  (i'm trying to add the two client machines to the domain I created, they are all VM's). I googled it and found that ::1 is ipv6 for  127.0.0.1 in ipv4, so would it work if i just put that as the DNS?

thanks in advance :)

1 minute ago, Flanelman said:

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place for this, sorry if it isn't. I am trying to connect two clients (win 7,8.1) to my windows server 2012, and I checked the DNS in CMD and it was "::1" and i was wondering if this is right? and also, will it work if i put ::1 as the DNS for the clients to connect them?  (i'm trying to add the two client machines to the domain I created, they are all VM's). I googled it and found that ::1 is ipv6 for  127.0.0.1 in ipv4, so would it work if i just put that as the DNS?

thanks in advance :)

I would say to use google's dns which is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

My native language is C++

Assuming this is a local network, why are you messing with DNS settings?

Normally, on a local computer, the DNS and gateway addresses can be the same (will be the local address of your router). The router then forwards the DNS request to the DNS server provided by the ISP. This is usually all done automatically and by default settings.

So, unless your Windows Server device is routing network traffic, whatever issue that is causing you to ask this question is not going to be DNS related.

7 minutes ago, beavo451 said:

Assuming this is a local network, why are you messing with DNS settings?

Normally, on a local computer, the DNS and gateway addresses can be the same (will be the local address of your router). The router then forwards the DNS request to the DNS server provided by the ISP. This is usually all done automatically and by default settings.

So, unless your Windows Server device is routing network traffic, whatever issue that is causing you to ask this question is not going to be DNS related.

I'm trying to put two client VM's onto my windows server domain so i need the clients to have the same DNS as my server. :)

Really all i need to do is figure out what the DNS address actually is. :)