Running old games in newer versions of Windows

I've been trying to run Raymond 3: Hoodlum Havoc from GOG on my Windows Server 2012 R2 PC, but every time I launch it I get an error saying "Check your version of DirectX. Version 8.1 or higher is required." I know I'll get someone saying that it doesn't work because I have Windows Server, but I've tweaked Windows a lot and everything else works, so I don't think that's the issue. I have a 290x, so yeah I don't think it's a problem with my graphics card running a game from 2003. I checked my dxdiag and it says I have the feature levels support of DirectX 11.1,11.0,10.1,10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1. It doesn't however say DirectX 8.1, so maybe my OS supports everything from 9.1- 11.1 and nothing before, but I don't know. I've tried compatibility mode with everything from Windows 95 to Windows 7 and It's the same error every time. I don't know if maybe it just can't find my DirectX install or what. What can I do to fix this? I'd prefer to not install a VM just to run this game, but I guess I will if that's all I can do to get it to work. I'll be happy to provide you guys with any more info to help, thanks!

set the game to compatibility mode in windows 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

5 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

set the game to compatibility mode in windows 

You mean a different Windows version in comparability mode? Like it said, I've already tried that.

You could try running it as an administrator, but other than that looks like a VM is your best bet.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

8 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

You could try running it as an administrator, but other than that looks like a VM is your best bet.

Yeah, running as admin doesn't work either. Thanks though.